3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many bows are too many?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How many bows are too many?
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I know, I know, you can't have too many, but how many can you have and still work them into a rotation where they all get shot and utilized?  I have 4 now and two on the way and I had been doing so well with only 3, which is the number that I had previously said was an acceptable limit.  Now I am trying to convince myself that 6 is the new 3.  It would probably be easier if they were all similar in nature, but there is a wide variance between them.  The bad part is, I know I shoot better when I only shoot one, but life seems awful short and boring to only have one bow.

So, how many do you shoot on a regular basis and feel it doesn't detract too much from your accuracy?
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many bows are too many?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I decided a couple year's ago that I was gonna stick with one bow, so I ordered a silvertip. I've shot this bow exclusively for the whole year. No change in setup, glove, arrows, nothin! I can honestly say it has not been boring. I can pick that bow up and shoot it without thought. It just feel's natural. Kinda nice, I like it that way!    :thumbsup:  Good luck in whatever you choose! Jason

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Guess everyone might be looking for the Holy Grail of Trad. Have 7 LB's & 1 coming that may be that. In which case I'll sell all but 2...or 3...maybe 4.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Crash,I have the same problem. I just got the
Widow I've been looking for,but to help me out
in the numbers game I got 3 Morrison ILF sets,
with different limb configurations,and wood
blends that keeps me busy. And Covey, I wish I
could be more like you! you've heard it before
I'm sure..."beware the man with one bow."
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Riiighttt.   :saywhat:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Jarrod you did not tell everyone that all of took place in the last 45 days....   :laughing:      :laughing:
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Between the wife and myself we have over 25 bows, some are retired, some just too uggly or too fussy to shoot and few in the closet being punished. That leaves about 10 that we shoot regularly. We need more bows!

James................................
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Jeesh Tom, don't tell everyone.  I'm not looking for the Holy Grail, it doesn't exist, trust me, I spent years looking for it already.  Tastes change, fickle as the wind, indecisive, what is it that makes us change, want to change, or otherwise occupy ourselves with getting rid of bows for other bows that really aren't any better than the ones we already have?
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
"In the closet being punished"   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
Maybe the question should be "When do you need a bigger closet"?

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
My srable consists of about 25.8 old B,ears I cherish,3 sweet longbows and the rest selfbows.I usally choose one longbow to hunt with for the season and whatever my latest selfbow is.I have found that I can miss with any of them equally!Glen

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I did own about 17 bows at one time. Many went 'unshot',if there is such a word'.
Slowly I have moved my way down to five bows; all of the same manufacturer. Now when I reach for a bow, all the grips are the same, and I feel much more confident with that first shot.
How many are too many?  As many as you would like.
Ken Thornhill

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
I've tried to get the numbers down to a couple of times then I see or read something and before you know it there's another one showing up at the door...I'll send one out and two more move in  :dunno:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
I can only hold one at a time.If you are getting multiple bows in the same poundage I dont see a point for so many.I'd rather have dozens of arrows to make up and design different ways and only a bow or two to shoot them out of.JMHO

Besides I like to get comfortable with my bow and to many would make that hard,I wouldn't want to neglect the others.  :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Wanting to make sure all of your bows are recieving some attention/shooting time is more difficult than just being a collector.  I can't shoot all the bows I have now, but I still want more. I like aquiring/collecting beautiful custom bows of all makes.  I've always said if money were not an issue (it is) I would have a bow from every bowyer I was aware of.  Some collect model trains, some collect vintage muscle cars, guns, fishing lures, dolls, sports cards, the list is endless.  I have choosen trad bows.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Well said Burnsie.

My thoughts exactly.

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
:biglaugh:   How many bows are too many!!   :laughing:    Almost bought a new bow last week-end when my wife asked me the same question.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
I'm a one woman man and a one bow man(except for my Wasp bowfishing rig), so I don't have that "problem". Personally, I just never did see the need to have multiple bows just for hunting, except maybe a backup bow. I also could understand having an extra bow for hunting extra large or dangerous game.

Now, if you're a collector or a competitive target shooter, I can understand that better.

I reckon if you can afford it, then more could be better!    :rolleyes:    :dunno:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
I only have 26 bows that I actively shoot and hunt with. I almost have enough but need to add a Great Northern Critter Getter to go with my GN CG special, a Big Jim or two, must have one of the new Bear Kodiak magnums to go with the one Fred sent me when I was younger, My Raptor self bows are both designed for Elk and Moose so I will need a Whitetail Raptor Osage with sinew and snake skin, and maybe a take down Raptor for a trip to Alaska that I have been thinking about recently (past 40 years). Then I am done. Oh, Wait, Africa, what will I take to Africa? I guess I need a couple of Howard Hills as well.
Dav

Offline GreenGrizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I'm a relative newbie and only have 5 with another on the way (that's not counting the youth bows I've got for the Grandkids). I'm not sure how many I'll end up with but I've probably got at least three on my short list. I agree with the earlier post that 3 bows are easy to rotate. I shoot relatively heavy and usually start with a lighter bow to warm up and then move to the heavier bows.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
When you can no longer afford the arramony.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©