3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many bows are too many?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline wheelie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many bows are too many?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
I figure you have to many when you no longer have space to put them.  :)   :)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Main hunting bow, identical back up hunting bow.  Lighter weight form practice and target bow with identical back up. And a self bow. Light and heavy bows are the same bow from the same manufacturer.  Essentially shooting the same bow all the time. I even have the arrow weight set up so they impact at the same point at 20 yards.

For me it is 5 bows.  If you can't shoot them all in a months time for me it is to many.  But then again I am a less is more guy.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
1 bow for general hunting.

1 backup hunting bow set up just like the first. That's just in case something "happens" to the first.

1 bow for bowfishing.

1 backup bowfishing bow, in case something "happens" to the first. Set up exactly the same.

annnndddd....1 or two oldies that are no good for shooting anymore to put up on the man room wall.

I still haven't talked my wife into letting me having even those few.   :readit:

I am a one bow kinda guy for the most part. So to answer your original question. I think 4 is within reason to me for actual shooting.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by wheelie:
I figure you have to many when you no longer have space to put them.   :)     :)  
That is my philosophy, and I seem to be just about at that point.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
i have 2 bows right now.  both get shot eqauly.  now i have a 3d one coming in.  idk which bows going to be shot less when the new one comes but ill try to give them all a turn here and there.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
There is NO such thing. (to many bow) give me a break   :mad:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I'm hovering around a dozen. I just shot these already this morning:

-Bear A Mag
-Bear B Mag
-Silvertip

Last night I shot those plus a Super Wildcat, Widow PSAIII and The Stick.
Recurves all. :40-49#, 56-60".

I think more about how I'm shooting than what I'm shooting. I start with the 40# and end with the 59# -- beats the treadmill.

In fact, my one and only Longbow goes to USPS tomorrow morning.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Whoops, also shot a 56" ChekMate last night 48# @ 26".  This bow by the way was marked 49@28" and it is really 54# at 28"!

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
"I'd rather have dozens of arrows to make up and design different ways and only a bow or two to shoot them out of.JMHO"

Got to agree with lpjon2. I get a new bow then if I keep the old one I tend to shoot them all. The problem for me is that I have a hard enough time with one. seems like the bow is only the piece of equipment in which to launch the arrow. IMO only.
Although I can see where "collecting" makes since. But as far as shooting I personly only want one.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
one main and one backup is enough I am trying to simplify my life.

I have a Super Kodiak TD that I've had forever and only used a few years I am going to sell it and pay my vet bill. Someone should have it that shoots it and enjoys it instead of sitting on my bow rack.

Personally I think guns bows ect should be used not hoarded. Note thats how I feel you all are welcome to fill you homes with them if thats what you enjoy. I have no problem with others hobbies.

Offline IndianCreek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
I got back to trad about a year ago and have bought 12 or so bows since then. Cant stop looking for the perfect bow.  My most recent is a Schafer Silvertip and it may slow me down for a while. Best one I have bought yet. I really think it is best to shoot one bow and know it like the back of your hand.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Too many bows? What's that mean?

No such thing. I have bows I shoot regularly. I have bows I shoot on special occasions. I have bows that I used to shoot but have now "put out to pasture" and enjoy just looking at.

I suppose if your robbing the neighbors or jacking liquer stores to pay for bows, you might be on the edge. But I think that may be more an issue with impulse control than having too many bows.

I love looking at my walls full of bows. I love shooting them all. I only have to be really "on" with the one I choose to hunt with for the year. The rest of them I can just have fun with at 3Ds, fun shoots or with buddies in the field.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
You can seek that one "awesome" bow that suits your quirks and form issues OR you can get to know the quirks and issues that one bow has and master it.

I have a bow with flaws but I know it well and shoot it well. We will hunt together until such time as one of us expires.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
Man.. I have 2.. and they are the same except for poundage... One for lite wt one heavier...

I haven't bought a bow in three years... I hope there is nothing wrong with me?
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
This is a great topic, you guys have too many bows. Now, who wants to sell me a short shrew or thunderchild    hah  lol

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
The most I have had at one time was eight.  I now have two Mohawks, with another on the way, and my first stickbow a Pearson recurve.  That will bring me up to four but I'm thinking I would like to have a Hill to mess around with and maybe a '50s style recurve...I'll back to eight before I know it   ;)

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
That's kind of my problem Eric.  Got it down to three and thought, I've got it covered and under control.  Then a Shrew Classic Hunter showed up and a 50's style Thunderstick is on the way and then a David Miller Hill style wanted to join in and bang, back to 6.  

I have been thru a ton of bows and I can honestly say that I can shoot just about any bow decent, so why do I need 6?  Heck if I know.  I build up, get to feeling bad because they hang on the wall, sell some, buy some, sell some, buy some, it's a vicious cycle.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Swiftspeed10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Ughhh =( Just ordered a new bow for no reason I just saw a pic of a tradganger's and HAD to order one.  I have a feeling this might happen every year!
Benny
-------------------------------------------------------------
Centaur Glass 57# at 28" (58")
Sauk Trail Kenu 40# at 27" (52")--->waiting for build

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
When you have so many bows that you can not find or remember which one is your favorite, you have to many bows.  Oh no, I have too many bows.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
When you have to buy a bigger house!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©