3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many bows are too many?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many bows are too many?
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
I "Peaked" at 32 customs on the rack... My better half thought our bedroom was becomming a sporting goods store [ You have to use every available wall when you live in a "Small Log home" ]

I'm keeping it simple, at least for today     :wavey:        :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
I'm not kidding here, in less than 12 months I thought I bought my last recureve 2 or 3 times.  The only thing I can say for sure at this point is I know I won't be saying that for a while.

The sponsors have terrific ads, the magazines publish great stories, but no one can sell a bow like  the regular bowhunters on this site!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Best that I not comment.  I have way to many bows. ha ha...   :knothead:

Offline weezy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I just tell myself that everyone collects something even if it's just dust. L.O.L.
Bob
TRADITIONAL ARCHERY
It's been in my blood for 40 plus  years.
It's priceless!

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
I have never been able to understand collectors of any sort. I guess I am a pragmatist and believe in practical uses for most things. As a hunter I want to be the most accurate that I can be. Therefore, if a bow has a purpose for a certain game animal then it will go in the collection. Right now I have one bow (thanks to a trade) and don't see myself buying another bow unless I want to go lighter or heavier. The game animal I go after will dictate that. Cheers  :)

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
i know a man that owns two 52 pound Schulz longbows, his new one is 30 years old and he thinks that is excessive.  I think some of us have OCD, my wife is convinced that I do. She has her new NAT and wants to get rid of her other bows.

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Don't know,haven't reached that number yet.Have another one coming tomorrow,maybe that's it.  :dunno:

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
"Too many bows" is an oxymoron.

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I have owned many bows and still own 4. I beleive in shooting one bow for everything. I don't know about anyone else but i can't get good with a bow if i'm switching bows all the time. I do enjoy collecting old bows though.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
I guess that it would depend on each individual.  From a strictly pragmatict standpoint it would be anything over 1.  Shoot the heaviest bow that you could accuratly and be done. You would learn that bow inside and out and be totally familier with it.  However with the nature of recurves and longbows you will need to have access to several to determine what that weight was since they are not adjustable for poundage.  How do I know that I cannot shoot a 70# bow unless I have/try one.  For myself and many others, I look at traditional bows not only as a tool to take game, but also as a work of art if you will.  I appreciate the different designs, woods etc of different bows.  As long as my family is not negatively affected by the number of bows I have I do not feel that I have "too many".  I fully understand that I would probably be a better shot if I were to stick to just one bow, but I enjoy having several to choose from when I go hunting/shooting.  If you are happy having only one bow and are effective with it that is great.  If someone likes to own/shoot several different bows then that is great too.  If you are happy with the number of bows that you own, then that is the number that is the "right number"

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
How much money is to much?

I don't think there is such a thing is there   :readit:
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline jon boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
A trad friend of mine told me many years when I asked how many bows he had, " IF you know how many bows you have, than you haven't got enough."  As long as you can afford it I guess.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
15 longbows and 15 recurves. The recurves are mostly light weight ones for the nephews and other kids to shoot. Couple of bowfishing bows in there for me.
The longbows are all custom bows, collected over 25+ years. I would buy a new one but never got rid of any. At this point I am starting to thin the herd a little. Now when i want to buy one I sell 2 to pay for it. As for as room for them, I just build a new rack if I need room.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Lippe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
I have 5 recurves  and 2 longbows and I shoot them all. I have tried to be a 1 bow guy, but I like variety and having choices. It's obvious to me that there isn't such a thing as too many bows. Lippe

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I don't know the answer but I know it is somewhere north of seven. Seven is a perfectly acceptable number and probably a necessity.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
To many bows   :saywhat:   If you have a place to store them....If you can afford to get them. If you like to buy ,sell trade and wheel and deal them, The I would say 411 may be to many. I'm down to 23 or 24   :dunno:   Just sold one and will order a new one next week. Hey I like bows.......long ones, short ones, new ones, old ones, self made ones, I like bows!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
The only reason I have several is that I'm still looking for 'the one.' That being said, if this Eagle Wing keeps impressing me like it has been, I won't be trying any more of the others. Sixby really nailed what works for me with this one! I think it is probably 'the one'!!! Of course, it'll need a set of limbs lighter than 69#'s!!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Doesn't Caciatorri have someting like 80 or 90? And very nice ones at that.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by DTD:
"Too many bows" is an oxymoron.
Well said, Doug !!! My feelings persactly.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
WHAT??? No such number exists! You can own and enjoy and dare I say, shoot well multiple bows for multiple purposes. Or just look at them.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©