3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 450 grains/190 fps, enough to kill what?  (Read 435 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
450 grains/190 fps, enough to kill what?
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
I don't have much experience with hunting yet. I was wondering what the above combination was good enough for for killing what animal?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 450 grains/190 fps, enough to kill what?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
White tailed deer, possibly bear. It depends how straight the arrow is when it hits the target. You must match it to your bow. This set up would work for roughly a 45# - 50# bow. With a bow this light 500 grains plus would be an improvement but 450 should still work. Its much more important to hit the animal in the vitals with a SHARP broadhead.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
I matched it up with my bow very carefully. At my drawlenght the bow delivers 45 pounds, so it is 10 grains/lbs. I shoot for soem years now, but never hunted.  
I can shoot very accurate, the bow/arrow combination works very well for me, the vital zone won't be a problem till 30 yards.... And I DO have some very sharp Magnum Broadheads, honed by myself.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
IMO.. at 10 gpp or so your good to go with a super sharp BH in the right place ...  go get um!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Sounds great Flying, and you are accurate too as you say. Practicing for hunting means a variety of conditions, up and down, and unknown yardages.
Practice stump shooting and 'picking a spot' as much as you can from different angles and positions; kneeling, crouching, sitting, etc. and bring your camera when you go!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Bjorn,

I practice between 15 and 50 yards, all different distances all he time at a session. I do it in any postion, even laying on my belly! ( and yes, I am talking bowshooting here!   :)  )
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
What do you plan on hunting?  Not sure what you have there to hunt, but that set-up would be fine for whitetail deer and black bear here.

If you plan on boar I would want at least 500gr.  

I killed a 100lb sow the other day. Shot dead nuts in the shoulder at 20 yds and got bout eight inches penetration. She had no shield. If it had been the big boar that was with her I would have had a problem. I shoot 555gr.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
That setup would kill a pronghorn, probably blow clean through.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Anything you want to hunt! It's where you put the arrow that is more important.  :thumbsup:
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
Deer, bear, goats.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
PUt a razor sharp head on the arrow, put it in the boiler room and get ready to eat some wild game! This is nearly exactly my same set up, I hunt deer and turkey here in KY, have taken 14 deer and 10 turkey's with trad gear and this set up. Pm me if I can help any.
samuel koger

Offline jon boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Anything smaller than a moose and nicer than a grizzly.  I would also shoot narrower broadheads for maximum penetration.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Keep us informed of the outcome.

Hopefully, it will be grand.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Seem good to me, like everyone else says it's more important where you hit with a sharp broadhead !

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
Hi Neighbour traditionnal bow addict, nice speed for a 450 grs arrows !!! acording to the test i can read in TBM

i think you can kill properly many things but remenber

"speed don't kill" ... in this i'm a true believer

:notworthy:
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:
I matched it up with my bow very carefully. At my drawlenght the bow delivers 45 pounds, so it is 10 grains/lbs. I shoot for soem years now, but never hunted.  
I can shoot very accurate, the bow/arrow combination works very well for me, the vital zone won't be a problem till 30 yards.... And I DO have some very sharp Magnum Broadheads, honed by myself.
Hi Flying Dutchman!
I was wondering how you get your broadheads,,,  The European Bowhunting Association has just issued a warning about traveling via the Netherlands with broadheads, even in checked baggage,,,  seems they are illegal to import and are being confiscated by the Dutch border police, there have been threats of fines and even arrest and imprisonment...  
They have advised NOT to travel via Holland when travelling to hunt.  I have been forced to change my flight plans for hunting this year...
Other than that I agree with the other posters about your set up.
Stand up and say it loud: I am a gap-shooter and proud!
(Although I sometimes use the force)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Hi Buejeger,

I am aware that broadheads are illegal in The Netherlands. Just as daggers and walking around with a knife in the woods... But I don't pay attention to that.  
There are several ways to get your broadheads. I always imported then simply from the US straight to The Netherlands and I never had a problem with it. I used to order them from 3-Rivers archery.
If you encounter problems with traveling over The Netherlands, then order them on forehand and send them to the adress you are staying.... If you are staying with friends, it is dead-easy!

Besides of that: If I drive 15 kilometer I am in Belgium. Broadheads are not forbidden there.... One of my Archery shops is located 500 meter from the Belgium Border. He delivers broadheads, but if he sells them we walk till we are in Belgium. There he sells them to me and then we walk back. So he did nothing illegal....    :knothead:

Now, how is the hunting arranged in Norway? Do you hunt a lot over there????
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by kibok&ko:
Hi Neighbour traditionnal bow addict, nice speed for a 450 grs arrows accordind to the test i can read in TBM

i think you can kill properly many things but remenber

"speed don't kill" ... in this i'm a true believer

:notworthy:  
Hi "almost" neighbour from France (Belgium is between us), what do you mean with TBM?

How is bowhunting in France? I got an invitation to come to Perpignan to shoot some big, mean, nasty hogs.....but they seem to taste great! I can smell the bacon already....
I am really looking forward for that..
How is the hunt arranged there? Do you need any paperwork or do you have to pay much????
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
For me - anything legal to hunt in North America.

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Hi again FD,
thanks for your answer..  a good workaround   :D  

Here in Norway, no problems with broadheads, bowhunting though is not yet legal, but the Norwegian bowhunting association is working hard on getting that the law that forbids it changed..  its just a matter of wording really, as per today the law says that projectiles must be powered by gunpowder....  we hope to get this changed soon, In Denmark it is legal up to Roe deer size, and it looks like Sweden is going to be successful too... so I hope we will follow soon   :)  
In the mean time I have to travel overseas to hunt.
Stand up and say it loud: I am a gap-shooter and proud!
(Although I sometimes use the force)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©