3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Having trouble bow stringing  (Read 617 times)

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Having trouble bow stringing
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the replys everyone.  I do slide the rubber all the way to the loop so I'm with you there.

Never thought of retying to shorten the string.  seems a lot simpler than what I am doing.  Think I'll try that and the one foot/leg lift technique after I get my daughter to bed.  I was pulling with my shoulder instead of lifting with my legs.  

I do feel like i just cant get the right leverage because of where the rubber pad is on the limb.

I am interested to see how the webster stringer works too.

I feel like I am close but there is a lot of tension going on and I just dont feel like i have control of it.  If something were to pop or slip it could be really bad.  I am all about trying to gain mechanical advantage/control over this situation.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
ragingwater told me about the webster.i bought one from joe skip.it works great for all my bows.i have a black mountain sheepeater 58 pounder with static limb tips.it was a real pain to get the string on without twisting a limb.it is now easy and safer with the webster.thanks ragingwater and joe skipp.i'll never need another,steve

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
DO NOT TIE A KNOT IN THE STRINGER >

I had an old friend who was a saint of a man who took all us young bowhunters under his wing.

One of my bowhutning buddies borrowed his stringer and tied a knot in it to shorted it .

Ole Charlie fussed a little but forgot about it, until he was stringing his herters one day when were all at work ( he was retired ), he met me in my driveway that evening when I got in from work.

He said come over to the house , I walked over and he met me at the door. He said come upstairs.

When I entered his mancave there were bear metric magnums stuck in every wall in the place . The stringer had broke and the bear 6 arrow quiver came loose to sling arrows everwhere . I had to laugh until he showed me the stringer had broke in the knot !
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline free2bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Maybe we should also be talking about the two pegs mounted to a workbench to come into contact with the lower limb curve and the grip so that the upper limb can be bent easily by hand.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
I think pulling on both tips evenly is the way to go. Those rubber things put more stress on one limb and could damage your bow,JMHO

James...................
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
I much prefer pulling evenly on the tips...even though I've used the Selway stringer for years. I had an 80# Martin Hunter that was almost impossible to string with the Selway...and I was 10 years younger then!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Hint with the standard recurve stringer. Place the foot off the center of the string toward the top end of the bow. Hold the crossover piece tof the stringer in place with your hand until you get even pressure on it where it will stay in place. The rest is a piece of cake.

Stringing the bow is the time to be extra careful. It is the time when most limbs get twisted or broken and where you can get hurt . I try to make sure that I am in a place where if anything slips I will not get hit.

God Bless you All, Steve

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
One other thing I learned was to always point the limbs away from me after I have strung the bow. I then check to make sure each string is properly seated on the limbtip.

I think I learned that in a TooShort video a long time ago..

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
My AMG Webster...shows 1 large web pocket for the lower limb and upper braided nylon with 2 pockets.
A smaller one for small limb tips, the other for larger limb tips.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips - my rubber thingy was a pain on heavy long bows. I have a Webster AMG on the way right now.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
I will post some ACTION pictures tonight.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Here is a few pictures using the Webster.

Two major points to look at.

1) I strung the bow bare foot to show how comfortable it is. You can string bare footed or in your socks. The wide band doesn't hurt my feet or get stuck in my boot tread.

2) One picture shows me stringing the bow with only 1 1/2 fingers. That bow is 83# at 29". That's how easy a Webster is to use.

Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
By the way, you can wear shoes if you want to.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Sure with those gauntlets of power I don't even need shoes.    :bigsmyl:  

Kidding aside seems like the webster is the consensus of the way to go.  I like that it is a flat webbing strap instead of a 550 cord.  Also I think that pulling from the tips gives much better leverage.  Besides thats where our bows are designed to be pulled from.

What is the little velcro section for?  Is that to hold it all wrapped up nice and neat?  If so cool.

Found out that a nearby shop I frequent "bowhunters superstore" carries this stringer.  I'll be picking one of these up soon.  Along with some inserts etc, etc.....

Thanks to all, especially those that took the time to post pictures.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
We stock Websters as well, great stringers.

Nice photo demonstration Matt!  :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
Do they make it in bright Red or bright Orange, I hate black stringers......Changed the 550 cord on all my other stringers a few years ago as I was constantly "misplacing" the all black ones at the end of a hunt, at night, till I needed it the next morning 30 miles away......kinda hard to do the step through or push /pull on a 70# recurve when its about 10 degrees out.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I have a variety of stringers. A couple are the ones with the pads, one a rubber triangle and the other a leather pad.  I can't stand em. I string recurves and because these don't fit out to the limb tips I loose leverage which makes the bow feel much harder (because it is) to bend.

I don't have one stringer for all my bows. Some stringers have pockets too shallow or too narrow. My favorite stringer at this time is a strap with pockets for each limb tip. It came with a new bow but I don't know which one?

I follow all the advice above: start below the knees, two feet spread just past knees, and be careful that the pockets are properly seated before I pull and throughout the stringing. Then, when strung I keep the bow horizontal and rotate it so I can look to the left and right to see if the string is properly seated. You can endanger an eye if you turn that limb tip up to look at it if it isn't firmly in place. Then I 1/4 pull the bow a couple times to make sure all is good.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
A bunch of posts while I was typing -- so its called the Webster!  I still don't know which bowyer sent it with his bow.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
i have one of the websters in bright orange. i think mine came from Alaska Bowhunting supply.  i don't know if they still stock them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pullonmylimb:
What is the little velcro section for?  Is that to hold it all wrapped up nice and neat?  If so cool.

Yes, the velcro strap is so you can bundle it up and keep it tidy.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©