3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Q's (Cabela's and GWW)  (Read 391 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool Q's (Cabela's and GWW)
« on: January 23, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Hope you guys have been doing well.  All's well in our home.

Took care of my cold feet problem with a pair of Kenetrek Northern Pac boots.  Thanks to one of you guys (I forget who!) for the heads-up.

I want a warm, wool outer layer for next hunting season.  So, I have a few Q's:

1.  If I go with the GWW, how warm is the regular 27oz. wool?  Would you think I'd need it insulated, for teens temps?  It makes a difference in whether I get the Northwoods or the Outfitter line in bibs.  I can save quite the coin, if I don't ge them insulated.

2.  I'm also looking at the Cabela's Outfitter wool series.  If you have a review (good or bad), let me hear it.  These garments are relatively inexpensive (comparatively).  But, I'm not sure they're gonna be as warm as I WANT.  I'm 6'1"/190#.  The sizing chart at Cabela's (for this stuff) leaves a lot to be desired.  What would you suggest?

Again...hope everyone's doing well.

Sincerely,

jeff

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Q's (Cabela's and GWW)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Check out the longhunter coat from LaClair Its wool and goes over top my 300 wt fleece and I havn't been cold yet.I like it due to it goes down over the buttocks and keeps the lower back covered(like how some coats ride up) and warm when on stand.We had some cold weather up in Jersey and it worked better than any other outfit I ever had even my Colombia Wigeon outfit for duck hunting.And I use a pair of old navy watch pants(wool lined) for the lower half.You can get them at any army navy surplus on line.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Thanks.  The situation you describe is precisely why I'm going with bibs.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Then you should look at the Longhunter shirt best money I ever spent and you can layer to make it adaptable to any weather.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
The Longhunter shirt is very nice. There are two weights -- get the heavier weight (gray or green) for your purposes. You are my height and weight. The arms of the Longhunter are a little long, but you just roll up the sleeves a little. I also have the hood with the shoulder length cape that is very nice and matches the shirt. Layer underneath with whatever you want that fits the outside temperature and you will be comfortable.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
The LH shirt looks nice.  But, I'm trying to do away with a layer or two.  Hence my search for a heavy wool outer layer.

If anyone has experience with the GWW 27oz. wool.....or the Cabela's outfitter series...I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Ain't but one thing wrong with bibs.
There are certain instances wherein the bibs must drop. In order to do that, the coats have to come off. Much faster and warmer just to drop trou and keep your upper layers in place.

At least, that's what I have heard.
Killdeer   :rolleyes:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Killy, You crack me up! I'm still giggling like a school girl! LOL
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Killy....I hear ya.

But, I just completed my 6th straight season without having to take a dump in the woods...lol.

Probably some kinda record.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
GMMAT,
I hunted this year for the first time in a vest for my upper. It is the GWW 27oz insulated with wind liner. Hunted early season with it over a t shirt. That is the beauty of wool, huge comfort range and it breathes. Late season I had my 400gr Ullfrotte' top, a regular Cabelas 80% wool sweater and my GWW vest. Hunted several mornings in the teens and was comfy. Loved having a thin bow arm for the first time ever. GWW are very well thought out and quality is second to none. Would not take anything for this vest. Love the half forearm deep pockets, long tail, and collar that is tall in the back, low in the front.

If I was going to buy bibs I would buy GWW with the wind liner and insulated. Yes, you are going to cry when you write the check, but the good news is you will only cry once and you will never have to buy again. With these bibs you could wear less on top too being that your lower half will be warm and protected to your arm pits. When I get a little older and thinner blooded I will be buying me a pair of GWW bibs too.

My son wore a Ron Laclair longhunter in the heavy gray and was toasty. He is colder natured than me and he loves this longhunter. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
I have the GWW 27oz. uninsulated, both the jacket and bibs.  I decided on the uninsulated so that I could layer up as needed underneath which really expands the temperature range in which I can wear them.  The insulated ones are fantastic with temps in the teens like you are talking about, and if that is what your are really buying them for I would go ahead and bite the bullet on the insulated (also the windstopper)  

But with my uninsulated garb I can wear it comfortably anytime the temps drop into the forties or so.

I agree with the comment that the bibs are far warmer than the regular pants, with the exception of Killy's concerns.   Fellas do have a significant advantage though  ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Whip...

THanks.  I may call you, soon, to talk about your GWW garments.  

Hope you're doing well.

Offline IndianCreek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
Ive got the cabelas jacket. Like it overall. Does good in light rain but not so good at breaking the wind.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
I really doubt you will need insulated. Comformax lined, yes, but not insulated.

I've been wearing HWW/GWW since 1999. My dailey wear jacket is an original HWW green plaid with a recently added comformax vest. We've just had two weeks straight of no higher than 17*F and I have not felt the need for a heavier coat. Prior to adding the vest liner I would switch out that jacket for  short periods of time like I just described.

I wear this stuff religously when hunting. Bibs and a jacket. When it gets really cold <30 and I am going to be on stand for a long period of time I add a c-max lined hooded vest. Add little minus 33 or ulfrotte and I'm toasty.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
I am going to add a GWW pullover to the arsenal this coming fall if I am able. I will most likely get it with the windliner only to keep the bulk and weight down, especially the arms.

I will wear this in early season and then wear a layer of 400gr Ullfrotte' under it as it gets colder. Late season it will be the Ullfrotte', Pullover, and my GWW vest. The only problem I had this year was on 10+ MPH wind days I could feel the wind on my arms that only had Ullfrotte' and Cabelas 80% wool sweater on them. Gotta get the pullover with windliner to replace the sweater on cold windy days and I am set I think. I am 46 now so later on when my blood gets thinner and bones ache more I will add the GWW bibs.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Later on?  I'm 46, and I get colder every year!

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your input(s).

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
I have the GWW bibs, lined but not insulated, and the GWW vest lined and insulated, great combo, best money I have spent on hunting clothes.  I use the vest all the time, add the bibs when it gets colder, they are both windproof which is a must with late winter hunting.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Can't beat GWW...made extremely well and to your specs.  If you get the wool coat, vest and pants with the wind break and insulation you will be toasty warm on the worst of the days. I have coat, pants and vest. Only change I would suggest is going with the bibs instead of pants. Wish they offered ASAT as an option but Predator is very good too. I looked at all the top brands including KOM, SI and Jeff at GWW was the most helpful and in my opinion has the best wool product. Wool is an investment so don’t cut corners! Call and talk to the people that make and sell these products and it will become very clear to you who you feel has the best product.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
I am a big fan of uninsulated tops, usually with a vest.  On the other hand, about any time I wear a pair of bibs it's truly nasty.  If I could I would have a pair of uninsulated bibs and a pair of insulated, but if it's one of the other it's the latter.  I love and own some GWW, but I wound up buying Cabela's wooltimate bibs in outfitter camo--some over the top name like the "Stand Hunter Extreme".  I had to go up a size because of all the insulation, but they are great with leg zips, good pockets, kidney pockets for heat warmer packs, etc..  I'm sure GWW would be better in many or most ways, but that kind of hunting is not a big priority for me.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline revharry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Wool. i own them all. As for favorites the nod goes to GWW and Swanndri. JMHO Harry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©