3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Bowyers/Ugly Bows?  (Read 685 times)

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Bowyers/Ugly Bows?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Well, see, Izzy, I really like the looks of lacewood and snakewood.  If it's "custom" that means you get it the way YOU want it--not how the bowyer likes it.  Really, wood choices and grip shape (to a limited degree)are about all that we really get to choose in a "custom" bow beside X weight at X draw length.  The rest is already built into the form so much so that after a while you can tell what brand a bow is just by looking at the shape of the riser and cosmetics....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
This is a funny thread!

What is strange is that both the most beautiful bow I've seen and the ugliest come from the same bowyer!

Of course being on a totally different continent, I feel safe in telling you they are both River Edge Recurves! ^^

One is Joe VT's RER LXR with Zircote/Olive Ash Burl, the other some bubblegumcolored thing!
(Sorry to anyone who owns that bow if this offends you)

That goes mainly on color/wood though.. I'm glad we don't all like tha same thing   :)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Yes it is a funny thread. However it does show the human nature quite well. God bless you all and have a great day.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flinttim:
... Remember, anything you build and sell will have your name on it for it's entire life, not just the time the first owner owns it. Be proud to put your name on anything you build or don't build it.
I'm not a bowyer either,but EXACTLY...
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
You know I once set out to buy an "ugly" bow. I wanted a bow that I wouldn't mind beating up in the woods. So I noticed Sky Archery had these Sky Eagle bows on sale. Bingo, all actionwood, all "ugly". But the ugly duckling actually is a super sweet shooter, maybe the best I have ever shot. Now I don't want to ding her up.....I know I'm hopeless.

Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
The comments about a bowyer putting his name on the bow and risking damaging his brand make sense to me.

About 10 months ago I discussed a certain combination of woods with a bowyer. I was headed for 2 woods in the riser (not counting the accent stripes) and a different wood for the back and face of the limbs. I appreciated his honest answer. He told me these bows often look like the bowyer gathered scraps off the floor and used them on a bow. He told me he thought the bow would look to "busy".  

I think it is interesting that great to one isn't to another. I was surpised someone might not like lacewood?  But, I can tell you I will likely never have bocote used as limb veneers again. Its likely just me but those grains are so highly animated they almost look "fake".  I'm not saying the bocote is ugly, it's just too much of a good thing for my eye.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
Alright, this thread is begging for pics.   :pray:   You can call it plain or ugly, or just plain ugly.  I want to see them.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Hey Ric; at the worst that Bow could have looked " Pretty Ugly" . LOL
         I like Plain Bows Myself , not ugly. this is a fun thread.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
i am having some selfbows made right now.there is a reason that i picked these guys to make me a bow.i have seen their work.i want their imput in their work.there is a reason we pick them.they are true artists.i try to put in as little as i can.to me it would be like telling piccaso what to paint.they are artists and craftsmen.it is hard for me to put limitations on their creativity.i guess i just love one of a kind type bows,steve

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Build ugly bows for perfect performance. Take the business and know the rest of your bows will continue to sell the product.

Personally I think action wood is gosh awful ugly, but I have seen some beautiful examples of it.

I know someone with a green bow from Kanati. If I were to describe the neon greenish riser it would sound ugly but isn't. In fact it's really nice.  I tend to be attracted to ugly things, good thing I had a moment of clarity when I met my wife.   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
I have plenty of beautiful bows. All great performers, and the bow I would want built would need to be a performer also. I described part of my idea to one bowyer and his first comment was "wild". I'm a big boy, and I think I have a certain amount of integrity whereas I would never blame someone else for my choices. I guess I just wanted to get a feeling so that when I approach bowyers with my "complete package" that I'll have a good idea of what to expect. I appreciate everyones feedback, especially you bowyers, that have taken the time to help me prepare for my decision.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Bowwild, Actually that is a quite nice looking riser. the design makes that bow. To me that is not ugly. I guess that perhaps some are not understanding what I am saying. But then I never was the best at explaining myself. God Bless you all.
 Oh and as far as ugly wood. It could be painted. I used to paint all my bows. Now I just dull them down , snake em or put a sock on em;

steve

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Funny, I just got off the phone with a with a very established bowyer. I consider him to be an artist. I told him to build a bow for me that he would build for himself. Can't wait to see what he comes up with. I've never seen him build an ugly one. I figure somebody that builds bows for 20 or 30 years must know what they are doing and have a little better idea what combos look better and where. Now, I am an artist and a very creative guy. I have been a contractor for 25 years. I can say with all honesty that I do my best work when I like what I'm doing. I have a much more positive attitude which is reflected in my work. Everybody ain't an artist!!!  :nono:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
thats what i am talking about horatio.not everyone is an artist.i pick a bowyer based on what i have seen.when you look at what they have done and say,i need a bow from that guy you need to trust that they will build you a beautiful bow.give those guys a little freedom and i am sure you will not be disappointed.you saw what they have done in the past,thats what drawed you to them in the first place.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
When you build bows you are creating an image and a brand. That kind of makes it important that you build to that brand ., that you maintain it. What my brand is can be immensely improved or rapidly diminished by the quality and looks of even one bow. Like someone said . even if the owner likes the bow but takes it to shoots and everyone sees it and says , where did that piece of garbage come from. Your name is on it. It effects the brand. In spite of all the caterwauling about wanting plain hunting bows I get orders that amount to fancy customs well over 909 opercent of the time. That is customer choice. I personally kind of like plain. Not ugly but nice wood that is complementary. However when the guys start ordering they want this, then that, then more and finally its a full blown custom with all the foo foo. I understand that , but then these are the very same guys that come on the threads and say I don't like fancy, I just like plain bows, LOL.

God Bless you all, Steve
Reminds me of our conversation when we were planning my new bow, Steve. I told you I wanted a dark bow with understated elegance. You nailed it, IMO; however, others might use different descriptors for the bow. Some of the best custom bows, riflestocks, shotgun stocks, and furniture I've seen were made from rather plain materials.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I do not care how they look as long as they shoot good . They are going to  get camoed some any way.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
Marblecake English Walnut is not plain wood (grin) I did build a couple of bows with some. Buttttt its so hard to find. Very Very expensive when you do too. Butttttttttt, Talk about a class bow. English walnut MMMMMMMMMMM

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Personally, my eye is not drawn to the wood combinations of a bow as much as it is to the lines of the bow, the glue joints, clarity of the glass, workmanship, etc.  
Last year, I had a bow on the table with green camo dymondwood and green popular veneers that I didn't care for the looks of much.  I was amazed at how many people picked it up and admired it.  It sold to a young man who shot his first trad deer with it, a nice buck.  He loves it.  Who knows.  Chad

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 02:32:00 AM »
Good post Chad.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 05:18:00 AM »
In an effort to create something that nobody else has, wood combinations have become rather rediculous in my opinion.

Art is art but different isn't always better.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©