3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Game or Small Game?  (Read 646 times)

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Game or Small Game?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »
Elk are by far my favourite to hunt because the rut and the landscape,plus I spend few weeks in the mountain in my tent away from civilization.
Small games are nice but I don't want to spend too much time for them.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Big only for me

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
They both have there challenges. You have a great buddy hunt with small game. You get to not only hunt but socialize with friends. Big game you get to enjoy the solitude of Gods creation and be one with nature. So I would say I love doing both.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Big Game specifically white tail deer for me. They are easy to get to, can be hunted on public land, taste good, aren't that hard to get out of the woods

turkeys are my "elk"  even use the same diaphragm....

if elk were not so far away that would be number one for me

I've never killed a pig yet and don't want to kill a bear, bear tastes like s^&&* in my opinion so they are safe unless they try to eat me

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Big Game Big time.  Elk, Whitetail, Moose and so many other that are on my hope to hunt one day before it is too late for me. I like the feeling I get when a large game animal is coming in...it's just not the same for me with small game...though I do like to hunt them too.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I would rather hunt small game any day. I'm a rover. I don't like to sit still as much as I like to move around/hike with my bow.

Rabbits and squirrels are my favorite, but I have yet to shoot the latter.

Deerhunting is a very close second. Would like to try Turkeys this year.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by LimbLover:
I would rather hunt small game any day. I'm a rover. I don't like to sit still as much as I like to move around/hike with my bow.
You can take whitetail that way, too.  Though you may have a dry season or several.  I've foot hunted myself a couple whitetail bucks while still hunting with a bow and they remain my most prized memories of a hunt.  And I can't tell you the number of times I've had a post-season deer within 20 yards while pushing briars for bunnies.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Small game all the way.  I guess because I get to shoot more with small game.  I also like rabbit better than any other game animal both in taste and in the hunt.

Offline swampsSonny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
That would depend on what time of yr it is for me.By the end of deer season maybe even before I,m really lookin forward to gettin my beagle out after bunnies which IMO is way more fun than deer huntin.

That said bunny season starts before deer season but at that time Im hiped up about deer and dont bunny hunt

In the spring there's turkeys and deer season is closed . . . perhaps carp at that time mmmmmmm tuff call
shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
Coyotes and ground squirrels
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I bowhunt deer the most and turkey second. I like an occassional adventure west or north. Hoping to hunt one of my dream beasts this September in BC (Moose).

I should bow hunt squirrels.  I love to hunt squirrels with a rimfire rifle and have been doing so since 10 years old. I love to bowhunt far more than gun hunt so it is only natural that I marry the two.  I need to make up some flu-flus, find a suitable head that I can shoot into the trees and get serious.

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
I love moose hunting, it's such a rush having a 1000lbs animal coming at you looking for either a fight or love, or as one of my buddies say you got a train with nothing but c*** and snot coming your way. Just standing there with nothing but basically a stick and razor blade, my wife says I'm crazy.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I like squirrel and rabbit hunting the best probably because I can take my spaniel along.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm kinda at the stage of watchin' it on TV. Does that count?   :rolleyes:  You know... On the Outhouse Channel.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Buckhorn3380

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
For me its Whitetail hunting in KS cause you never know whats going to walk by it makes long sits very interesting.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Any more I probably prefer small game hunting.  It's something that I can do with my daughters and I find that really enjoyable.

We hunt a lot of nutria and raccoons.  I also like to go to Eastern Oregon for jackrabbits.

I can hunt 10 days in September to get one shot at an elk, but I can take 10 shots a day hunting small game and have my kids with me when I do.

That being said, the 10 days in September... :)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Big Game: Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Feral Pigs, Javelina
Small Game: Rabbits, Frogs
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Both for me I always have a few blunts when hunting deer and am willing to harvest want is crazy enough to walk buy.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
I love big game hunting. For me, deer and elk hunts nearly always mean hunting camps and getting away spending time in the mountains. Only rarely will I go deer hunting on the weekends or after work.

For day trips, or for a couple of hours after work,  I enjoy grabbing my bow and heading to the woods to look for grouse. We have a long grouse season in my state (September thru December) which allows me to continue to hunt when our archery seasons are closed. It would have a hard time chosing a favorite between hunting big and small game. I love doing both.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Elk. My favorite meat & way fun to hunt.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©