3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grips On Hill's  (Read 415 times)

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Grips On Hill's
« on: January 24, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Straight, dished and locator. With that being said what would you consider the most used.  I'm aware each persons needs and shooting style will vary.

Locator I get same hand placement perhaps ? What are the differences in the straight vs dished. And what are the  pros & cons to each grip.

Something about the simple design draws me more and more to them. And yes I can see me chas'n gobblers with one.    :thumbsup:  
Thanks,
Mike
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grips On Hill's
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Years ago I shot a HH ( Don't remember which model )and it was a straight handle, It shot great for me. I'm waiting on a Hill Bow as we speak.

I don't like asking questions about handles because like every thing else it comes down to the one that is shooting that bow.. My Pros & Cons are way different then Your so they wouldn't be fair answers.. The best thing is to try all of them and see which is best for You..

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Normally a straight or dished grip is more forgiving to not placing your hand always the same.
For me it's a dished grip.
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
 I don't like asking questions about handles because like every thing else it comes down to the one that is shooting that bow.. My Pros & Cons are way different then Your so they wouldn't be fair answers.. The best thing is to try all of them and see which is best for You  
What Mystic said    :thumbsup:
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
The straight grip forces you to hold the long bow correctly, though it may be uncomfortable. I like it straight. A slight dish is a little more comfy for me, but I shoot best with the straight.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Rob & Guys sorry for my post and the wording. It's difficult for me to explain what I'm trying to say.  More along the lines as Jeff above mentioned.

Thanks Jeff
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I like'm slightly dished.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
I like a dish grip on my Hill,but have no problem with a straight grip either.Just a personal preference.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
So my HH blank is sitting on my front porch waiting for me to get home and finish it up.  (According to my tracking number anyway.)  And the grip is what I'm trying to decide on.  I guess I can see if I like the straight and then move to dished or locator.  But if I decided the straight was best, going back is going to be harder....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I like the straight grip - for what it's worth, my hands are on the large side.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I guess I can see if I like the straight and then move to dished or locator. [/QB]
Yep, that's the way to do it. I prefer a slight locator or straight, but I can't remember having any accuracy issues with the dished grips I've tried.

Kevin
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
If you check out the Hill website or the Hill shooters website to look at a few bows, you'll notice that there isn't a very large difference among the various grips.  The dish is just ever so slightly concave compared to the straight grip.  The index is very slight on that grip.  Now, on your own blank, you could certainly accentuate either of the non straight grips,  but on the originals, there's not much difference, and after a few shots, you probably wouldn't remember which you were shooting without checking.  I can go from one to the other without any problem at all.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I asked that question of Craig when I ordered my new Robin Hood bow. I am a huge fan of Dished but he said "currently" the most popular grip is locator.

Repeat --- "Currently".  

For my 70" 100# at 28" HH (that I traded for) I am having him downsize the huge straight grip to a smaller Dished.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
one can always start out with a larger straight,then adjust it until it is just right.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Hill shot a straight grip, enough said.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
I've always ordered the locator grips in the past. But I'm really diggin my new t/d Cheetah with the small sleeve straight grip. It's nice and round with no sharp edges.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I prefer the straight or at most a very slight dish in the Shultz style. Has always worked well for me and keeps the heel down on the grip. Haven't tried the locator...don't need too.

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I have shot Dished and straight and prefer the straight.Never tried the locator.RC

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
one can always start out with a larger straight,then adjust it until it is just right.
Paven, funny you would mention that!!  I was thinking the same thing...will prolly take a rasp to my new bow and work it 'till it feels just right....but not before I shoot it tons.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
My first heavy hunting LB had a straight handle grip converse to the pistol grips I shot on my recurves. (It's true I did shoot them once) Drastic change, once I discovered I could shoot the straight handle w/o any problems whatsoever, I found the pistol grips limited my freedom to get comfortable. Locators remind me too much of pistol grips. No problems shooting recurves but just much freer & more accurrate w/straight handles. Maybe the SH fits my hand better?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©