3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Yet Another Carbon Express ??  (Read 499 times)

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
Yet Another Carbon Express ??
« on: June 07, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Okay Shawn & other Carbon Xpress gurus,my question:which Heritage would you go with to fling from a Savannah,50# @ 28 but drawing to 29" w/d-97 string.I'd like to keep my point wt.around 175-225gr. or so.I don't mind a longer than 30" shaft when necessary,& usually tune for something around 30-31".I've just come into possesion of some 150's that are uncut,so what do y'all recomend,before I start whackin?
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yet Another Carbon Express ??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
I'm no expert...but I would say the 150's will tune up just fine.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Boy,when I asked for gurus,ya'll deliver!Thanks,Curt.
John
    Too young for Medicare,

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
TXRED -

I've got some 150s on the way. I intend to shoot them out of a 62" 53# @ 28" Roy Hall Apache using a 16 strand FF string.

As this will be my first Heritage 150s, so I plan on doing a little experimenting. Think I'll start out at 29.5" with a 100gr insert and 125gr threaded point. If this is not heavy enough, I'll probably go to 125gr glue point and add the broadhead adapter (about 35gr). That should give me 260gr point. I think it will be fun whittlin' (or in your case whackin   :)  ) and testing. I could also drop down to the 40gr insert and just use the adaptor and glue on point. That should give 200gr point vs the 225 gr or 260gr in the other options. I'm not convinced that I need to go lower than 200gr total point weight. I want to keep total arrow weight around 10gr per pound of draw (530gr). Also, I'm in Ellis County too, so we might get together sometime.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Yup a 30" 150 with 225 grains up front should shoot very well out of that bow. I think with 200 ya may be a tad stiff, but experiment a little. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
John,

Shoot those 150's with confidence. My setup of 50# @ 28" with a 29" arrow tipped with a 150 grain Wensel Woodsman fly GREAT. Not to throw you a curve, but if you want to have a heavy broadhead and weight tubes up front, I would cheat to keeping the arrow length shorter (29" to 30"), rather than longer (30"+). OF course, you sound like the type of guy who can start a little long and then cut off the arrow 1/4" at a time until that little baby is flying perfectly. Either way, the 150's are a great arrow...tough as nails.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the opinions,boys.This is my first carbon rodeo-been shooting aluminum only up to this point,& seeking a little positive reinforcement from those with the experience.Shawn,you're probably right on the point wt.,especially with the wraps,we shall see.Danny,had it not been for the server meltdown,those woulda been my shafts!(Just kiddin,bud,I wasn't gonna snipe ya!)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:
John
    Too young for Medicare,

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
TXRED -

That's funny because I had my check made out if you hadn't taken those 6 from spotteddog.    :bigsmyl:  

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bsh_jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Just remember that carbons are more sensitive to length than point weight.  I usually only cut about 1/4" at a time and shoot bare shaft and fletched groups. at each length, then pull inserts on the fletched and cut the front, obviously just cut the nock end on the bare shafts.  The 150's should shoot.  I'm guessing that with your poundage, 29" aqnd a 175 point will be about where it falls out.

Brannon

Brannon

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
All good advice,thanks.Yeah I plan to start long & sneek up on the sweet spot a little at a time,no big hurry for me.I'm sure it will help when I finally make up my mind on the point wt.So many choices!LOL,Danny,I reckon we'll hafta start watchin each other a little closer!  :saywhat:
John
    Too young for Medicare,

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I shoot 29" 150's with 200 grain point on bows from 45 - 55 lb. and can get them to bareshaft really good...They seem to be a forgiving shaft - at least for my setup they do.....jmho...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Which Easton nocks are you using,Wally?
John
    Too young for Medicare,

Offline FAIRCHASE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 01:41:00 AM »
The 150s should do the trick, just don't be to quick to start cutting the shafts until you start shooting, and then 1/4" at a time. Good luck.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
TXRED - I think they are the super nocks...Also, I sand all my nocks so they just lightly, and smoothly, snap on the string. This makes a big difference in getting perfect arrow flight.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©