3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black bear in AZ  (Read 467 times)

Offline Coon007

• Trad Bowhunter
Black bear in AZ
« on: June 07, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
hey all
I hear that there is some good black bear hunting in arizona, how can somebody plan for a trip there and hunt them. (like the best place and season) thanks
in advance.  :thumbsup:
It's only funny until someone get's HURT, Then it's hilarious

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black bear in AZ
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
Coon,

Take a look at the AZ website.  Bear is a draw like most things in AZ.  You don't have much chance of getting a tag and have to buy a licence before you apply.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
Coon,

Mike did get one thing right; you have to buy a license first.  AZ bears are OTC.  They do have very good and big black bears and I know a few guys who do VERY well stalking them when they are feeding on the cactus blossoms.

Take a look at the rulebook:

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/h_f/regulations/07-08/07-08.pdf

Offline Coon007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Kool where about do they hunt (what county)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
All over from Tuscon to Pinetop.  Predator calls work too.  You can also go on the Apache Reservations if you want to go guided.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
Dang I knew I should have looked it up myself.  Sorry about that, just passed on info that was given to me.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Coon007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
so i just buy a license and try my luck that should be good i'll study up on that.

Offline oneshot1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Howdy Coonoo7, For a "sky island" full of Black bear's try the Santa Ritas south of Tucson, you will have a very hard time finding a black one though, they seem to run more of a cinnimon to red color. They only had spring tags(5 years ago) but they may have fall/winter tags by now, no bait or dogs. Hot spots, the ridge fingers heading down into the campgrounds, parking areas, look for fresh turned over rocks in the dry stream-beds(bears are looking for grubbs/critters), use a fawn bleat, alot of the bear scat is full of deer hair. Good luck.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Actually Spring bear is a draw but fall bear is OTC and you can hunt until the sow harvest objectives are met for a particular unit..... Usually 1-3 sows.... You are required to call in every Friday after the Fall season starts to find out if the unit you are wanting to hunt is still open or if the objective has been met.......Like oneshot says baiting is not allowed but dogs can be used in some units....AZ is kind of a sleeper state for black bears with some of the biggest heads I've seen coming out of here...... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Terry,

I figured he was looking for fall, we are in summer here, so you guys have to be in sweltering...

Coon, I PMD you a couple names.

Offline Coon007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
thanks for the info guy's
oneshot color does not matter as long as it's a bear heck i'll take a pink one lol. I can't wait till spring but i'll be there during the fall hunt

Offline Coon007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
thanks for the info guy's
oneshot color does not matter as long as it's a bear heck i'll take a pink one lol. I can't wait till spring but i'll be there during the fall hunt

Offline Mark Maves

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »
I haven't lived in AZ since 95, but I went to college at NAU and spent 5 summers on a fire crew outside of Flag..I do not know what the seasons/draw/permit status of that area is, but I can tell you that Sitgreaves Mtn. and some of the areas around Kendrick had a few very large bears.  We spooked them up with the helicopter from time to time.. I would figure that Bill Williams would hold its share also.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Thanks, Terry!!  I was thinking my old memory had slipped.  I knew there was a draw but didn't know about the OTC tags for the fall hunt.  Let's keep an eye on our elk area for available tags come fall.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©