3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Hunt...my frustration...HELP!!  (Read 418 times)

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
My Hunt...my frustration...HELP!!
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Hey,    :scared:    I watch as my arrow disapears into the cactus behind her and she gallops away.  I just smile an smack myself for missing while thanking God for the absurd amount of fun I was having.

Fastforward to the next evening hunt...

Same setup, and this time the doe is at 16yards slightly quartering away...I start to draw and it happens again.

Blurry, Tiny Spot becomes VERY BIG SPOT....I let loose and the arrow disappears into the cactus as all 14 deer burst out of the scene.

I sit there......

Pissed.....   :(  

I replay it all over and over...

SOOOOO, I need your help....how do you stay focused and keep the adrenaline at bay?  How do you translate target accuracy to "heat of the moment accuract"?

How do I stay focuced long enough to connect on my first deer?

The scene:

stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Hunt...my frustration...HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Welcome to buck fever.  Not that I have killed a bunch, but it is the excitement tat keeps bringing me back.  What do you mean tiny spot gets big.  You are totally focused so it appears big, or you are no longer focused on the spot?
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Concentrate harder. It's not natural for alot of us, me included. Get rid of your target with the dots on it and shoot at a bare bale. Concentration is the key.

As far as the jumpy deer, get away from the feeders 8-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Aim lower... Remember Your shooting at Texas Deer.. Texas deer seem to drop faster then other deer when hunting with Stick and String...

Next time aim just under the belly, So if the deer doesn't move Your hitting/missing just under by inches. As the deer drops You hit heart/Double lung.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Biggie is spot on as usual. Yep, stop shooting at dots, get a deer 3d with no dots on it. Sit on stand with a bunch of deer around and just observe. The more you are around deer the easier it will be to focus.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Ha!  welcome to the challenge.  Yes, misticguide alludes to a common phenomenon...deer can duck a arrow - especially if they are wound tight or otherwise alert.  

In situations like that you will need to hold low...how low is always the problem - you will need to figure that out on your own but, just take into consideration the shot distance and even consider your bow.  I can remember vividly taking a shot at a small doe one morning.  She was wired but wanted to come through.  When she did, I held maybe four inches below her briscut and watched her literally drop down to her belly while, at the same time making a turn.  The arrow hit her the top of her lung...

The panic can be easily dealt with.. I am happy to quote Biggie Hoffman here because this was taught to me many years ago and it works like a charm...when in deer camp we will seldom hang a target but imagine the bale as a deer..then actually pick a spot on the "deer" and let er go!

It works and I have passed that on to my brothers and fellow archers..all have had success.

Good luck!!  Stay with it - you'll be okay.

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
What Biggie and Danny said is about as right as you can get.  I never shoot at dots, just 3-D or a block with outline of a deer.  As for the adrenaline flow, the first time I don't feel it, is the day I put the stick and string up for good.  That I hope never happens.   I found that lots of hunters forget the one thing that helps most of all and that is TAKE A DEEP BREATH, and then relax, sounds easy doesn't it?
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
CALMMMMMM DOWNNNN!!!  N ur only gona do it through experience.  I shot the very first deer i saw with a recurve, very lucky id say.  I didnt hunt for the rest of the year that much like an idiot  I shoulda rode that wave of confidence the rest of the way for the year.  But i only went a few more times.  The next 3 seasons were rocky to say the least.  i missed more deer than ive ever even shot.  20 deer missed would be a conservative estimate.  I hit n didnt recover a few.  I was tryin to hard...tryin to "MAKE" it happen.  Ive learned to calm down n enjoy the experience.  I Tagged out this year.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Danny Rowan:
[QBSit on stand with a bunch of deer around and just observe. The more you are around deer the easier it will be to focus. [/QB]
Good Advice!!!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
I agree with "Biggie", but would also recommend that if your shooting from an elevated stand you should practice as much as possible from an elevated stand. There is a difference. As pointed out above, Texas deer are very alert when coming to corn feeders. I will normally aim at the body line on alert whitetails. Last but not least, don't lift your head on release. Head down on the arrow until you see it hit your target. Move your head up at release, and you'll shoot high every time. Good luck and whatever you do, don't get frustrated. Your time will come. Just be ready when it does.  :archer2:

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
i used to have that problem then I started shooting at a 3D target of a deer.  I know it sounds absurd, but you have to train your brain to recognize the deer as a target without dots and not an animal you should be extremely nervous around.  I know very odd to think of it in this way but its true.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Ha! When I started I missed 3 in one morning and at least one or two more that night. I'm getting better but I still have to talk to myself when the deer are there. I keep repeating to myself to focus on a spot and reach my anchor.

Good luck

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
Shooting 3D during the off season will help you to concentrate on the first shot. What you are experiencing is natural, and will pass with time and a little work. Just hang in there and have fun.

James...........................
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Great advice in not always shooting at dots! If you pick your spot on a bale you will begin to develop how to pick your spot on a deer. Look for a definite spot on the deer, a change in hair coloration or crease and forget about antlers or getting home with your deer and just think about the moment and your spot on the deer. You will be able to concentrate better. Don't try to take it all in and get what we call the "Buck Eggers" It will come with practice. Welcome to the great process of controlling your excitement and adrenaline surge. That is one of the things that makes Traditional archery so great. You have to stay focused until the arrow hits the deer. Keep it up, you will get there!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
I also get super krinked for every shot at a live animal. Now BEFORE I go into the woods I make sure I've already peed in my pants! Takes the edge off a bit. Kidding. Nerves are all part of the fun. It'll manage soon enough.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
On all my good shots the animal has given me time to calm down and collect myself. I am, in these times, able to talk myself into not missing.

On all bad shots, the shot has felt rushed. The animal was wired, walking into my wind, etc...for some reason I felt the need to shoot now!

I've made enough good shots and marginal shots now to be able to correlate the two situations metnioned with the resultant accuracy.

One thing I and alot of others probably need to learn is how to pass on GOOD shots when our BRAIN is not ready.

I've found that I can practice the pressure in my head and some years I somehow envision good shots months in advance of season. I like to play little "mind videos" in my head of me being calm and being able to make good shots.

It seems to help.

Good luck!

B

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by HcSmitty:
CALMMMMMM DOWNNNN!!!  N ur only gona do it through experience.  I missed more deer than ive ever even shot.  20 deer missed would be a conservative estimate.  I hit n didnt recover a few.  I was tryin to hard...tryin to "MAKE" it happen.  Ive learned to calm down n enjoy the experience.  I Tagged out this year.
This is almost exactly what my buddy said the night of the second doe "incedent".  Said I was trying to hard and that I wanted it too bad.

See my lease is bow only, BUT I had to talk the manager into letting me hunt with a TRADITIONAL BOW.  He said I could but only at Does, Hogs, and Turkey.  I would have to "PROVE" I could do it before I have the green light at bucks.  

This added alot of pressure as I am a bit nervous to make a bad shot and him tell me I cant shoot anymore.  

AND...just as many of you have said, I explained to him that in order to be good with my long bow I needed the opportunity to shoot at hair...not just targets...

He agreed and let me; but there is still the voice in the back of my head.   :knothead:
stick_string

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Stop psyching yourself out. I had it bad when I began bowhunting, and spent HOURS in the stand mentally preparing myself. It took a few years, and a lot of misses, but I got to where I am fine until AFTER the shot. Then I have to sit down or fall out of the tree.
It showed it's head again when I started trad. I missed the first two I shot at, high, then low. It took a quick mental session and then next two deer I shot at were in the freezer.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
You may of blacked out cause you forgot to BREATHE!
Tom

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
You may of blacked out cause you forgot to BREATHE!
I actually thought about this and then my next thought was....

:banghead:    :banghead:    :deadhorse:
stick_string

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©