3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Hunt...my frustration...HELP!!  (Read 419 times)

Re: My Hunt...my frustration...HELP!!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
my eyes blurred like that on me once,...i was turkey hunting and hiding behind a tree , the gobbler was rite on the other side of the tree and stepped out and gobbled .....(i lost it)......a pounding heart and adrenaline...he was about six feet away when he stuck his head out....il never forget that one..

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Its like hippie, touchy feeliy rhetoric n all that jazz.....FOR ME!!!  I used alot of new age positive mental imagery.  Id "hypnotise" myself abd imagine myself doin it all right...over...and over...and over...you git the picture.  The first deer i drew on this year, twas like it was the 1000nth one.  Ya see,  the Subconscious mind CANNOT differentiate between a real event and one that is fake.  So if u convince the subconcious mind youve done it a buhzillion times already...heck it will believe it.  Its helped me n ever aspect of archery AND hunting.  
  I kno...ur thinkin this is alot of jibberish, but it works home slice.  For real, try it.  I learned this when i was ridein bulls from a world champion named Gary Laffew.  He used it to win a world championship.
  Tell ya how good it works man at controlin those voices that seem to show up wiht the adrenaline rush. ( n hey, no need to talk urself through the shot).  This i me now:  behold, a deer is approachin.  The POUNDIN heart, sweatin palms, strong urge to pee ur pants.  This is when huntin shows play that crappily intense mood music.
  Now the deer is in range..ohhh man.  its broadside.  Theirs the shot...all systems GO!  and the subconscious mind takes over.  Muscle memory.  repetition. all is calm dead silent, no heart beat,urge to piss in drawers. all is gone.  the arrows smacks home.  I LET IT HAPPEN.
  NOWW is when the crappy rock n roll plays in the huntin shows.  NOWWWWWWW im excited again.  i cackle like a chicken (laughin).  now i feel the urge to make number one in drawers again.
  See how it works???  I kno this all sounds far fetched but it completely changed my approach to shootin at animals and cured the "hurry up n miss" thoughts.  I just let the subconscious take over.  I knooooo......this all sounds crazy but for real my man, TRY it.
  Take 10 minutes every day.  relax in the quiet, close ur eyes.  breathe deep. n FOCUS.  See the deer.  ur bow up.  " thas the tuft of hair".  feel the draw, the shot just happens.  the arrow smacks RIGHT where u were lazer beamin with ur eyes.  repeat over n over.
  Try it man.  Zen, Woosahh n all that good stuff man.
  Didnt mean to git all out their but this has helped me Xponentially.  Im a lil off my rocker, but not off the front porch. Try it.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Its all in your breathing, take two big breaths and then take another as you draw and let it out slowly and when it's out release.Practice breathing and shooting and you will be ok.You must breath and focus on that and the spot and your good.As A rifle and pistol coach in the Corps I found that most of peoples problem was they didn't breath(held their breath)and couldn't be steady or focus.Works the same for Trad and any other shooting .IMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Definitely practice shooting on a blank bale.  That's good advice.  Forget about the missed shots.

I would suggest you decide where you're going to take your shot and anticipate it.  Practice focusing on a spot on the ground and drawing back while you're on stand.  If you get in the habit of visualizing the shot before it happens you can prepare yourself ahead of time mentally and reduce that rushed feeling when the deer are coming in.

I have to disagree with letting out your breath on the shot.  If you do that with a bow you will lose tension and collapse on the release.  Personally I don't pay any attention to my breathing when I'm taking a shot at game.  I just breathe in as I draw and shoot when I hit anchor.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
From the time you see the deer and make the decision to shoot it ,concentrate on one spot and one spot only ,where you want to put that arrow,When you decide to shoot AIM SMALL ,pick a tuft of hair or one hair and shoot at that only .Shoot enough tha the proper form of shooting comes naturally.You only want to be concentrating on one thing at the shot and thats where you want to put that arrow.PLus spend lots of time around animals .where I hunt we may see 30-40 animals a day .Best of luck!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
...where I hunt we may see 30-40 animals a day .Best of luck! [/QB]
This is the reason I joined the lease I am on.  It is in the heart of Texas (litteraly that is what Brady,Tx is called).  The 2000 acres we hunt is loaded with deer...like I have never seen.  It is managed by the state and we have to take 30 bucks and 90 does off a year.   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

THis will be my first year on the lease.
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
In TX...I pick out a spot on the ground 2 inches below, and 3 inches behind the elbow.....and they drop right into the shot.

Took me a couple of years to figure that out....but since then, I've shot at three bucks and got all 3 on my wall.....an 8 and two 10s.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Hunter Smith    :biglaugh:  After reading your post I had to look and see your real name Iv'e worked with a few construction guys that sound like you. Man i'm not into the new age thing but as funny as it sounds I believe most of the successful shots are because the mental battle was won long before the shot opportunity arrived.  Good post!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Read Jay Kidwell- it is NOT a physical issue, so no type of physical practice will solve it- it IS a brain thing.  "Button Technique" is the answer.

I always shoot a black 1.5" button.  After hours of shooting at a black dot I then begin to transfer this to other targets. I never again pick a spot or shoot at a deer- EVERY shot is always a black button.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Best advice here is to remember to breathe. You only do it by making it happen. I train my guys under stress to "combat breathe",controlled inhalations and forced exhalation. I still miss deer but I dont black out.LOL
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Online TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
I know this sounds crazy but trick yourself into thinking that you are not going to shoot the deer. It will help you calm down.  Draw on the deer and focus on a tiny spot -- hold for a couple of seconds and let down if you are not able to really focus.   When you are able to really concentrate on a small spot, let the string slip.  Around Brady, there are so many deer it is not going to be hard to get a shot.  Draw and let down as many times as you need to to take control of the shot.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
No negative thoughts ! From the time we are kids till we die people will tell us either outright or indirectly that we can't do or achieve certain goals . The sad part is not that they voice their opinions or actions , the sad part is we start to believe them . Never let the fear or missing keep you from taking the shot . Everyone misses sometimes , think positive , and yes I also visualise the shot being perfect .
Greyfox54

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Great suggestions here. Besides breathing, focusing and anticipating animal drop, I force myself to annuciate each part of my practised shot routine which has served me well in calming down. I am still a nervous wreck but have managed to pull off a decent shot or two ever so often.

I still cry when a I miss a turkey. Should be used to by now.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Man do I appreciate you all.  This is why I love this place!!  

I was talking about this with some buddies of mine here (all wheel hunters)...and the cool part is they want me to suceed almost more than I do.  

Last night I played the shots over in my head and realized one SMALL thing...

When hunting with my wheels (yep, still do)...and I am going to shoot, my attention is diverted to the whole sequence of lining up my peep, find the pin, put pin on deer, squeeze...then it all hits me!!!!!

But when my stick is in hand there is no sequence to calm me down, or distract me...its PURE if you will.  I am concentrating on the deer that is yards away....then I start with the.....DONT MISS, DONT MISS, DONT MISS, DONT MISS, DONT MISS, DONT MISS....
   :scared:      :scared:      :scared:  

By the way....this buck was standing within 7yards of the blind on both misses....

stick_string

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Just some more reasons why I am hunting Brady...

THis should help me pick a spot:

This one wont help me at all:

stick_string

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©