3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: poc spine selection help  (Read 260 times)

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
poc spine selection help
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
I'm hoping to shoot cedar arrows from my 50 @ 28 Pittsley Predator recurve. I draw 28". I want to end up with a 125-150gr broadhead and a 30" bop arrow. I tried the spine calculator but was unsure how to enter the correct wood arrow selections. I came up with 70-75? Does that sound right? Thanks in advance.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: poc spine selection help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
50@28 +5 (recurve) +5 (center-cut) +10 (2" pass 28") Yes 70-75 sounds good.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: poc spine selection help
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Wood arrows can be funny things - they can be sensitive to your rest and release style.  I'm drawing 30" on a recurve marked 52#@28" (so, figure 56# or so at full draw) and it prefers cedars of 60-65# with a 125gr head.  It's cut a little past center but I build it up with a furniture rug pad sliced thinner with a single-edge razor.  

I also have a bow marked 55#@28" and that one prefers 65-70# shafts (same 30" draw w/30-1/2" BOP shafts with 125 gr heads).  And a bow marked 48#@28" that prefers those same 65-70# shafts.  

One spine range will shoot where you are looking and give smooth flight.  That's the one to use regardless of what a table says.

Some insurance company has a table that says you'll live to be XX years old.  It's based on historical averages.  Your results may vary.

It usually works with a deep-cut shelf to err on the side of heavier - but not always.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©