3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk with Recurve  (Read 1375 times)

Online elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk with Recurve
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
Wingnut, the point that I was trying to make is that a untuned 55 will not penatrate as well as a properly tuned 45.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Ah!  It could be misinterpreted to seem that a 55# bow can't be tuned for good arrow flight so use a 45.

I just spent a couple hours with a customer this week helping get his arrows flying.  He is shooting a 54# static curve  and we got his arrows flying with just a spinning nock.  He is setting up for pigs and elk this fall.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
elk nailer, a 45# untuned is a LOT less efficent than a 55# tuned.
If one is a member here and has the will to make a search how to tune a bow it can be done pretty easy.Here we are talking of really fine tuned equipment only.For sure if someone isn't still capable to fine tune his set up,it is better he waits a little longer before going elk hunting.He can start practicing with bunnies,squirrells and frogs!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Just make sure your bow is tune and you got your broadhead shaving hair sharp and you have good arrow weight.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
I'd spend the next few months getting into shape..not only for the hills but to shoot a heavier bow.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Elk have a very large kill area (compared to deer size game) and this can makes archers beleive they can extend their range a bit.I sure now I'm guilty of it and been a feild when it's happened.I think 60lbs @ 27'' draw should be the limit for elk size animals w/.Just my opinion

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I say that you should shoot a bow that will give you the most speed from a heavy arrow.  A 600+ gr. arrow (what I recommend for elk) does not know what weight of bow shot it at, say 155 fps.  That could be a 45# glass bow or a 60# self bow but nobody here would say that a 60# self bow is marginal for elk, would they?  Why then is the 45# bow marginal for elk that shoots the same arrow at the same speed? That being said, I have found that I cannot shoot a heavy weight bow due to a shoulder injury.  My choices were to hunt with a rifle or go to a light-pull bow shooting heavy arrows (making it difficult to shoot longer than about 25 yds).  I was able to test out my setup and got 20" of penetration on a cow elk with a 630 gr. arrow going 143 fps. this last year.

If you can, shoot a heavier (faster) bow, but if not, shoot an efficient bow and a heavy arrow. IMO, a heavy arrow going slow out penetrates a light arrow going fast, all else being equal.  Don't worry about how heavy your bow is but worry about how heavy your arrow is for it's the arrow that kills, not the bow.  In my 6 traditional elk kills, all with light-weight, slow bows, I have been impressed with how well a heavy, slow arrow penetrates the mighty wapiti, once I even broke the off-side humorus (leg)bone in half after my arrow passed through the chest!  I was shooting a 47# longbow with that elk.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
BTW, that bow sitting on the elk is a 41# Quinn, but again, it doesn't matter the weight of the bow, it's a heavy arrow the leads to great penetration, no matter how fast that arrow is going.  I like to watch these shows on TV where guys shoot their WT setups (70# compound and 400-500 gr. arrows...maybe 300 fps?) at elk.  They get very poor penetration in a lot of cases, esp. if a rib is hit. Of course, good flight and a sharp 2-blade BH are also key when shooting these slow, heavy arrows.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
I don't know how much experience you have with elk, but these animals are not whitetails. If you don't believe me, dress one out and then try getting one out of the woods on your own. So, at the risk of going against the grain, let me say this: No, 44 lbs.  is definately NOT enough. Even under ideal conditions 44 lbs. is marginal, at best. My advise is to work yourself up to a bow at least in the mid-50's range.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline flycastr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »
Limit your distance--do not be taking 40-yd shots, and 44# should be just fine, but....it goes without saying that you must be able to shoot your bow very, very well.  Suggest cut-on-contact two-blade heavy broadhead.  Absolutely agree with Treat that the critical factor is heavy arrow weight for best penetration, not bow weight or arrow speed.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
This is just my thought but if you can shoot some more I would. Not saying you cant do it with your gear but a little heavier would help.
I no idea about Elk but that make sense
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Maybe this has been said, but I think the rule of thumb is at least 160 fps at 600 grains with a two blade broadhead.  However you get there is up to you.  Some light bows are crazy swift, others are dogs.  I have lost three elk over the last 20 years to poor penetration... its NOT a good feeling.  I shoot 58# with a 640 or 680 grain arrow (depending on broadhead).  I lodged the broadhead in opposite side bone the last two years.  The bulls died within 100 yards, one within 40.  Thats a good feeling!

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
It wouldn't be my first choice of weight for elk, but it certainly has been done.  Everything else needs to be optimum.  Do a SEARCH here on this subject, it has been talked about at length in these forums.

Good luck -

Kris

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
I am planning to hunt a water buff in the future so I know that I need to go up in #s.Maybe you can do a elk with 45#,but why not to try to upgrade your muscles and master a 50-55#.It isn't not that much.
Im not sayin I cant shoot more weight, I can shoot 85 lbs but I shoot this bow accurate. I am comfortable with it, and have confidence. I just wondered if would get the job done. Thanks.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
X2 what Doug Treat said. I was with him on last year's hunt and took a 4X4 with a 46# bow (at my draw length). I was also shooting a COC 2 blade broadhead on the tip of a 630 grain arrow. Shot distance was ~23 yards... recovery 100 yards.

Good hunting!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Taking a guy to CO elk hunting this year shooting #47@28" BW recurve due to shoulder surgery! Hes shooting 540gr lam birch arrows and 160 STOS heads(700gr total wt)! Arrows fly like darts, well slow darts but tuned nonetheless!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Man I want to voice my opinions on these low poundage bows for elk but like the many many threads before I will not. I will say 35# for elk in Colorado is ridiculous no matter what your arrow weights.   :rolleyes:  

Try to work your way up if you can and good luck on your hunt  :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
This is just my thought but if you can shoot some more I would. Not saying you cant do it with your gear but a little heavier would help.
exactly
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Great advice from many experienced hunters. Everyone says heavy arrow and good broadhead with a lower poundage bow. Of those that have taken elk what broadheads have you done that with?
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I just now checked the Colo regs and 35# is the minimum..... but mid 50 would be much better.  Elk are big tough animals that can take a lot of killing.  You want them dead soon not miles later..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©