3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: flemish-endless loop  (Read 647 times)

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: flemish-endless loop
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Darren - "I also know with endless, if it's a 14 strand string, you have all 14 strands going around the limb tips."

Darren, although I have made endless strings before, I don't do so very often but in a 14 strand string I believe you have 8 strands going around one tip and 7 strands going around the other tip unless one pads the loops. Perhaps you meant to say in a flemish string?

Rob, due to Murphy's Law...when it comes to hunting bows...I too like to keep a decent safety factor margin in my equipment...be it arrow weight, string count in the body, or string count in the loops. I won't shoot less than 9 strands of dynaflight97 for that reason...but I really don't have any objection to shooting 12 or 15 strands either. Generally, if I am at a 3D shoot or hunting locally, I will often use 9 strands. If I was going to go on a once in a lifetime hunt and out in the middle of no where, I would probably have 12 or 15 strand strings along with 2 spares strings in my pack and maybe even an extra bow (despite NEVER having a string fail or breaking a bow). I just don't like Murphy knocking on my door and think of the cost/gain ratio of the choices we make. In a previous conversation we discussed arrow weight and even though I think many bows would survive 7 gpp...I opted to follow your advice on setting my guarantee to 8 gpp for the very same reason I described above. Generally, the people that would want to shoot 7 gpp aren't really using good judgment even if the bow can handle it because such arrows simply are not ideal for hunting applications. I opted to suggest 9-12 gpp to promote good judgment, but warranty the bows down to a minimal of 8 gpp. I decided it would be best to NOT ATTRACT THOSE THAT DON'T PRACTICE GOOD JUDGMENT. I think your advice on that matter may help me target a wiser market and promote wiser judgment. After all, those that want light arrows obviously are chasing speed over all else and very likely will go lighter and lighter in arrow weight until they have a problem with it...and I don't want to be accountable for such behavior...so by stating things in my warranty the way I did (or some other bowyer's warranty), my goal was NOT to get out of fixing a problem...but was to prevent the development of such behavior. So, I think you for your input in the gpp warranty conversation.

All that said, if one pays attention to their equipment, it doesn't matter which type of string (endless or flemish) they use...and if they don't pay attention, it still won't matter. Ever met someone that said their motor is so good they don't ever have to change it? LOL. I hope not.

Bowstrings, like motor oil, are a wearable item and need to be changed once in a while.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradlongbow:
.... I also know with endless, if it's a 14 strand string, you have all 14 strands going around the limb tips.

Darren
nope, like lee sez above, for a 14 strand endless string, one loop will have 7 strands and the other 8 strands.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
all my bows have 8 strand dyneema endless strings, with 6 added strands in the loop servings.  the tensile strength on that string exceeds 800# and could easily be used with a 100# bow.  mine are only a mere 52#-56#.  

i did my testing and that's what works best for me.  with less hmpe strands, the string is 'softer' than if with 50% more strands.  and very noticeably quieter.  

i've got the same 8 strand dyneema endless string on my main 55# longbow for over 2 years and probably a few thousand shots throug it.  looks almost like new, 'cept for a little hog blood on it.  :)   dyneema is really tough stuff, and halo spectra center serving is tougher yet.

no matter what the string build or spex, 2 years is pushing it with a string that gets a few thousand arrows through it.  i usually build a new string each spring.  i'm due.

i always carry the same pair of spare strings and each have been setup and shot in for a coupla hundred arrows at least.  i've never had to use a spare yet ... but hey, that's what spare strings are for.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©