3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shed Hunting  (Read 1570 times)

Offline gak

• Trad Bowhunter
Shed Hunting
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
Is it to early to start looking for sheds? The reason I ask my buddy had an 8 pt. in one of his hog traps a couple of days ago.

Offline Jon Shade

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shed Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:01:00 AM »
I just found a real nice set of sheds in my backyard yesterday! LOL All the years of walking and searching that never turned up anything. Go figure! Sure made my day.  Jon

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
It is never to early to start looking......However, you can burn yourself out.

I don't know anything about when the deer start dropping in Oklahoma, but they usually start dropping at the end of December here in Ohio.

I personally will not start stomping the brush until Feb.  That will give me better odds that all the deer have just about dropped and I won't have to hunt the same place twice.

I usually find a few a year, but I spend a long time walking to find those few I come up with.

People say there are better places than others to find them...I have found that if you want to find some horn you have to be willing to search every deer trail you can find.  I have personally found them about everywhere.

Beds, creek crossings, fields, and just laying beside a well used trail.

Good luck it is very rewarding to find them....

Just don't get discouraged if you don't find one every time out.  Chances are you won't, but then again when you do find one it is worth the work.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
as of monday all of the bucks I have been getting on trail cam were still holding their antlers.  Im hoping they start dropping here soon.  It should be any day now.  I plan to check the cams again on Sunday so maybe just maybe it will show some of them as having shed.  In which case the real work begins.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I have been seeing a lot of bucks still holding their antlers. Last sat I saw a 140" 10pt with both sides.....too bad he didn't come into range. I wait until the end of february usually.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
I picked this one up last night when walking out of the woods from squirrel hunting. I didn't have a light on, just happen to walk right over it.

Good to know a decent buck is still around.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
They start dropping as early as the end of December and middle January here in Missouri. A friend of mine found a matching set from a huge 10pt. below his lake dam right around Christmas one year. Which makes a good point that the bigger bucks generally shed earlier than the smaller ones. I don't know if it's a biological fact or not, but I think it's because the big boys need a longer growing season for larger head gear?
They claim that the peticles begin to grow new antlers immediately upon shedding the old.

I found half of a decent 8pt. last year near the river on a gravel bar and it was the first week of January. I don't know how long it had been there, but nothing had chewed on it yet so I'm almost positive that it was within just a day or so of me finding it?

If nothing else, shed hunting is a fantastic way to get some exercise and if you carry your trad bow and some stumpin arras with ya, it's great target practice for next year. You also may find some old buck sign in an area you didn't even know existed? Food for thought.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
the bucks are still carrying their headgear here in Virginia.

Pulled these off the trail camera yesterday...

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
WOW.....what a six point!!!!!   :scared:    :scared:
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
you live by a nuke plant???

-hv
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline JJ1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
nice looking 6 point

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
That is a dandy 6 point!! I'm gonna start looking this weekend. It's usually around the end of Jan or first of Feb in my neck of the woods...thats when I start looking anyway. A good walk in the woods is always welcome! Jason

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Most have dropped in our area because of the tough winter. I've found around 30 so far.

Offline Mack Marine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
That's a Jim Dandy 6 pointer!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
That is a beautiful 6 pt. Wish I had seen him during hunting season where I live.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »

i called this guy whacky rack because of what his rack looked like.  He is the first of about 6 or 7 I have been getting regularly to drop.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Biggest 6 pointer I think I have ever seen. Keep tabs on that boy. He could be a BRUTE!!
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I found my first brown of the year on the 15th, a little earlier than normal out here in Oregon. Have 7 browns so far, and no matched sets.

I found the brown shed on the right last year on Feb.5 and looked forever trying to find the match. A week ago a friend stumbled upon it and gave it to me. Still in good shape and nothing chewed on it all year!

"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I saw that 6pt 4 times during the season, had him in bow range only once but never had a shot.  His is on the hit list for next year. I think    :confused:  I have him figured out, but we all know how that goes.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Buckhorn3380

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Best of Luck with him next year he should be a bruiser!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©