3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mohawk longbow performance ???  (Read 1554 times)

Online joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mohawk longbow performance ???
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Hi,

I know there is a good following here with Mohawk longbows; so I would like to inquire about their performance?

I know they are not a heavy r/d hybrid longbow. But how much.....if you will....slower are they to a fast hydrid?  

Have you experienced a big difference?  

Thanks for your input; ~ joe
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mohawk longbow performance ???
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Joe ,
Like alot of folks on here ive tried alot of different hybrid longbows and ive owned several Mohawks . The diffrence is very small in performance if any at all and to me it seem to out perform several well known bows PLUS more quiet .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
I don't use a chronograph on my bows because i can tell if the arrow is fast enough by simply watching it.  And, because I'm not into speed in any real sense of the word like compound shooters seem to be.

My Mohawk is a 53# at 28" bow and at my 27" length it should be around 51#.   My bow, and I've heard other Mohawk shooters say the same, likes a somewhat heavy arrow.   The bowyer recommends a starting arrow weight of 10 gpp of draw weighti.

Mohawks are a D shaped bow without hand shock and mine, which is made from bocote and bamboo, is very light.   Mine probably weighs around 1 lb, maybe 1.25 lbs and I remember thinking when I first got it that the bow felt almost "dainty", but trust me, it's a good, strong and well made bow that is second to none.

Performance is wonderful and at ranges of 20-25 yards.  Properly tuned it is very quiet and it has more than enough power to drive a heavy arrow with a sharp broadhead through just about anything on this continent.

I have shot quite a few longbows and I enjoy this one far more than any of the others.  I can say positively that I'll never sell it.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I have a momment, I will add my results.  I have 2 Hawks.  My 66 inch 54 at my 30 inch draw has produced the following, like 562 grain arrows were around 173-175 fps.  I have switched to an SPD string 8 strand and I think it is now like 170 or so with my 580 grain woodies.  Not bad speed for being roughly 10.7 grains per inch of draw out of a D style bow.

My 64 inch 40 at 28 inch bow shoots a 488 grain arrow around 168 with a crappy string.  WHen I put a psycho string on it I expect to be in the lower 170's.

No hand shock in either bow. they are inherently very quiet, with the skinny string, they are quieter and faster.

Also I have shot a deer at 35 yards with a 620 grain arrow out of the the 54 pound bow.  (Velocity is like 162 fps I thnk?)  real quiet, accurate and obviously blows clean through!
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
The Mohawk is comparable to any other bow of similar design out there, if not a bit better.  The one I had was the smoothest drawing bow I've ever shot.  The grip and I just didn't get along when it came to hunting so I sold it.  In hindsight, I should have just sent it back to Vince and had him change the grip.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
mohawk bows perform very well.i have owned four of them and they are smooth drawing and very sweet shooters.you cannot go wrong.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
I've had EM out perform quite a few Hybrids !! Plus they actually Look & Feel like a True L/B, in which they are ...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
I tried one on a possible trade, the trade didn't work out but I thought it was a nice bow. At my draw it was about 54# which is more than I normally shoot. Bow smooth on the draw, grip I found friendly and I would say it launched my 575 GR cedar as well as any bow in the #'age class. Lots of people like them....I do see a few for sale from guys who love them, not sure what that's about. Maybe move'n up or down in poundage?   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Shot mine thru a chrono alongside a Widow PL11, both 64" and 50#@28" if I remember right. What I do remember is they shot exactly the same speed.

You won't go wrong with a Mohawk if that is your style bow. Shoot one first if you can to be sure.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
220 fps with the right arrow!  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
When I mentioned the chrony results of my Mohawks I should have made clear that I do have a 30 inch draw.  Also, my limbs are all bamboo.  I think hte boo is very light but tough.  the decrease in mass may give any bow a 1-2 fps improvement?  So, my longer draw and the boo limbs may help to squeeze out a few more FPS in my opinion.

However, I think most D shaped bows will preform similarly.  I like the Mowhawk because I just love that style of bow.  I love the handle and my elbow does not tolerate hand shock.  Even if I do not perceive it, the next day when my elbow aches and my fingers get numb, so no hand shock for me.

The smooth draw in those boo limbs and what ever else goes into the design eliminate any hand shock, and is why I shoot the bows. They are quiet, a bigggie for me, and smooth.  I can even shoot 54 pounds again ... no elbow pain.  They are forgiving of my less than perfect form as well. So, I know the orginal post was what type of speed can one expect.  I guess it is average to good, a bit above average.  That is not the only reason I like mine.

There are lots of real good longbows out there.  I think the bow kinda picks the shooter, so shoot as many as you can.  Marty's Sapelo is one I have always wanted to try as well as Dan Toelke's Super-D.  It may be more about the grip, quiet and smoothness than the speed.

Best of luck in your research Joe.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
im thinking about getting one.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
Aside from my joke above, Mohawks are fine bows.  As has already been stated, most are really close in speed.  For the ones I have built, the mild R/D profile out performs the straight ones by 10-15 fps.  Not earth shattering, but noticeable.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
Great shooting longbow; no appreciable speed difference between it an any of my recurves; but noticabley quieter.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Online joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
not only a superb performer, but lotsa value for yer dollar - overlays on both sides of the risr AND limb tips, limbs are trapped, great selection of limb and riser materials without an upcharge.  oh yeah, did i mention the 'hawks are great hunting longbows that LOVE heavy arrows?   ;)  

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
I most certainly second all of the good things that have been said about Vince and his bows.

I will be refreshing my personal memory very soon!

Watch for it!!!!....lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
I've seen Rob's bows 1st hand....and I love the look and the finish....here's a couple more of Rob's bows....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Mohawks have been on my to-try list for quite some time.

Sure hope I will have the opportunity to shoot one at Cloverdale. And then again, I'm afraid I will like it.

Have owned several high-end bows,yet have found by shooting a Monatana LB, that this style is possibly the most enjoyable for me.

The biggest problem I see is that I will have to tell my son to get his own bow rack.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©