3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cornfused  (Read 503 times)

Offline Buckethead1

• Trad Bowhunter
Cornfused
« on: June 08, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
I always forget this so I thought I'd ask here. I shoot a #57 R/D longbow and use cedar shafts. I know they are spined at 26". I cut mine to 30 1/2. What the heck spine should I order at full length to get them close to my #57? I asked this question once before (not here) and received a math lesson on lbs/inch, etc. (I hate math!) Just looking for a simple answer. Thanks a bunch!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cornfused
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
85-90s should be close 90-95s if you want real heavy points.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Buckethead1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Man that was fast! Thanks alot. Looks like I was off. I was ordering 70-75. Told you I hated math!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
What kind of string, how tight the nocks fit, whether the bow is cut shy, to, or past center, point weight, your release, etc. etc. etc. will all make a difference.

I shoot a comparably fast longbow, cut to center, with a Dynaflight '97 string and good nock fit (very light snap).  I shoot full length shafts with 125 grain points, pulling [email protected] and get great flight (bare-shaft and paper tuned) with 75-80# spine shafts.

Too many variables to consider to know for sure.  The chart on Foxfire Archery's site will get you in the ball-park.

Chad

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
For every inch over 28" subtract 5# per inch.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Add 5lb for every inch over 28
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
:knothead:  

Add or subtract #5, which one is it?  Are we talking draw length or arrow length.

Glad I could add or subtract to the cornfusion.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
That's a general rule with arrow spine/length--add 5# of spine for every extra inch of arrow length.  

Like most "rules" there are plenty of exceptions.  My longbow I listed is one, my selfbow is another.  I'm pulling about 31" on it, also use 125 grain points and full length POC with it, and the spine I get the best flight with is 45-50.  I'm pulling 65-67# on it with a Dynaflight '97 string.  Another "rule" is add 10# or so to the spine with FF type strings.  Guess I've never been much good at following the rules.  :readit:    "[dntthnk]"  

Chad

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Check to see how the maker spined you arrows. woodies are supposed to be spined at 26". You subtract 5# from spine weight for every inch over whatever length they were spined at. Point weights, shelf-cut, string can all effect what spine the bow likes.

With what you gave for info, I would say try to get your hands on a couple 85/90 and 90/95 for a start. Others will have different experiences.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©