3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finding shed tips  (Read 260 times)

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Finding shed tips
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I plan on doing a little shed hunting once this snow let's up. I have found shed's in the past but has always been by chance. Is there anything or place in particular that would increase my chances of success? What has been working for you guy's?
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Ky Double Lung

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finding shed tips
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
If you have a winter food source, winter wheat,  standing corn or beans, I would begin there. Check the field over good and then work your way back into the woods, be sure to check fence crossings and ditch crossings. These are places where deer jump and the impact of landing can sometimes jar loose a horn. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Cactus Cal's
'Saguaro' R/D Longbow 58"
55 lbs. @ 28"
Beman 340 MFX Classic 31"
100 grain brass insert
2 blade 125 Magnus Stinger
Total weight: 592 grains
"Bustin' hearts all over Ky."

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
No agriculture over here, so we have to look for normal wild food sources and nothing brings deer in better in the cold than cedar/juniper/arborvitie, etc. If you can find a cedar swamp or cluster of any of these types of conifers, deer will often yard up, coming from miles around when the snow gets high and will hang out. When I started finding these, my shed collection exploded. Use what Joe said about places that may jarr an antler loose. I've found tons here in Massachusetts, never found one until learning this.
David M. Conroy

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
horse back best way I know of to find sheds Good advice above though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I find most of my sheds in grassy waterways in cor/bean fields. It seems they really like tobed in these in late winter at night between feeding.

Bedding areas in the nastiest thick stuff on the property is my next favorite spot.

I don't start hunting sheds until med Febuary though as i do not want to bust the deer out of there bedding areas and have them switch areas on me.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
South facing slopes, bedding and feeding areas, fence crossings.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
I will 2nd the ag. feilds. Very likely spot. Also beddning areas. I always go stump shooting and sometimes happen by a shed!!!  :eek:    :knothead:    :bigsmyl:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
I found that you find many more sheds when you actually dedicate specific time for it. I used to hike around and keep an eye out for them and found some. since I started spending time grid searching areas and looking behind every clump of grass i have found many more. Over the years I average 6 hrs for every shed i find. Some days you'll find a few in a short time and other times you won't find one for a day or 2.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Great info here fellas, thanks for sharing.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Look for sheds on the edges of secluded ponds. Ponds in the middle of or directly next to crop fields are best. Some of my biggest sheds were found just into the water from shore.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
And head out now while the snow is still on the ground.  That way you can find the heavily used trails.  Those have been good places for me.  I find and mark all the places the deer are using then go back when the snow's gone....
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
If you can find a runway or 2 ....follow it. Will lead you to bedding,food and other places they hang out. Don't look for antlers....look for a piece of antler, a tine or base, most of all have fun doing it. Late season scouting is kind'a neat!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jeffrey Coria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »
Finding good sheds, not eaten by porcupines is tough in NM.  I'll be looking though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©