3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long did it take you to get accurate?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline pergradus

• Trad Bowhunter
How long did it take you to get accurate?
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Well today was my 4th day shooting and man I'm falling in love with this sport quickly.

At 10 yard I was starting to get moderate groups, all falling within about a 10" circle. When I stepped up to 20 yards (for the first time) I missed the target at first but by the end I was at least hitting the target, so that's progress!

From the good advice on these forums I know that form is what counts, so right now I don't even really aim at any particular spot but concentrate on trying to be consistent in form. I'm just wondering though, what is the typical learning curve on a barebow? I know I've got lots of practice ahead of me - and I'm fine with that!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long did it take you to get accurate?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Every one progresses at a different rate I think. Keep close for a while working on that perfect shot. Easy to say as seeing the arch of the arrow is addicting. Enjoy your journey.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Just remember to keep working on your form to it is critical when shoot at a longer range.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
That's right about form,and katman gave some good advice there.I shot a wheelie-bow for 2 years without sights before I joined the real bow club,so the switch to a recurve wasn't all that bad for me.I was hell on targets,but missed a lot of deer before remembering to pick a spot while shaking like a leaf...LOL
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
youll never stop getting better. it took me about a couple months or so in the summer to be able to hit consitantly where i am. just take your time and have funn. youll get better in time

steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
once your form is good, start picking spots.  Then go back and fix your form, then shoot some targets(of some sort), then do it all again. You will find that you think you have the proper form until you read again what you are supposed to be feeling or doing, then you will figure it out even more...and so on, forever. So basically it is likely that you will get more and then less accurate and then more again in some sort of cycle until you quit shooting. Usually over-thinking it and shooting when you are tired are bad things. Over time your consistency should be good and maintain if you keep shooting.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Try taking just one step back at a time,and go back too starting point when needed.Starting point is where you can put all your arrows in a 4 inch circle.Forget about 10 20 30yds and think in one step at a time.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
very few people I see shoot have great, even good form. Mine is good, but very consistent. So I wish it were great, but I am stuck...The consistency part allows me to hit what I want.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Keep at it and concentrate on each shot. Build your mental and muscle memory. Remember it is not the number of arrows that you shoot during one session. It is how well you shoot the few that you can accurately during that session. When you start to get tired stop shooting and this will help prevent bad habits. Mix up your shooting as you get more experience, it will build confidence. Get with a friend who is more experienced and have them critique you and video yourself shooting to evaluate your form. Keep it fun and good luck.

Offline Buckhorn3380

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Once you get your form down to where your doing the same thing over and over, pick a spot (small)and practice practice practice!!!!! Good Luck with it! I wish you the best!!!!

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Always liked what Ron LaClair says. " In this sport accuracy is the last thing to come, the fun part is getting there".

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Accuracy - not long
Consistancy - still working on it.

Develop a specific routine that you live by for each and every shot. The more you break it down, w/i reason, the easier it becomes to identify and focus on problematic areas.

Treating each arrow as if it were your only opportunity is imperitive. The last arrow is already gone. By conciously following your defind sequence you should be able to slow down execute your form and reflect.

Having a competent mentor is invalueable.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Thueb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
I think the thing that helped me the most was shooting at very close range... one arrow at a time. Don't worry too much about where you shoot or your group size, just concentrate on good form.  I should probably say good form with a stickbow is much different that shooting a compound so I would read some books or watch some videos to understand what good form is.  Then concentrate on making each shot perfect.  

I learned to shoot a stickbow in the hallway of my house, honestly from a range of about 8 feet.  I shot thousands of arrows from 8 feet.  Working on form and tweaking things just like Overspined said.  Once I felt like I "mastered" my form I started to shoot outside... not at specific ranges shooting groups but I would go stumping.  After a month or two of stumping shooting groups at 15 or 20 yards seemed easy.  

This process took me a few months, I started shooting in the winter (hence the inside shooting) and by summer I was fairly confident in my shooting to about 25 yards.  Later that summer I killed a pronghorn buck at about 25 yards... it works.

I know mentioning shooting styles and aiming techniques start some great debates, and that's not my intention, but G. Fred Asbell's instinctive shooting 2 book has some great info on shooting form.  It helped me.

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
Never get frustrated with your shooting, after all there are so many factors that come in to play on major one being fatigue so if you're sore or tired and your groups are getting bad just stop and pick up shooting later!

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Learning is a blast.  I've been shooting a couple months, and the tough part for me is consistency.  I can nail the bull, but then miss badly.  Getting consistent form and cutting down on bad misses is my goal now, and I've slowed down the number and speed of my shooting sessions.  Just shot last night at stuff thrown around in the yard and on a hill and it is fun (I felt like a kid and lost an arrow).  I can't figure out why I never took this up sooner.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Cal bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
One good arrow, then a bunch more. Another good arrow, then a bunch more, and the cycle continues.

Offline pergradus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
thanks for all the good tips, i'll keep them in mind as I go    :thumbsup:

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
i finally got to the point where i can hit good with my bear kodiak. then i bought my new bow and have to mess around with that and see what works best. groups great but all to the left of where im aiming.

it can get frustrating but accuracy takes some time.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
It depends on what you mean by 'accurate'-still working on it!

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
It’s been 23 years and I still cannot brag.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©