3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rabbit hunting tactics  (Read 487 times)

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
Rabbit hunting tactics
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
I've never hunted rabbits with my bow, but I'd like to give it a try.  The weather where I live in Southwestern Virginia is supposed to be beautiful this Saturday, and I'd like to get out in it.  We have a couple of inches of snow on the ground now, but it will likely be gone by Saturday.

I've done a search for rabbits and rabbit hunting and picked up a few tips, but I would like to hear from a few of you successful rabbit hunters about what tactics are best.  

I'll be hunting by myself with no dogs, so I'm thinking still hunting through the brushiest areas I can find is my best bet.  Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Offline celticfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rabbit hunting tactics
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
tough to do with no dogs and alone. Walk slowly and carefully and scan the cover closely. Look for marbles in the leaves. That's what their eyes look like.

I'll be rabbit hunting Sat too. BUt I'll be chasing them with 2 packs of beagles.
"Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatique and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps and happy campfires." -Fred Bear

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Rabbit hunting is tough even with a beagle and a 20 guage. Good luck to u brother. Keep us posted.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Well, it's either cutting wood or spending the day out in the sunshine with my bow in my hand.  If I don't see any rabbits, there will be plenty of stumps!

Offline Dax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
It's tough cause of the thick stuff they hang in to get an arrow through...but if you're just looking for a good day in the woods, keep looking for the black eye and it helps to have a pair of smaller binoculars to help pick them out.  An ace hex blunt is a good head to have.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
"Rabbit hunting is tough even with a beagle and a 20 guage. Good luck to u brother."

Thats a very true statement. I hunt rabbits a TON once deer season closes. When the cycle is up, I think a dog actually slows a guy down.

Right now rabbits are down in my spots. I use a bow on private land and a 20 on the state land. Heres my thinking......the state land rabbits are going to get shot anyway. Take 'em. My young beagle needs to see a dead rabbit at the end of the trail once in awhile.  The private land bunnies, I hunt with a longbow, that way I don't actually HURT any   :bigsmyl:  Keep 'em around for next week...

My most success with rabbits and a bow is no dog, fresh snow, and pick a track. Stick to it, stalk it, and get a close sitting shot. Looking for that "black liquid eye" we all read about as kids really works.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »

Offline loneviking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:01:00 AM »
Interesting. Out west here, in the sagebrush, you bust 'em out and hang back. They'll run a little ways, stop (if nothing seems to be chasing them) and look back. That's when you can nail 'em---unless they've found some really tall, thick sagebrush to get into.  And watch out for rocks. The little monsters love rocks and there's no arrow going that will stand up to hitting Nevada basalt.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 05:09:00 AM »
Nice and slow ... walk 'em up and try and bust then before they bust you. My place is infested with them, just ask Rod Jenkins !

And take lottsa arrows !!!!
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.  It's snowing lightly now, so maybe there will be enough snow for tracking early in the morning before it melts off.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Here are some rabbit tips you can employ no matter what weapon you use. Move very slowly and scan every clump of long grass brush pile. If you flush an eastern cottontail find a high spot near where you busted them and wait and don't move be silent and they will eventually circle round and come back.

Late afternoon is the best time to find them out and feeding or moving. Walk diagonally to close within range and not directly at them. they will sit still and not move if they think they have not been seen. Stalking them in a directly line is a dead giveaway they have been seen. Once as a kid my dad and I were standing listening to the dogs run a rabbit when I saw a glass wine jug and bent down to hit it with a rock. That of course annoyed my dad who told me to stop. When I stood up a rabbit busted less than a foot from the bottle that had been hidden in a small clump of long grass. I've run my snow blower by rabbits over and over withing 3 feet and they didn't move as long as I was moving parallel. Once I stopped next to them and took one step to the side (toward them) they busted like a shot out of hell.

If it is a cold clear sunny day look for them bedded on south facing slopes soaking up the sun's warmth. Pay especial attention to areas sheltered from the wind.

Another tactic it to sneak along the edges of fields or powerlines with brushy edges with binocs as mentioned above and scrutinize every spot where you could hid a coffe cup. It is amazing how they can completely disappear in a spot that "seems" open and unable to hide sparrow much less a rabbit.

If you find an area with lots of fresh rabbit droppings, look for grassy or brushy areas or wood piles near by and a high spot to stand and make a stand there a little before sunset. Chances are they will be back to feed in the evening.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Roger is right on with Michigan bunnies. Stalk the tracks slowly and keep your eyes peeled!  Also look for high concentrations of poop.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Cover ground and get lucky.  Move slowly though if alone.  Spend more time when you see sign.  

Cant get them if your not out and sfter them.

Good luck and have fun.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Thanks, Chop.  Lots of helpful info. in your post.  I'll put it to good use come Saturday.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
I'm out to bust bunny's next Saturday myself at our annual TBM rabbit hunt.  

BTW just watched a parade of 6 gobblers walk through my Mother-in-Law's yard about 50-60 yards from where I sit...
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Wear brush pants and walk slowly kicking every pile of brush you pass.  They will flush but if you don't shoot at them they will not run too far.  Then stalk their escape route hoping to catch him hiding in a brushpile.  They will let you walk right by them depending on their camoflage that you will not see them.  Snow makes it easier.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Well, firstly, I looks for the bunny. Then, nextly, I sees the bunny. Then, well then I shoots the bunny. Thats how I do it, just real slow.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
TTT with a new question,

I was out today and found a good area.

It was mid morning and I saw 3 and one grouse.

They all spooked early and ran into Rail Road Tie piles.

Any advice on how to get these rabbits?

Oh yeah, there were almost as many coyote/fox tracks as rabbit and I see they are better hunters than I.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Yeah Charlie,get yourself a book of matches and a can of diesel and when the rabbits get "smoked out"....just kidding.  :pBut....

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
slow down. Shoot them before the get there. Don't try to jump shoot them more like a slow stalk.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©