3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I ready  (Read 476 times)

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
Am I ready
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Have been getting all my gear ready for my first sambar hunt. And I'm starting to wonder if I'm ready yet I have only been shooting trad for 1year but practice nearly every day I can hit my rinehart target circle out to 20-25 yards every time. But I have never shot at a 3d target, I've takin a few foxes and bunnies, but I'm not shore how I will go under the pressure. Do u have any tips?
Those who hunt miss... those who don't hunt miss far more.
Time spent without bow or rod in hand is time forever wasted.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I ready
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
I have no idea how many deer I've shot over the years and still sometimes I'm not ready in the heat of the moment. Shooting at small game doesn't produce the feeling I get when shooting at deer sized animals. When they come in sometimes for me its like shooting at a bed sheet hanging in a tree. There is no "Spot" to aim at on a large plain colored background. You may not have this issue but a lot of us do. You hear it over and over but in the heat of the moment not picking a spot and aiming at the entire deer is a battle we fight. I literally have to tell myself to pick a spot as the deer comes in.

For practice to prevent this I try and shoot large monotone deer type targets with no spot or aiming point. I think for me shooting spots on a target all year is where this problem begins.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Good luck and enjoy the hunt. Things that help me are to try and control my breathing keep myself calm. Also try and focus only on the spot you want your arrow to go not looking at horns and such. Remember we've all been there and the rush is one reason why we hunt. Have fun!!!!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Relax and focus on the SPOT only, all your practice and preparations  will help you do the rest. Enjoy Don  Keep them sharp
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
All the practice in the world won't necessarily replace the experience gained by actually doing it. Just stay within your personal limitations and have fun. It sounds like you are ready. Just remember to stay in your self-imposed boundries based on your abilities. Remember to report back with your story with pictures.     :archer2:

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
If I'm hitting a side plate size target at 25yards every time. will I have enough hitting power at that range, I'm shooting a hill bow 60# at my draw with mnt ash arrows with 125gr Magnus broad heads?

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
At the moments before you loose your arrow, if your heart isn't about to come out of your chest, your vision doesn't go south on you and you are remembering to breath slowly and deeply, something is dreadfully wrong...lol

But short of that, you'll do just fine!!

I know there have been a couple of times as I was hanging onto a tree to keep from falling out and my heart feels like it's going to burst out of my chest. I have to honestly admit that I remember asking myself..."Are you having fun yet?",,,lol

Something like that is a very worse case scenario and took a while to over come but it can be done.

I'm sure you will do just fine.

Good luck, good hunting and most of all.. God bless!

His servant. Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
I don't know the particulars of Sambar (my kills have been limited to Whitetail and Fallow Deer).  Don't let them over-awe you.  They are made of mortal flesh and will die.  Think of them as big bunnies and REMEMBER TO PICK A SPOT.  

I've been deer hunting 31 years now and I still get flushed when a deer approaches.  Part of why I hunt - it's exciting!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
quote: "The Sambar attains a height of 102 to 160 cm (40 to 63 in) at the shoulder and may weigh as much as 546 kg (1200 pounds), though more typically 162–260 kg (357-574 pounds)"  I think that I would shoot as heavy an arrow as I could put together, but what you have described should work just fine as long as you take a quality shot meaning a broadside through both lungs. My research shows that the Sambar was introduced into your country a number of years ago and is now considered by many to be damaging your eco-systems, so, good luck with your hunt.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Here is the jist of what Michelle Eichler told my wife who didn't know if she was ready. Michelle told her simply that if an animal showed itself and offered a shot there was no law that said you have to shoot. Each hunting situation is special unto itself and sometimes a shot in a particular situation may not be the best thing to do whether the problem is you, your state of mind or readiness, the weather, etc.  Go hunting and let the experience unfold. It's called the "Moment of Truth" for a reason.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Yea mate they are now becoming out of control, in the early days when I was hunting with a rifle u use to have too go in search of these big animals in the high country but now they are walking around semi rural areas on the lowlands everywhere.

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
hello and best of luck on your hunt!

Posts on the internet won't cure self-doubt, only you can do that. Be safe, ethical and confident.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Good luck, PICK A SPOT
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
The only way to find out if you are ready is to go. You have to fling an arrow to put brown on the ground.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Some great advise.  They are a fairly large animal, but #60 should be plenty of bow.  Make sure the head is sharp.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
IMHO there is a valid hunt learning curve that far supecedes target practice. Living breathing beautiful animal is altogether different. You ARE a hunter. This we do. Enjoy every experience. Philosophy can wait.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
thanks heaps for all your input. i just looked at my arrows i dont have a set of grains scales but i weighed them on a good set of kitchen scales and they are 45grams, per a conversion chart on the internet that would make them around the 690grains mark is that a fairly heavy arrow or should i be looking at something a bit heaver for the bigger game?

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
You got it covered in my eyes and only you will know when the time comes. Don't force anything.

I now know that someday I want to hunt a Sambar.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Maybe when i get some money together I can come over to the states and some of u guys could show me all about ur white tail and I could return the favor over here with the sambar.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
I agree with Bill. Years ago when I moved from Mich. to Az. I got a permit to humt elk. (They were easy to get in those days.) I had no idea what I was doing but surely after years of hunting whitetails it souldn't be a big deal. The first evening out I sat down on a hillside in the head of a canyon. Lo and behold thirty minutes later a huge Bull strolled infront of me not more than 15 yds. I was overwhelmed. I never raised my bow. I just wasn't ready for this. Through the years I have seen thousands of elk, and killed my share, but I don't think I've ever encountered one that matched my first.
        Good luck  Larry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©