3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Jim's...Buffalo or Thunderchild?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Jim's...Buffalo or Thunderchild?
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
I'm really liking what I've seen of the bows from Big Jim's, wondering what people think of the two models?  How's a guy to choose without actually shooting them, which isn't likely to happen.  Can anybody give me an idea of the shooting characteristics of each?  I know the Thunderchild is a little shorter with a more forward handle, is the Buffalo bow also a hybrid type?  Any photos would be great, gratuitous bow pics much appreciated.  I'm a bit fan of pretty wood and the Big Jim bows I've seen in photos seem to have this in spades.

Looking at getting back into traditional shooting, not giving up my UltraElites, but something is missing without a stickbow.  I have had a Monarch longbow, Robertson Peregrine, and a Blacktail Elite, all of which I hadn't let go over the years.  The stories of guns and bows I shouldn't have sold...

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Jim's...Buffalo or Thunderchild?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Tod: I have not owned a Big Jim Bow yet, But I'am with you, really like the looks of his bows. Everything I have heard about them has been positive. I'am going to order his Thunder Child with tiger myrtle veneers, haven't decided on riser yet. A 56# @ 28" and 56" long. Saving funds now. Good luck on your decision Don
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I have a Buffalo bow. The T-ganger I got it from broke a tip and had the bow shortened, it went from 64" to 60" it is now 99#@28. The bow is a take down and is rock soild when strug. It was big Jims personal bow. He wrote "buit by Jim for himself" pick a spot. This is an swasome bow when you pick it up it is so accurate and very fast. Gabon eboney and cocobolo with white acient stripes in the riser and beavertail grip ad the macasser eboney veneers well you get the picture. SWEET!!! I would buy another one great guy great bows. He is over a year wait now and I can see why. I bought the bow for a workout bow and now I find myself shooting it alot. The Buffalo bow has alot of RD and when it is srung it is not a D bow, I would say it is a hybrid type for sure. No hand shock and very quiet. Hope this has helpes I don't think you will be disappointed in either bow. He is a masterbowyer for sure.
psalm 83:18

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Your going to get a lot of comments from many of us "Jimaholics".I own two of his bows ,a Thunderchild takedown and a 3 piece Buffalo bow.My boy IT IS MONEY WEll SPENT.They are as good as bows get in every aspect.The only way to get mine are to pry my cold dead fingers from around them.Yes they're that nice.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Longstykes - That is going to be a beauty, myrtle limbs are really catching my eye.

Sorefingers - No need to explain your handle with a 99# longbow in the stable.

Thanks so far...

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
I have a 62" 58# @ 29" 2-pc buffalo and am on the list for a second which I'm leaning toward a 56" 2-pc TC at around 50-52# @29". So ask me in a few months and I'll let you know.  :D
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Easykeeper - Big Jim has 300+ pics on his web-site.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I ordered a 58" Buffalo Bow and a 56" Thunderchild early last summer as I couldn't deside which style bow to order myself both looked great.The last time I spoke with Big Jim he was running behind do to all the orders that poured in last fall so he thought maybe around Jan my bows might get built so I have been stareing at the phone everyday waiting for a call.    :D    As of the last few weeks I have been thinking of just building two Thunderchilds do to the fact I like shorter bows so much. I mainly shoot 54"-56" bows now about 90% of the time.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Sorefingers,

A 99# two-piece? That is impressive. I've always wondered what the carbon fiber two-piece systems could take - now I have my answer. Where are you located in MO - I'd wouldn't mind meeting up at a shoot and taking a look at it. Take care.
TommyBoy

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
sorefingers indeed,I heard my shoulder pop just
reading about that 99#er. Big Jim must be doing
something right,rarely see any of his work in the
classifieds.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Easykeeper, I am a Buff guy: Loved my buff so much that I had to have a 2 pieces, exactly the same, but take down for traveling

If like me you like long bows (both the Thunder and the Buff are hybrids) you'll like the Buff, if you like shorter bows the Thunder will do it!

BigJim is a true gentleman to deal with

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Both are great shooters and works of art and I don't think you could go wrong with either.  I have 2 Thunder Childs and I had to sell my Buffalo to buy new tires.  The Buffalo is my favorite because I can shoot it better, but my buff was a 1pc and wouldn't fit in my truck with the kids car seats in it so I had to let it go.  I can shoot the TC's good and they are perfect for all my hunting needs.  I still plan to get a couple more buffalo bows though when my finances allow it, and if Jim ever makes a "D" shape longbow well then I'll be putting an order in for at least one of those.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
From Kenneth: and if Jim ever makes a "D" shape longbow well then I'll be putting an order in for at least one of those.
X2 brother Kenneth

I'll try to talk to the Guy!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
My first instinct is toward the longer bow, just the traditional thought that they tend to be more forgiving, less finger pinch, ect.  Every fall my hands and fingers crack like dry clay so I really notice finger pinch.  But then I read how many people like the shorter hybrids that are being built now, makes me wonder if they're on to something haven't tried.  The shortest bow I ever had was a 60" Peregrine from Robertson.

Frenchymanny - What is your draw length?  I think my DL is somewhere in the neighborhood of 28", I shoot almost 29.5 with my compounds, pretty average.

Steel - I'll be watching for your thoughts on your new bows, I'd be chomping at the bit too.

I have browsed the gallery on Big Jim's website, leaves a drooly mess on my keyboard.  I'd love to see pics of Tradganger bows too.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Tod I draw 27"

Just check yours, as you cannot compare compounds and trad bows

I come from shooting  D longbows, so I feel comfortable with 62" bow length.

For stalking and tree stand that's perfect.
If you hunt in pop up blinds i can see the advantage of the shorter bow.
Decisions decisions    :bigsmyl:

Anyway I'm sure it will be a good one!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Frenchymanny:

From Kenneth: and if Jim ever makes a "D" shape longbow well then I'll be putting an order in for at least one of those.
X2 brother Kenneth

I'll try to talk to the Guy!

F-Manny [/b]
Manny,  I've talked to him about it and it's just a matter of time and getting caught up with all the orders so he can do some R&D.  I thought about not bragging on his work so much but that wouldn't help since just about everyone that's ever held one of his bows puts an order in.   :)
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Easykeeper:
My first instinct is toward the longer bow, just the traditional thought that they tend to be more forgiving, less finger pinch, ect.  Every fall my hands and fingers crack like dry clay so I really notice finger pinch.  But then I read how many people like the shorter hybrids that are being built now, makes me wonder if they're on to something haven't tried.  The shortest bow I ever had was a 60" Peregrine from Robertson.

Frenchymanny - What is your draw length?  I think my DL is somewhere in the neighborhood of 28", I shoot almost 29.5 with my compounds, pretty average.

Steel - I'll be watching for your thoughts on your new bows, I'd be chomping at the bit too.

I have browsed the gallery on Big Jim's website, leaves a drooly mess on my keyboard.  I'd love to see pics of Tradganger bows too.
Easykeeper,  I draw about 27 1/2" to 28" when I'm wearing heavy clothes and about 28 1/2" in regular clothes and the 56" TC's are a pleasure to shoot.  I have somewhat skinny fingers so mileage may vary but I don't experience any finger pinch at all.  The Buffalo bow I had was 60" and it was also real sweet to shoot.  I actually plan to order a 58" Buffalo when I get the funds to do so.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
I would have to believe that steel is on his second bit.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Hard choice. I own a 3 week old 56" TC T/D and have shot the Buffalo bow. Both are great shooting bows. Only thing is I wished my TC was a little heavier poundage. It's 46# @ 28"....so if you get a Buff or TC just like mine and it's a little too heavy...give me a holla...might work a trade.

Mike

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
when it comes to dra length and comfortable draw, i taled to BigJim because i was concerned too with my 30" draw. I ended up ordering a 56" version since he told he himself draws over 30" and shoots the shorter version. Thats proof enough for me.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©