3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Jim's...Buffalo or Thunderchild?  (Read 779 times)

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Jim's...Buffalo or Thunderchild?
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
I'm really appreciating the input.  Especially the comparisons.  I've been through the past threads, might be time to give him a call get it straight from the man himself.  Like to have my questions condensed though, don't want to waste his time.  Sounds like he has a few bows to make...

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
I have a 2pc Buffalo and it's awesome. I shot a TC and loved it so much I have a 2pc on order. They are both superb bows. You can see the workmanship in the many pics of them, and they shoot as good as they look. Watch the Slideshow on Jim's site, but get a big "Drool Cloth" so you don't short out your keyboard! Lol!
IF you are sure you want one, I'd call Jim and make a down payment. Jim's bows are hot property now and it'll take awhile. Then send him some when you can, or put some money away for when it's done. The waiting list won't be getting shorter, but his bows are well worth the wait.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by sorefingers:
 He is over a year wait now and I can see why.
:scared:    :scared:    :scared:  

Really?! Has he suddenly been flooded or what?! When I got on the list in november it was only a 6 month wait! Did he, himself tell you the wait is up to a year?
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline tnbuckskinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I ordered a Thunderchild t/d last week and Jim said 7 months.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Why choose I think one of each is in order or two or three   :)  

Just click on the Slideshow link...

http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
I don't know about a year wait time I am getting close to seven months myself on my two bows ordered.I think Jim was around a 4 month wait time when I ordered but after seeing one of his bows and placing my orders I knew the day would come when he backed up 6-12 months his bows are just two nice and priced very fair.

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
I just heard that he was a year out sorry!! Jim himself didn't tell me.
psalm 83:18

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Mike I don't know how you could even think about parting with that georgous bow.

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
LOL! coaster500,

she ain't left yet! I love it, just wished it was a little more poundage....it would take one like it to replace her.....IDK,,the more I think about it, I may just get a heavier one and keep this one for the cold days or keep for later in life. It's the nicest looking bow I've owned.

Mike

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Guys- I apreciate the kind words. Lets clear up a couple of things. First, my "estimated" wait time is about 7 months. However this is subject to change due to extremely heavy phone traffic.

That hasn't changed much since June when I went to 6 months. I have experienced some growing pains and learned a thing or two and hope that I have eliminated a few time robbing issues.

Steel- You are the first person in the next group of bows that i will build. I will be calling in a couple of weeks to confirm specs.

I want to thank those who were so very patient when waiting for there bows. I am only able to spend about 50 hours a week on building bows. The other 50 must be divided amongst my deminishing roofing buisness and my growing archery supply buisness. My wife is quite gracious enough to accept what time is left... mostly   :)  

As far as what type of bow to choose: Of course I am asked this question all of the time. I have been shooting my buffalo bows for a long time and have grown quite fond of them. Change is never easy and I was reluctant to spend too much time with the ThunderChild. I knew it was smooth and quiet. Although I shoot every bow that leaves out of here, I hadn't made a bow in my draw weight to get a real feel. I missed weight on a higher pound bow about 2 weeks before ETAR and decided to keep it. I got to shoot about a doz. arrows out of it before I received an offer I couldn't refuse. Here lately, I had changed a little item in my takedown components and accidently glued a high draw weight bow back into a one piece so I decided to keep it. I started tuning an arrow for it only to find it shoots the same arrows that I shoot from my buffalo. Both bows are around 80lbs. The
TC is a 56" and I draw it to 30.5". I don't have any problems with finger pinch and I would say my fingers are a mite bigger than average. I don't have any stacking problems with it and the scale proves there to be no stacking until about 31" on a 56" bow. It is a real shooter. fast and quiet with no hand shock. I am working on brackets to offset my quivers for the TC too.

I doubt that it will take over the Buffalo for favorite child, but that is only because of how much time I have spent with the Buff's. I can't keep a bow for more then 4 months anyway. I actually sold the TC 3 days after I finished it and the gentleman had to back out because of a serious injury.

I hope this has helped. I will continue to give it my very best and although I can't promise shorter waiting lists, I will continue to work on my delivery schedule.

thanks again, From: BigJim, Barbara, Debbie, and Lakey.
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Mike, just make it your retirement Bow ... way to nice to let go !!! But if U do ???? click the name over my Avatar  :)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Like I said I own both,they are both great with no negatives on either.I've become real fond of my TC because of the hunting I do .With the limitations we impose on ourselves by shooting Trad bows I honestly think the TC IS the ultimate hunting weapon ,it has it all and with the level of workmanship and the true beauty of the woods Jim imparts on his creations I honestly don't know of a better bow and I've owned almost all.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
You guys need to leave Big Jim alone until he finishes my bow! It is supposed to take shape in February according to my last email from Jim, and I'm pretty excited to see the finished product. As far as waiting times, I placed my order in late September, so 6 to 7 months was accurate at that time.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
The wait times don't seem bad when you consider the obvious quality being put into the bow.  Six or seven months probably seems like a lifetime if you have one on order though, especially when you see some of the bow photos.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Trust me it is well worth the wait!  If you're like me the wait isn't that long cause it took me that long to figure out what wood combo I wanted.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
I will admit to not being a patient "Waiter" with my Buffalo, but once I had it in hand I forgot all about it, that bow is just soooo beautiful! Now I have a TC on order and since I know what an absolute masterpiece I'll be getting the wait is a piece of cake, well worth every minute. It helps that I have a Buff to play with in the meantime. Lol! Now, listen to Centaur and stop bothering Jim so he can build bows!   :laughing:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Jim,
The wait is not bad at all...especially considering the product for the price. I didnt in any way intend to make the wait an issue. I apologize if my post came off that way. I agree with Kenneth...I'm needing the time in order to pick out the woods! Keep up the great work!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
No offense taken. there was a time when I was the one waiting on a custom. I know the feeling.
 December and Janurary were tough months. We don't get much cold down here normally and I don't have heat in my shop. This year we have been hit by that terribly global warming thing with record cold spells and it makes glue ups difficult. We should be over most of it and time to cruise along.
thanks, bigjim
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
I would love to order another Big jim but the last one cost me two extra prescriptions for my anxiety,when I got the bow it was worth it.Everyone out there when your bow does arrive it will be worth it.Plus just dealing with the little Fella is a treat in it self.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Pandaros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
I didn't know the wait had gotten so long.  I've flirted with ordering one a few times.  I guess I should've swung at the first couple of pitches.  They sure look like awesome bows and Big Jim has an amazing choice of woods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©