3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Neck knife blanks..FINAL PIC page 6  (Read 1915 times)

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Neck knife blanks..FINAL PIC page 6
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Awesome post! Just yesterday I got the itch to make a neck knife from a helle blade.

Made a couple of belt knifes for friends out of the "odel" blade from helle, but they seem too long for a neck knife.
I drilled two holes (tang width) next to each other.
The idea was to not give the tang any room to move. Turned out real difficult though, the drill kept sliding into the first hole and finnaly broke off.   :rolleyes:  

I'll post some pics as soon as I get my hands on a digi-cam.

P.s. Great hint 4nolz...will have to remember that the next time.
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by tippit:
Mickey,  Those Helle blades are hard to beat...but as you say:

Yea I build my gear with my own hands, keep it simple that's the plan, some of you will understand.....
That's just plain cruel Doc, throwing a man's word back at him like that!    :jumper:  

I've taken a liking to neck knives too.  Didn't think I would, but after wearing one around for a few months it's hard to deny they're handy!
Here are a few of mine:
  Mike\\'s
  Keith\\'s  
  Phil\\'s
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
First off....I'll order one of those blades on monday Mike....   Second... Doc the shape and style of that Dall Sheep knife just does it for me,   Sweet!!!

Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
What is toooo small for a neck knife? I like them new Helle blade.<><<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Ferret,
A friend of mine, Bill Nash, used to make knives from steel blanks and he did an AWESOME job at it.  He was so impressed with the Helle knives that he now makes them out of their blanks, mostly.  After he started using them, a bunch of guys in our Trad club started using them.  A 14 year old young man in our club used two longer blanks to make two beautiful knives for friends of ours from England.

I took a Helle polar and had a neck sheath made for it and won't use anything else.  Now, if I can just find some time to start building one or two for myself...
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Jeremy,
Yea but I don't do a fraction of the stuff Mickey does.  Just thought they might like to see some other types of neck knives  ;)  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
Mikey, Mike,

Not being too picky, but just where are these blades manufactured?  I've become a bit sensitive about buying and finding that my money is going to countries that are not exactly our friends.

Lobo in West Virginia
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Lobo, Helle is a Norwegian company.  I'm not sure where their factory is though.

Doc, I'm just messing with ya!  ;)

Helle makes a real nice blade.  That Scandanavian grind had me confused when I first saw it, but I think that was more because the guy had sharpened it like you would any other knife!  He just couldn't figure out why he couldn't get that thing sharp!!     :jumper:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Jeremy,

Norway would be just fine!

Lobo in West Virginia
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline sndmn11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
here are my latest three, two of which are the small blade you have there ferret....wish i would have had the sense to take a picture with the blades cleaned up before i gave them away.  

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
Tippitt
Pleae get in touch with me. I would like to talk to you about making me a sheath.
Steve

[email protected]
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Ferrett -- I hope you can help out here with the blade names (durn fureigners!). I believe it's the same blade you picture that I used for my first Helle knife, with deer antler handle on shortened tang. But unless you grind the antler flat, it's too round and bulky for a neck knife. I gave mine to my wife. Also, that blade is high carbon steel, which is fine if that's what you like. But one of the best things about Helle is the remarkable 3-layer stainless composite blades that sharpen easy and dull hard. So second time around, I ordered a blade about the same size, but stainless and a short tang with notches to give it more adhesion in handle. This time I used osage orange and it's now my favorite blade (of too many!), though too small for elk. For that, I have two Helle "Fire" knives, with handles I could never improve on. Odd thing about Helle is that it has so quickly almost become the "official" knife for trad bowhunters (we can't all make our own from scratch, though I wish I could). It's also the official knife of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, which uses them for various membership promos. Dave

Offline LeeNY @work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Mickey, Thats going to be a nice neck knife. I think that blades going to be my next project.
L. Miller

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Dave2old..this is an Ola-kniven Knivblad #56  which I think translated meany "little knife"? LOL

I couldn't tell you what the material is. I'm not a metal expert, but I am a small knife afficianado ha ha. I can see where flattened sides on the antler tine would be helpful.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
I have a couple of Helle knives I have made.  All I can say is be very careful so you don't loose an appendage.  They come scary sharp.  I wrapped mine in a piece of thin leather and wrapped em with packing tape so I could work on them.  Serves to protect the nice shiny finish and covers up that sharp edge.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by 4nolz:
and save some antler dust from sanding to add to the epoxy to blend it in at the surface.
Excellent idea!!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
Teh Ola-kniven Knivblad #56 is a triple laminated stainless blade and is new for this year.  The smallest before this was the Polar.

Mike

BTW Mickey you ran me outta stock on this blade.  LOL  Next shipment is due on the 18th or so.
Mike Westvang

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
Ferret,
Wingnut owes you a thanks.  Loved your idea and bought three blades for making a neckknife for friends. (I have been trying to figure out what to make for them as they are all better bowyers than I.) This neckknife may become a good way for me to make somehting special for fellow Traditional friends.
John
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
OK here we go..first off I couldn't finsd a piece of antler that suited me. I needed straight for 3 1/2" and the most straight antler i had without cutting up some elk sheds in the garden were only straight for about 2" so I went to my overlay box and found a cool piece of wood. It was big enough for me to cut (2) handle blanks from 3/4" square by 3 1/2" long.

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Next I drilled a 1/4" hole..3 1/4" deep into the handle. The 1/4" hole was a perfect fit for this tang and it snuggly slips right in.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©