3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Hill" style bows...Why all of sudden?  (Read 9163 times)

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Hill" style bows...Why all of sudden?
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Mmmm
I was waiting for this thread to appear.

I own, or have owned most styles and makes of bows but for hunting return to Hill style bows.

Yep,,,they do have more thump at the shot

Yep,,,my choice to use Hill style bows does , to some degree , involve the simple asthetics od the bow

Why would I play play vintage style guitars when I could play the newest carbon 7 string wonder axe ?

Why...Coz that is how I roll ...

I am at my happiest with a back quiver full of woodies and a Long Hill style bow out in the woods.
They just float my boat so to speak...I group better with them and certinly have better hunting success with them, most likely because I have been shooting them for a while .

I also figure that if Rik Hinton hunts with them , they must do something ok ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Maher:

I also figure that if Rik Hinton hunts with them , they must do something ok ...
ooo, you name dropper, you!  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:

I'll shoot the bow I shoot, because it's the easiest, most fogiving bow I've ever shot. To me that's what it's all about as a hunter.

I want to know when the time comes to release an arrow at a critter, I have the best weapon for the job..for me...
Nothing wrong with that. And no surprise coming from someone who has shot only a few longbows a few times, has never owned one, and has shot recurves for many years. :-)

It took "baby steps" for me... first the r/d hybrids, and now the very mild r/d bows. Haven't got there yet with the straight limbed bows, but I'm learning. Nonetheless, I'm just as confident hunting with a longbow today as I was hunting with recurves for over 20 years previously.

My main reason for switching was the super quiet of a d-shape when strung bow... deer have no idea what hit them or where it came from. :-)

I will always have a shorty recurve for turkey hunting because I hunt them using a pop-up blind.

Enjoy your bowhunting, that is the most important part.

- Dave

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
First...because of the name HILL

Second...the workmanship is flawless and Craig has a fairly quick turn around time

Third...In the hands of the right shooter, they are deadly and quiet.

Unfortunately for me, not in my hands. I just can't get used to the Broomstick grip or have to think about my hand placement. However, my 3 buddies who shoot Hill longbows...are deadly with them.

Although there are a few longbows out there I can shoot well because of the grip, I still feel more comfortable shooting my recurves.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWD:
If folks who have never shot one are running out and ordering them, I predict there will be many for sale or trade within the next several months.
Me. I'm just waiting for this to happen...already have my finger on their "Buy It Now" button...

:bigsmyl:  

But I honestly don't think that's gonna happen.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I'm 'ornery and can't resist!   :D

Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Wow! I went to sleep for the night, and wake-up to find that you fellows have sure been busy!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
They are bomb proof and if held right they won't loosen up too many teeth   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ric O'Shay:

Originally posted by BWD:
If folks who have never shot one are running out and ordering them, I predict there will be many for sale or trade within the next several months.
Me. I'm just waiting for this to happen...already have my finger on their "Buy It Now" button...

:bigsmyl:    

But I honestly don't think that's gonna happen. [/b]
Not me Danny, I'll just look and drool...lol

I have a good fix! (at the moment)

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »

I guess because of the grip, "lightness in hand", length, and, to be truthfull...my willingness to work harder at being a good shot...I guess I'll never be a "Hill bow" shooter.

I'll shoot the bow I shoot, because it's the easiest, most fogiving bow I've ever shot. To me that's what it's all about as a hunter.

Guess that's why I've been shooting the same bows for so many years...I'm more into shooting well, than having to work harder at shooting well, or the romance.

By that I mean, I guess I'm not willing to handicap myself, as some of you have put it...

I want to know when the time comes to release an arrow at a critter, I have the best weapon for the job..for me...

I don't shoot much 3d, but when I do I shoot the same bow I shoot when I'm hunting...it's what I'm the best with...
G'day Curt,

I can't and don't disagree with your thinking, because it is a very personal thing; I, too, know that I will generally shoot better, easier, with one of my flash recurves. But I know of two fellows who would say exactly the same things you said, but about Howard Hill longbows: Ben Maher and Rik Hinton. It goes to show that not only are we all different, but for some, the easiest, most-accurate bow to shoot is a Hill. Now, I wish I had exceptional Hill talent like those two, but alas, I have only moderately-good Hill talent.

Cheers,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pinelander:

Nothing wrong with that. And no surprise coming from someone who has shot only a few longbows a few times, has never owned one, and has shot recurves for many years. :-)

Enjoy your bowhunting, that is the most important part.

- Dave [/b]
Oh I've owned two longbows, and killed a bunch of deer and a bear with them.

These were slight R/D longbows made by a local bowyer around here. Good bows, but not the performance of the the Original Silvertip I put up to shoot these two.

After a couple years of shooting these, I hoped there was something "better" out there.

Winter of '96 I went to Joe Skipp's shop and was enlightened about the Kempf Kwyk Styk    :pray:  

So yes I have owned and killed things with longbows....but not "Hill style"
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Then there is the absolute magic in the words of Don Thomas written in "Longbows in the Far North" which absolutely struck a chord with me as a new bowhunter...
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:

I guess because of the grip, "lightness in hand", length, and, to be truthfull...my willingness to work harder at being a good shot...I guess I'll never be a "Hill bow" shooter.

Guess that's why I've been shooting the same bows for so many years...I'm more into shooting well, than having to work harder at shooting well, or the romance.

By that I mean, I guess I'm not willing to handicap myself, as some of you have put it...

I don't shoot much 3d, but when I do I shoot the same bow I shoot when I'm hunting...it's what I'm the best with...
G'day Curt,

I can't and don't disagree with your thinking, because it is a very personal thing; I, too, know that I will generally shoot better, easier, with one of my flash recurves. But I know of two fellows who would say exactly the same things you said, but about Howard Hill longbows: Ben Maher and Rik Hinton. It goes to show that not only are we all different, but for some, the easiest, most-accurate bow to shoot is a Hill. Now, I wish I had exceptional Hill talent like those two, but alas, I have only moderately-good Hill talent.

Cheers,

Ben [/b]
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more bud!
I've shot with some fine, fine hill style bow shooters. Todd and Bryan Hathaway are two that come to mind...Deadly!

With the array of critters that you've layed down with them, I'd say you're more than comfortable with them as well    :notworthy:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
I read that somebody hinted at a design flaw in Hills...

If an old World War One warbird is flawed in design, so is the Hill. But I maintain that both are things of beauty and fun that are also deadly.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Also, There's no doubt in my mind that if I set my mind to it, they wouldn't slow down my "killin'" one bit...

But it would take a total transformation in how I shoot a bow because of how I grip a bow.  
Guess I'm not willing to do that though. And I don't want to have 2 different "styles" of shooting, because for me, I don't feel I can be the best I can be shooting 2 diff. ways(grips, locked/un-locked elbow,etc...)

I'm of the "fear the man with one bow" metality...

Now I know that in my quest for a longbow, I'll be looking for one with a more 'curve style grip.
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Never thought this would be 8 pgs. in less than 12 hrs...good stuff    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Never thought this would be 8 pgs. in less than 12 hrs...good stuff     :thumbsup:  
Regardless of how they shoot, they sure do draw a crowd!!   :archer:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Design flaw in the straight end longbow?

I wonder in anyone ever conducted a focus group  with the French Army survivors after The Battle of Agincourt to discuss this issue?
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Curt, I sent ya a PM.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Yes, it's "the grip" for me too. I have a few longbows that look gawdawful where I've wrapped the grip to fit me and what I want. Can't imagine how they would look if they were Hill style handles. :-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©