3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Hill" style bows...Why all of sudden?  (Read 9161 times)

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Hill" style bows...Why all of sudden?
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I kinda agree with what another member said about the gripping of a Hill style bow. I think folks put too much thought into it, instead of just shooting the thang!
A few years back I bought a Chekmate recurve and after inquiring about them, everyone replied they were a great bow but the grip was too big on them.

It was bigger! I was used to the smallish grip on my Holmes longbow, But after a couple weeks the Chekmate felt just right!

About two years ago I bought a Jerry Hill longbow, and I hated the grip... it just didn't feel like the Chekmate grip that was originally too big.

The other day I traded for an old Kolometz longbow with a Hill style grip. Felt plumb weird compared to the Longriver longbow....
Feels just right now after a good day of shooting.
I also felt a little buzz in my left hand at the shot......... it went away! Where did it go?

I just kept shooting and it went away!

Seriously....

I guess I can't speak for everybody, but I have asked a lot of folks in the past: How long did you have that Hill style bow? Answer: Oh I shot that thing about 5 minutes and my hand was numb and I got rid of it!!
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
I'm of the "fear the man with one bow" metality...

You raise an interesting thought. In Tolstoy's "War and Peace" he states that no two people view truth in the same way. What I'm getting at is that when I first started bowhunting (not that long ago compared to many here), I heard the saying of "Fear the man with one bow", and it made perfect sense to me. And then later on, sometime after joining Trad Gang, I read some of Terry's wisdom, which I can't quote word-for-word, which went something along the lines of getting a few basic form or technique principles down-pat, and no bow should be out of the question. So, to my way of thinking, these are two fairly opposite opinions, and yet for different people, one will be absolutely correct, and the other will be absolutely wrong. And there may be some spectrum in between the two.

If we can combine fun with responsibility to the game we pursue, then it's all good, no matter what personal preferences are.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Also, There's no doubt in my mind that if I set my mind to it, they wouldn't slow down my "killin'" one bit...

But it would take a total transformation in how I shoot a bow because of how I grip a bow.  
Guess I'm not willing to do that though. And I don't want to have 2 different "styles" of shooting, because for me, I don't feel I can be the best I can be shooting 2 diff. ways(grips, locked/un-locked elbow,etc...)

Now I know that in my quest for a longbow, I'll be looking for one with a more 'curve style grip.
curt, this whole thing is just an itch you been wanting to scratch, no more or less.  ya know you hafta just to get it outta yer system and back on the kwyk styk track.  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:

You raise an interesting thought. In Tolstoy's "War and Peace" he states that no two people view truth in the same way. What I'm getting at is that when I first started bowhunting (not that long ago compared to many here), I heard the saying of "Fear the man with one bow", and it made perfect sense to me. And then later on, sometime after joining Trad Gang, I read some of Terry's wisdom, which I can't quote word-for-word, which went something along the lines of getting a few basic form or technique principles down-pat, and no bow should be out of the question. So, to my way of thinking, these are two fairly opposite opinions, and yet for different people, one will be absolutely correct, and the other will be absolutely wrong. And there may be some spectrum in between the two.

If we can combine fun with responsibility to the game we pursue, then it's all good, no matter what personal preferences are. [/b]
well said, ben, well said sir!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Curt a part of the beauty of traditional bows are that they offer an array of different designs to appease the tastes of the shooters.

I respect anyone who tries to match wits with their chosen game with their chosen bow. (Yep even wheelers)

I will say again, for me it's more about how these bows make me feel about myself. I don't have any problems shooting a variety of bow designs. I made a conscience choice to move away from the recurves and r/d bows just because they didn't allow me that feeling.

It's a very personal thing.

I appreciate to great discussion that has transpired here.

You folks are awesome!!! Even more awesome than "Hill" bows....lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
All i know is i grew up shooting recurves, and about ten years ago had the chance to shoot a straight grip hill-style longbow.

There are a few really happy firsts in my life and like my first kiss, and my first Harley, my first shot with a longbow was life-changing...Need i say more?
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »

If we can combine fun with responsibility to the game we pursue, then it's all good, no matter what personal preferences are. [/b]
Funny you mention Terry bud...

He and I have talked about this...after the Solana hunt 2 yrs ago. We went back to the hotelin Austin(we were flying out the next day) and discussed this in length.

I couldn't convince him, and he couldn't me....but we both understood and respected each others opinion. But each worked...
•  

I guess I'm just always afraid if I start shooting a bunch of bows, I won't be as good as I can with any one of them    :dunno:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
I guess I'm just always afraid if I start shooting a bunch of bows, I won't be as good as I can with any one of them [dunno]
Curt, that was the problem I was having over the last few years. So, I settled on my Howard Hills and have 4 of them. I kept one Maddog recurve to have a short bow around. I want to be proficient with one style bow and I shoot the Hills pretty good and they work for me.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Guess I just don't have any desire to change my shooting to fit a bow and have to shoot 55 to 60 lbs to get 50lb proformance.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »

I dont think that I could say it any better than that. WEll done Ben
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
I feel, that like with many things in life it has to feel right for you to like it. I started with longbows and have tried some recurves(they do shoot smooth) and I like longbows better.For me it feels like I am holding weight with my Tembo compared to a curve.But I shoot it extremal well and it's comfortable to me.

Its like driving an old Corvette,you feel the horsepower and it drives and handles a little rougher than a Porsche and doesn't go as fast as one.But it is a classic that get the job done and has great looks.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
I'm not knocking these bows at all guys, I'm sincerly wondering as I'd like to own a one LB and I want the "right one"...

From a K zoo thread...

Originally posted by xtrema312:

Originally posted by Todd Greenwald:
I just got home and will be heading back in the morning. . . All I can say is WOW!!!!
Yep me to.  4:30 - 9. Will be back for more tomorrow.  Have a sore bow elbow from trying too many D shape LB's.  I should know better. [/b]
This is exactly the kind of comment I'm used to hearing.... [/b]
I should have noted in that post that I have a pre-existing bad elbow condition due to heavy wheel bows.  There are hybrid LB’s it doesn’t like.  I also don’t shoot much more than 9-10 gpp arrows.
I can happily report that Brian’s Tall Tine LB is not bad at all on the elbow, shoots really well, and quick for a D bow.  The 45# 64” bow really surprised me the first time I shot it with its speed.  I can say that it was a good think the two 64” bows were 5 or so pounds under and over my preferred draw weight or my bow fun would no longer be intact.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I realized that I was spending way too much time discussing why I like Hill Style bows.

I stopped typing.  I grabbed my HH 85# Half Breed, HH 55# Dual Shelf Robin Hood, 83# Mild RD Pronghorn, and my D Shaped 74# BamaBow.

I spent the next two hours shooting all four bows and had a great time. I must have shot well over 200 arrows.

I spent most of my time going from the 85# HH to the 55# Hill. The Pronghorn is faster and amazingly I was more accurate with my BamaBow (that bow and I get along real well).

But, at the end of the day, the Hill’s were still my favorites.

BTW, after shooting at least 60 arrows thru my 85# HH Half Breed, I was amazed at how easy it was to draw the 55# HH Robin Hood.

Less typing, more shooting!

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Hill bows are just plain fun. No disadvantage to me and quiet as a mouse.

They are more forgiving for me prolly cause of the length and tend to shoot a heavy arrow purty good.I like`m but they ain`t for everybody.You gotta love`m and I do. Hope I got some money when them Hills come up for sale. I`m wanting a Tembo bad..RC

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
We as humans get bored ... First, recurves, than Hybrids {pretty much the same} than still lookin for the ultimate, which "IS" the HH style of L/B's, Yes, lacking in some ways, but Very inspiring in others, It's True Traditional Archery, Bar None ... Harder ? Yes, But isn't that why we do what we do ... It is for me, it's not always about the kill, pictures & glamour ... But the Love of the "True Longbow" ... Heck, who knows whats next for me, Selfbow ?? Oh Yeah !!!

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2011, 03:06:00 AM »
Theres some really good comments and perspectives here,Kudus to all of you .we all have our opinions based on only our own knowledges and experiences.When I started shooting bows about 50 years ago I couldn't afford the luxurys of ownig more than one bow.Since then I honestly think I've owned almost everything.I do believe thru years of shooting i've been blessed to be able to shoot almost any style of bow .I own about 25 bows of all types and shoot them all regularily.When I get a new bow within a few arrows I find it very comfortable.I atribute this to the years I've shot.The hardest bow to master was my 68" Chekmate longbow and I remember shooting 8 arrows at the same gopher,seams I couldn't hit a barn from the inside with that thing.Then one day it just clicked and was like an old friend.Now I just adapt my shooting style to what I'm shooting and it really works for me.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »
Steve Clandinin quote:"Now I just adapt my shooting style to what I'm shooting and it really works for me.".

Hey Steve you and I are in the same boat on this one.

I can move from longbow to recurve, center shot to off the knuckle, 48" sinew backed Pony bow 48@26 to 77" n-t-n Cow horn tipped ELB 80plus lbs @28. The 1st arrow is going to go where it goes, the second arrow generally goes where where I want it.
Sometimes if I say out loud to my self, what I'm shooting,what is different and what to expect, even the 1st arrow might be close to where I want it.
I read somewhere that shooting traditional bows is about 90% mental and the other 10% is mental too...lol

Mastering a bow, any bow isn't all that difficult if you think your way through each shot.

However that only can work for me on the range or stump shooting.

Once I'm in the woods hunting, my shooting it has to have become "second nature" because my thoughts won't be about the bow any longer and I have plenty to think about and enjoy my bow in a whole different way during the hunt.

God bless,Mudd

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
I shot my Shawnee recurve for years and thought I'd never get rid of it. I too was looking for a longbow that I could shoot like my recurve. I bought a Morrison Dakota and shot it just as good(if not better). So my desire went a touch further. I called Jason at HH and wanted to test drive a Hill. I like most on here shot the old Hills and found them to be a little "shockey" for lack of a better term. But Jason told me they do something now(don't even ask me the process) but it takes some of that out of the bow. So he sent me a bow out to test. I was truly impressed. The bow to me was not slow at all. Matter of fact I thought it spit my arrows with authority. After shooting this bow I was surprised at how it just shot where I was looking for the most part.(a little tip weight change would have helped out a touch)It was very stable & smooth. My bud also got in a wes a day after I sent this one back and I could not put it down. So my mind was made up to order one.

The moral of the story is I'm not running out and selling my Dakota any time soon. But these Hills are easier to shoot than people think.IMO So I want to tell others not to make their minds up on others opinions. Try one and make your own.

Curt,you have a PM.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
In today's high tech, complicated world, I think people really want to return to things less complicated; even if only for the recreational time in their lives.  Even the "Traditional" bow is seeing more and more adjustable ILF "imported" equipment come on the market.  New interest in the straight limbed, made in the USA simplicity of the Hill style bow is a vote to return to a more utilitarian and simple way of life in my view.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Mike,you are so right,over the years I got rid of alot of bows because I didn't give them an honest chance,No More.
Quoted by Mudd," Once I'm in the woods hunting,my shooting it has to become"Second Nature" because my thoughts won't be about the bow any longer and I have plenty to think about and enjoy my bow in a whole differant way during the hunt"
This has to be one of the truest statements I've ever read.People read this,then read it again.Totally sums up why we do what we do.
For someone just starting alot don't realize the hours of practice it takes to be efficient.The main thing,as I discussed one time with G.Fred was the repetative practice of proper form so all becomes habit and second nature while shooting,especially in hunting situations.I found the simpler a bow looks,the harder it was to shoot,hence the HH longbow.Can you imagine over the years how many arrows Howard Hill shot? Probably Eleventy-Nine Zillion!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©