3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Hill" style bows...Why all of sudden?  (Read 9165 times)

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Hill" style bows...Why all of sudden?
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Not to sound elitist or snobby, but if you shoot one, and you don't get it...they aren't for you. I would be lying if I said they do not have more shock then an R/D. They do...no question. However, while I've shot some that do, not all of them hurt. I wouldn't own Ds if they did.

I agree that the trick is a heavy arrow. If you are of the breed that likes a heavy wood arrow, and knows not to white knuckle or stiff-arm them...they are a joy to shoot. Plus, they are extremely quiet hunting bows if you buy a good one.

However, I've also noticed the Hill resurgence on here and I think there are a lot of folks who will go right back to what they shot before.

I've also noticed that people who try Ds try to increase their poundage to make up for the loss of speed. I think this is dumb. It doesn't work that way and not all Ds are slow.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Its just like deer hunting some people like the challenge of hunting mature animals and some like to shoot dinks.I will be trying a self bow again soon I like the challenge!!!!!!!!Amen spankey
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
and some folks like deer hunting with rifles and others with ... stick bows!  :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
They're about as "Traditional" as can be, makes things "Harder" and that's "Self Fullfilling" for me anyway ... What "Traditional" Archery's All About in my Book !!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Yeah Curt they're not gonna fit your style.  For me its just the opposite.  I like to grab the bow and shove it out.  I've always liked shooting that way.  Low wrist grips fit my style.  I don't care for recurves except the 50's style because I don't like big risers, high wrist shooting, and pistol grips.  Shoot most recurves with some heel down and they become pretty unstable.  It would be just as easy for me to say I don't want to go through all that high, straight wrist, two finger wrap light grip stuff to shoot a recurve.  I just want to grab it and shoot it.  It really just comes down to what you like and what fits your style.  What some consider a design flaw, others find joy in.  The Jeep has changed a lot over the years.  They sure are smoother, and a lot more comfy,and a lot of different types of people buy them.  But do they function better for their original purpose...  I think not.    ;)
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Some models that I build have very little felt recoil.  The straighter profile ones have more.  all Hill style bows will have some shock.  Some more than others.  I prefer to call it a pleasent "thump", and it's not objectionable to me.  The only down side to hunting with this style bow is that they don't do well with bow quivers.  I absolutely hate carrying a quiver along with a back pack.  That's why I hunt with other models mostly now, but I still love the straight ones.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
There like tattoos...there not for everyone and some people don't understand how you can ever get one...but they don't have a design flaw just a different design, I think it just comes down to that old T-shirt saying of  "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand"
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Hill and Hill-style bows are d-bows.... aren't they? From what I've experienced, some of the mild r/d longbows can have just as much or more shock than the some of the straight-limbed bows.

Just about any d-bow (regardless of category) will exhibit less shock with a low-stretch string compared to dacron. That was the only point I was trying to make.

I also think that many stickbow hunters who have switched to d-bows are doing so because they are much quieter than a recurve.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Montauks:
There like tattoos...there not for everyone and some people don't understand how you can ever get one...but they don't have a design flaw just a different design, I think it just comes down to that old T-shirt saying of  "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand"
very well put, gene.  :thumbsup:

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Well, as with any topic on tradgang, we all have our opinions, our likes, dislikes.... We will all try to explain away why it should be this way or that way. Hill bows are a classic, I think that is pretty much undisputed, as are Bears and others. There have been many threads here that prove we are mastering our weapons and taking game. We are having fun out shooting with friends and family, making memories. Yes, if I feel I own a piece of crap I would send it back. But one man's crap is another man's treasure. Let's continue to disagree, that's what I love about this site.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
I dont really get the loosening my fillings,hand shock deal on Hill bows or for the most part any other flat grip,straight limbed longbows,Craig from HH makes as sweet a shooting longbow as youll find from my experience,Id bet money Steve Turray does as well.

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
The first Hill bow I shot was back in 85.I was shooting my Zipper recurve then and that 85# Hill had my knees knocking when I shot it.In the last 7 yrs. I have had no less then 30 of them and there will always be a half doz. hanging on my wall.But then again there are some Shrews hanging on my wall as well.2 different styles of bows and after a few minutes shooting I can shoot either one.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Maybe with advent of the ILF/bowyer conglomerate thing going, the hills style brings back the old ways.  I have noticed the shorter/lighter faster/gadget trends lately (just like the 60s/70s) and have predicted the longer heavier hill style return for a awhile (80s)

Mike
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by michaelschwister:
Maybe with advent of the ILF/bowyer conglomerate thing going, the hills style brings back the old ways.  I have noticed the shorter/lighter faster/gadget trends lately (just like the 60s/70s) and have predicted the longer heavier hill style return for a awhile (80s)

Mike
a valid, reflective point well taken!

Offline Bernd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Those Hill-Style bows do have a classic look. They just feel plain and simple. I know the Howard Hill films and really appreciate the easy looking way he shoots them. So I still feel fascinated by the D-shaped bows. But  I just can't shoot them. I never seemed to get a constant grip on them, nor get a clean release nor could hold a quiet follow through because my bowhand was so shaking. I tried a tembo, a Belcher "union jack" and several german types. Tried to squeeze the juice out of them (G.F. Asbell recommended that) and tried to hold them light as a feather. No chance grouping my arrows. But I still love the look of them and would definitely like to own one. Because of ... many reasons I can't explain in a rational way.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
My first longbow was a Hill style but at 50# I didn't notice any handshock. I bumped up to 70# a few years later and still didn't feel it was uncomfortable or unmanageable. I think the key lies in your form and keeping your elbow bent and holding the bow with the intent of stabilizing it with your hand or getting into the handle like you are a part of the handle. It is definitely a different feel, but in some ways more of a feeling of the bow. With the longer bow lengths finger stacking is never a concern. There is nothing like releasing the arrow and feeling the bow let it go with authority. I like my R/D Longbows also but will always have room for the Hill Style bows.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
To me it is a simple answer.

You either love them or hate them.

At first I could not understand why anyone would want to shoot this old technology style bow.

But, I fell in love with the mystique of the Uber Trad Hill Style Bow. So, I practiced. Now, I absolutely love the look, feel, shoot-ablilty, of my Hill Style bows.  They are like a 67 Corvette fast back. Classic!

Nope, they ain't the fastest but once you get the hang of them, they are super accurate, super quiet, and freaking cool.

I have taken many a bow to a 3 D shoot but the one everyone takes a look at is the Hill Style.

Especially, my Howard Hill bows.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Another thing I don't "get"...

There have been all kinds of claims I've read in the past about these type bow the "most forgiving to shoot", yet a bunch of you here are talking about "more challange"...

I know I'm very spoiled by my KS 'curves because to me, compared to them, about every other bow I've ever shot has a "thump".  But some way more than others...

After all I've read, I also see  a lot of shooters ending up going back to what they shoot better... and getting away from the "romance"...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
ah, yeoman hawkin! and there ye stand, with stave in hand and feathered pouch at thy side, and ye jest about thy long stick and string! blasphemy i say, blasphemy!!!! heretic!!!!!
LOL...Of course, I offered no personal opinion about HH bows at all Rob.  I merely agreed to noticing a major increase in related threads lately.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Rob did not say it in this Thread ,But I listen to him often when he speaks and the one thing that he said about other bows and it does fit with this one

"It's not about the bow ,It is about the arrow that is tuned to the bow"

And if we think about how much the arrow makes up the difference for the bow,It's easy to understand .

And I also heard someone say

"Have you purchased an ugly car lately "

And that would fit as well, the bow and the arrow are a team,They works together not against each other .

I think experience speaks well and Rob has a lot of it.

I appreciate his wisdom

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©