3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fleece or wool? Which is most quiet?  (Read 544 times)

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Fleece or wool? Which is most quiet?
« on: June 08, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I have to buy either fleece or wool trying to become silent when stalking. I will be moving all the time so I don't need super cold weather gear. Any advice will be appreciated.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fleece or wool? Which is most quiet?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
i wear fleece because it does not get that cold "down south"..  :bigsmyl:  .......i have a few wool hunting clothes just never get to wear them  :(  unless i get back up to Maine

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
I like fleece.Sheds water pretty well to.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Wool is the best. I have both but wool beats everything hands down.It can be worn in all kinds of conditions,sheds water and keeps you dry when wet and it won't burn.You can buy stuff cheap at a surplus store if you can find them . Good luck

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
My personal pref. is wool.  A thin wool pant would work for stalking with out getting too hot. You can get them from army surplus for10-12 dollars.I would say wool and fleece are both as quiet as you can get.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
Wool is more durable in my experience and more wind resistent. I have fleece for early season, but by mid season it is usually cold enough that wool rules.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
The wool is great for keeping heat in even when wet. take it from an Oregonian, a very soggy one at times....The heavy wool pants you get at the surplus store work great if you are tree stand hunting, or not moving around much...the get really heavy when they soak up water....my favorite combo in 40 to 50 degrees and rain is long johnsor sewat pants, with a gortex shell rain gear over that, then the fleese pants. the layers allow your legs breathing room, you stay dry & fairly warm while stalking....if it gets too warm peel a layer off....i love wearing a thin wool shirt under my fleese with no rain jacket at all...the trick is getting it big enough to move around in...as long as you stay active and don't sit too long in the rain, you'll stay warm...wet....but warm...

you cannot beat fleese for being light weight and silent, but it does soak up water eventually and doesn't keep your body heat in like wool does. the only down side to fleese  that i've found is that it catches burrs really bad...

the other option out there you should check out is "Saddle Cloth" it's a little spendy, but comes in a bunch of different cammo patterns, is very quiet, and wears like iron...i've got some fleese and saddle cloth both i've used for 15 years now...the saddle cloth day packs hold up VERY well....hope this helps....Kirk

Offline Tree Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
I like both, but prefer wool because of the weather conditions here.  Fleece comes in more patterns, but it has a tendence to load up with snow behind my knees and I'm afraid that it might cause one of my knees to blow out if I make the wrong move on a hillside.  Wool is definately better in the rain and light snow conditions.  I don't think you will be able to tell the difference between the two for quietness, their both good.

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
I use both, but a good wool sweater is hard to beat.      I find fleece pants offer me a bit more freedom of movement and more comfort.  As already stated, both are very quiet.  Unless your hunting in wet weather (wool is best) I believe it is a matter of personal preference.
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Way too hot for wool if you are moving at all around here.A cotton tee shirt works fine.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
wool is good real quiet
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
Have both. I like wool better.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
IMO they are both very quiet. if it gets cold i like my wool but for most of bow season around here i'm fine with fleece with an under layer. before i bought my wool pants i wore sweat pants under my fleece and even on pretty chilly days, 30-40 degrees i could stay warm sitting in my tree stand.

wool is more durable
fleece dries really quick
they both pick up burrs
fleece is less expensive
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
waho has the deciding factor for me-fleece burns or more correctly stated melts-Wool doesn't.  if you are afield in the cold and someetimes build or work fires, wool might be better.  Fleece has it uses as an underlayer and outer when not near a fire.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Mooseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
Fleece when it is warm and wool when cold. But I actually keep sticking to fleece even when it is cold.
Smile when hunting !

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
Another vote for wool.  My Gray Wolf and KOM wool are the quietest garments I own...warm and breateable to boot!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
I own and use lots of both but when it gets really cold, nothing beats wool, IMHO
Frank
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©