3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: low, medium or high grip? Be honest!  (Read 803 times)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
low, medium or high grip? Be honest!
« on: January 29, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Here's a topic for you guys to ponder. Many have personal opinions on what grip is the best for them on a bow riser grip.. But my question is:  how many have shot all three, compared ,and come up with an educated choice? Many just speak up on what they have shot only...without actual experience on the others.
For me, a high grip destroys all others. I've tried all three desperately But I know I am in a very small group who may agree.  It may be my Olympic FITA style background, or that I can't shoot a longbow accurately to save my life.
My finding is that a loose grip, usually backed up by a finger or wrist sling to keep the bow from falling forward upon release, with an almost horizontal hand and high grip/palm swell to keep the hand in place, eliminates most bow torque, poor release problems.
But again, I'm a recurve guy, who shoots 64" and up hunting bows. Not exactly normal, I know.
 Have you low grip/ longbow, 50's style recurve guys ever shot a high grip with an open mind to see if you can improve your technique?
 In an ever going quest to improve, I am willing to try and compare others techniques to my own to look for improvement. So far, I don't know how you low grip guys do it consistantly. Show me the way!
David M. Conroy

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: low, medium or high grip? Be honest!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
For a curve I like a medium grip as a real high wrist is very uncomfortable for me.  On a longbow I like a low grip with a little locator 'cause its easier to put the Heel in the grip needed to make the bow behave.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
I have shot all 3. I feel like "Goldylocks" this
ones to hot,this ones to cold,this ones just right. high grip = pushed my hand into the throat
of the bow,contacting fletchings on release. low
grip = not enough to hold onto,to small,and I
don't care for it's appearance. medium = best of
both worlds,comfort and looks good.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Have used all different grips mentioned... I end up using whatever grip the bow needs me to use to shoot it consistently. I liken it to shaking hands... you never shake everyone's hand the same way... some guys have a death grip some are very nonchalant and some are firm but not vice like... jeez do I complicate things.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I have used all three.  My choice is low wrist.

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Online shoes

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I like a standard widow grip. Which is a med.I beleive alot has to do with ones style of shooting and anatomy.
Dreams are made taller than we are.  Never stop reaching!
WTA member

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
I prefer high wrist
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Had a Dalaa with all three grips.

The high grip has been my most accurate grip and has been the same findings on several other bows. Having said that -I noticeably don't enjoy the shot near as much and fatique quite faster. The high grip also had it's draw backs for me when hunting from a stand.

I noticed quickly that Medium grips, as well as other grip types may vary between bowyers. The Dalaa medium grip was still too high for me.

My favorite for shooting pleasure is a straight grip however I personally shoot it the worst.

I lean heavily towards a Medium-low grip ~30 deg where i can still comfortably exert some forward pressure.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I have honestly used all three, and like all three. I feel it depends on the bow and the situation.
Honestly, my skills ain't so good as most folks. I shoot all three styles just as bad as the other! LOL!

But being poor causes one to have to learn to shoot what ya got. Which is my case. I've shot the Hoyt Pro Vantage type risers with the super high wrist grip, and strait grip Hill risers ad all in between. I guess I like whatever grip I'm currently using the best, and can honestly say I shoot neither one better. But the really high wrist grips do feel better to me.....
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Buckhorn3380

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
I prefer medium

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I like a high grip.  

But I shoot all three.

Sometimes a really light recurve is fun and entertaining - and that will likely have a low grip to save weight.  High grips tend to be heavy bows; and heavy bows seem more accurate to me.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
I prefer a low grip whether its a longbow or recurve,they just fit me better.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
low
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
high
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Having shot all three, and realizing that each bow is different, I shoot a "medium" grip the best. And I seem to enjoy most what I shoot best.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
I've always shot a medium grip. That's what I started out with and I shoot very good with this grip. With that said, I never had the desire to try a low or high wrist grip. Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
I like a Med to High grip and I like to "Grip" the bow pretty firmly so I wrap rawhide lace aroud a Med grip to get a "higher/fuller" feel and the bow doesnt slide in my hand. My thumb and forefinger on the top wrap makes it a great "locator" grip also. Here is a Roseoak, Predator, and Palmer.

Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
I shoot all three.  Really doesn't make much difference. Pretty easy to adjust.  I mostly shoot longbows and my preference on them is low wrist.  Most recurves are medium or high wrist. They tend to force a more deliberate style of shooting.  Good for targets, not as good for hunting, IMO.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
What Friend said!

I too find that I'm quite accurate with a high wrist but don't enjoy shooting that way. I can maintain back tension better and have better arm/clothing clearance with a medium/low grip. I also have a tendancy to allow my shoulder to roll in more with a high wrist....(not good)...but again, tend to shoot well. In a nutshell, I guess I like to shoot what feels good! Medium/low for me!

Offline Steven_CO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
I like med to high.  Could be because of the shape of the grip though.
Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©