3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: low, medium or high grip? Be honest!  (Read 802 times)

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: low, medium or high grip? Be honest!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
I like a low wrist with a sling. I think it's the most consistent and stable grip. The high wrist is my least favorite as it seems twitchy to me.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I let the bow tell me what grip it wants. Medium or low usually works for me.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
I think it depends on the person and the bone structure in their hand and wrist.  Whatever is comfortable for you and puts the back or what I call "spine" of the grip pushing directly into the heal of your hand.  Solid with little torque. I think the better grips tend to have a flatter back/spine to them.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Here is my HONEST opinion. Now I do NOT expect others to agree with me and on this issue I some times keep my mouth shut, because I am NOT interested in offending others. But, you asked...so I will say my honest opinion.

If one has a hard time controlling their bow arm/bow hand...then I think it is best to use an open grip and high wrist to minimize contact with the bow (only a pressure fulcrum point)...and allowing the bow to do its own thing upon release.

If one has good control of their bow arm/bow hand, then I think it is best to use a low wrist and best to hold the bow as one would hold a suit case (as Howard Hill recommends). This allows one to stay strong as a low wrist is a stronger position (using more primary muscle groups and fewer secondary and tertiary muscle groups), and allows one to pull a hunting weight bow repeatedly getting as tired after a day of shooting as one would get with a high wrist. If you were going to do one arm push ups, you wouldn't use a straight wrist for this reason.

I have also found that if you like to wrap your thumb around the side of the bow and with the palm on the belly of the grip, one is more likely to torque the bow and therefor may be better served with the high wrist and minimal contact. If however one is comfortable with the "suitcase grip" and their palm is more to the side (with the back of the hand more in line with the back of the forearm (not perfectly but close), then they are less likely to torque the bow with their hand which helps steady the bow and bow arm.

So, when selecting the right grip for a given archer, I think it is wisest for an archer to be honest with what level of control they have on their bow arm.

My reservations about this is because I don't like to tell people that prefer the high wrist that they typically lack bow arm control.

One exception I would say is VERY LIGHT WEIGHT BOWS. With light weight bows it may be best to shoot with a high wrist because they are generally more sensitive and easier to torque.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Medium to High works best for me.  I shot low with wheels, but was using sights.  To me, when shooting my recurve I tend to "point" at the target with my bow arm (forearm) using a medium to high grip; so I'm more accurate.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©