3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the educational clicker and hunting usage...  (Read 624 times)

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
the educational clicker and hunting usage...
« on: January 29, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
well, after battling my anchor point for years, i invested in a clickety click.  boy has that been an educational experience!!  didnt realize how inconsistant i was, but im sure thats why ive had so many "bad" shooting days.

my question is, how many of you use one for hunting?  i read in TB the article on em a couple months back, and the author muted it by putting tape around it. great idea, but feeling it, the feel is so subtle im not sure id feel it if i didnt hear something??  so how do those of you that shoot em do it?  anyone used one just on targets and got consistant enough that they arent that big of deal?  really, some days i shoot very well (without the clicker) but some days its just a mystery...
is it September yet??

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the educational clicker and hunting usage...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I never used one but I know there are topics about them in the shooters forum.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
You will feel it if you get used to shooting with it. I had to use one for a little while as well.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
hoping i get past it too randy, but i guess if it helps i can deal with it.  didnt know how bad i was, but the first time i used it it felt like it was varying from going off WAYYY short to never going off no matter how far i pulled, and of course it was in the same place lol.  great tool, just hoping if i end up using it for hunting i can mute it and be good to go...
is it September yet??

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
You can put mole skin on bot sides of the clicker that will mute it a lot.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
I've used one for a couple of years... I use velcro on the spring steel... mostly just a feel  in the bow when it clicks now...

Talk about eye opening... how much heavy clothes made a difference in when you think you're  at anchor...  oh boy... it sure tells the truth whether you want to know or not ;-)

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Longbow1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I've used a clicker for 5 yrs. Two Blacktail Bucks And a 6ft.Black Bear. For me they work great!
I've heard it said that Christianity is a crutch.  To me, it's a walking stick to use on the path of life.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Larry D. Jones has used one for something like 20 years. I asked him if it makes any difference and he said, it has never spooked game.

I am thinking about puting one on myself.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
It took me quite a while of shooting with a clicker before I got to the point where I could shoot it by feel. Give it time; it will come.

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
You will feel it or hear it way more than game will.  Will sound like a firecracker to you in the field but the game won't even notice.
You get to keep what you kill.  If it were easy there would be no value in it.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Mine makes no noise.  It has been a tremendous tool.  It does NOT solve target panic, but it has made me a very consistent shooter. Even with a few weeks off, I pick up the bow and have it dialed in in one or two practice sessions.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I've used one on and off for 23 years. It has never spooked game for me but I too quiet it down for hunting purposes. When hunting I sometimes make it "click" and sometimes don't. Either way (click or not) it has helped me reach full draw for proper arrow flight and penetration. I set it just a hair beyond full draw so if I don't have time to make it "click" that at least I'm already there. (eg. a slow walking animal at close range)

I think it's key to not allow it to control you so much that you don't release in hunting circumstances if it doesn't "click". Also, not let it control you to the point that you just release if you "click" too soon. For those without target panic simply using it as a draw check reference is a great idea. Draw back until you feel it click, don't release but instead continue to shot sequence at that point. For those with TP, it's a great tool to allow you to enjoy shooting again......Ryan

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
When I used a clicker I would put mole skin on it. I would add or remove it until I got a very quiet click. I never had any animals hear it while hunting. I tried it by feel but soft click was best for me...Greg

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
I put a piece of tape on the back side of the spring steel clicker. use more or less to adjust the sound level of the click. I have killed a bear and buck with the clicker on so far without trouble.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
I don't use a clicker but I use the same principal. I get to anchor and pull until the cock feather hits my nose and release...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
I put moleskin on it as well. Still hear the click, but like Ryan in hunting, it makes me get to full draw, even if it doesn't click. Put the fun back into shooting.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
Which one is the best? Crick-it or clickty click?
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
after an influenza  I had big problems with constantly draw, anchor and pull through.
Got that clicker from 3rivers. I use it now for some weeks. Man, thats great stuff, real good training for the back muscles AND the brain!
Now I´ve got back the control for my shot and release.
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
I have used both the crik-it and clicky click. There is not much difference in either one, both work well.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
I have been shooting with one for a few years now and it has definately improved my shooting tremendously.   I take the tang and bend the top part where it mounts..almost make a 90 degree bend right to the top of the tang.  I also take pliers and squeeze the tang itself.  It takes time to get it all just right, but most can't hear mine when they are standing by me.  It has a faint " click".  Im sure tape would be easier, but this has the sound and feel I like.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©