3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Sporterized" my Martin Take Down, anybody else own one?  (Read 431 times)

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
"Sporterized" my Martin Take Down, anybody else own one?
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
It was 1986 and Gene Wensel was extolling the virtues of hunting with a recurve in prose and seminars, so I decided to get me one. Took my Martin Warthog down to the Bear dealer where I had purchased my first bow in '68 and traded it in on a Martin Take Down recurve, had the same Warthog B riser as the compound, just recurve limbs.

I never did try to shoot it instinctively, set it up like a compound;Hoyt Pro rest,Berger button, sights, sling and even a stabilizer  :knothead:   Hunted with it a couple years, even shot my only tournament with it the summer of '87,( 12th out of 120 shooters, the only stick, rest were shooting compounds.) Here's a pic of the first buck  

Then in '88 I went back to the dark side.

Recieved Asbell's  Instinctive Shooting for Christmas of '99 and made my year 2000 resolution to learn how to shoot my recurve without all the stuff on it and go out and hunt that way.

This is were things get a little fuzzy. I wanted to shoot off the shelf.But I think the shelf was sloped down and out and wouldn't hold an arrow. So, I carefully took my Sawzall to it, flattened the shelf out, then glued and screwed a layer of luan plywood to that to raise the shelf up to the level of the plunger hole, because I thought that's were it HAD to be. Man, it was ugly.

I didn't have much time to hunt that fall, didn't kill anything, missed a doe I think.

G. Fred's a big advocate of having the arrow down on the bow hand, this thing was like an inch above. Out comes the Sawzall again. Off goes the shelf. And then I decided that sweet looking and shooting used Wes Wallace longbow on the rack at the local Trad shop was calling my name. The MTD went on the rack and hung there for 10 years.

A couple weeks ago I decided to see if I couldn't make her right. Some of you guys joke about BW's being plywood bows, well this thing was like a 2x6 bow, very thick and heavy. First I radiased the shelf. Then, because it was 3/4 of an inch wide, I ground her down to 3/8ths. When I had originally cut it down, I went too far, so I raised her back up with a heavy piece of tooling leather.

Where the limbs attach to the riser it was 1 3/4 inches wide and I thought, "What the heck", I can always use her for kindling. So I took her to the belt sander and took 1/8th off each side of the riser and the limbs. Then I had to taper the limbs out to the tips.

Sanded her smooth, put a coin in the plunger hole, rubbed in a few coats of poly, soft leather sideplate, calf hair on the shelf. Like a dummy, I never took any before pics, or weighed it, or scaled it for draw weight, or checked it's tiller.(Once I get something rollin...)

Shoots good, no speed demon.

Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Online jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Sporterized" my Martin Take Down, anybody else own one?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Looks like you did a nice job.  I just put mine up for sale on stickbow if you want to sporterize another one. The hatfield is a great bow.  I think the large riser turns many people off, but that one reason it shoots so well.  jim
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Man as many times as you wacked and hacked and sawed on that dude it sure looks nice. very nice job
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online shoes

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
I remember the old Warthog compound. That looks very nice! Much cleaner lines than the original. Enjoy
Dreams are made taller than we are.  Never stop reaching!
WTA member

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
For sure very personal,not a bad job too.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I also had one just like that!  I did the same thing with the shelf.  I had a set of 55# and 65# limbs for it.  Neat old bows.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Hey Jim, I forgot to mention that I think this bow is the predecesor to the Hatfield. I'd like to do a side by side comparison. Here's a pic of the writing, do the Hatfields have MTD on em?(L stand for limb?) WH must stand for Wart Hog, don't know what the D is, I thought it was a B handle, the A's were laminated maple I believe.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
ttt

Online jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
I purchased mine in fall of 1991 and just like you Gene Wensel's writings and seminars were a big influence in going back to a recurve.  The upper and lower limbs have #1720 on the belly.  On the riser under the stabilizer bushing is MHTD 1670.  The  only other markings are the weight and draw weight marked on each limb.
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
Doesn't look bad at all!    :thumbsup:  

So, I carefully took my Sawzall to it . . .  
:biglaugh:    Usually mutually exclusive terms.

That's like: "Dremel - providing work for gunsmiths since 1952."

The wood looks a little thin at the shelf but that could be the picture angle.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Jimbow39

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
I think yours is the "A" handle. The Warthog "B" handle was the laminated one.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Still have mine purchased in the mid to early 80"s.  Two sets of limbs 74 lbs at 28 and 60 lbs at 28.  Have toyed with doing the same thing as you but never had the nerve.  Maybe now.........

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
I bought a Hatfield the first year they came out.   I did not like how bulky and overbuilt it was.  I used two part epoxy to reshape a high pistal grip and shaved alot of the weight and bulk down.  I have to send it back to the factory for some reason.  The limbs were maked backwards?  I got a phone call from someone at the factory named Glen I believe.  He ask me all kinds of questions about the handle and how it shot that light. I have customized two others the same way. If you do it, you will wonder how you have ever shot a stock bow.
capt eddie

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
I bought a Hatfield the first year they came out.
What year was that? I started this thread because I have never seen another one at shoots or hear anyone talking about one on this forum. I think if Martin/Howatt were to shave about 6 ounces off them they might be more popular.

Offline swampsSonny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
My first trad bow was a Hatfield and I took my first trad deer with it a long time ago with a wood chuck being my first critter.

I also altered the grip to move my hand up towards the shelf and make it fit my hand a little better.Probably ruined it as far as value goes but I've still got that bow and use it for bow fishing now.Only killed 2 deer with her before I got a longbow and left her set up as my dedicated fishing bow but it always shot well for me.I'd hafta look to see when I got it but 80's seems to ring a bell
shoot straight and have FUN!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©