3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: American Leathers Big Shot Glove  (Read 728 times)

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
American Leathers Big Shot Glove
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Big thank you out to John Turner of American Leathers. I ordered big shot gloves for my son and I. I did a search on here first and it was recommended to send a hand tracing in. I did for us and John called and advised that he knew what size my son needed, but I was in between sizes. He sent me both sizes to try and to return the one I didn't need. Got the gloves in and they were awesome. Took us very little time to get used to them.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: American Leathers Big Shot Glove
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
John's a great guy and builds an awesome product! I love the new crossover glove shooting my Hill bows! He and his products are highly recommended in my book!

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
I just bought a new one made of Buffalo at kzoo.  I do wish they would bring back the original Slick Shot.  It was a little more sleek and I really loved the that style.  Great gloves that last and last.  Money well spent.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
I've been shooting the same one for over 2 years, still in great shape! Can't go wrong with the big shot! Jason

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I got to meet John at K-zoo Friday night, great guy with excellent service. Both of my buddies bought gloves from him. I already own two, I should have bought another, guess I will be giving him a call.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
I love mine.  They are a great product.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline free2bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I've been using one a lot for several years and it is going strong,,,,

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
great gloves!
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Best glove on the market, I stopped by his booth and talked to John too a KaZoo he is a great guy! I hope he makes some more gloves with the reverse stalls, with the smooth leather on the outside!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
You guys have good luck buying from vendors and getting a good fit? Or is it best to buy direct with a hand tracing. Mine come apart today,3 yrs. old,it was marked a med. and I'm wanting to get another. Not sure if a med from a vendor will fit the same. Bought this one from 3Rivers.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
They do make great gloves.  I bought one from a buddy and after a while of shooting I wanted the finger stalls replaced because they were loose, and lengthened a bit.  I emailed them and asked them how I go about getting it done and asked how much it would cost and so forth.  I got a response telling me they didn't do that sort of thing.  The glove was in pretty good shape, the finger stalls were just too loose for my fingers.  I didn't expect or want them to do it for nothing, I know they have to make money to keep the doors open.

After 4 or 5 messages back and forth, they just were not interested in doing it.  They said they weren't "set up" to do such work.  They told me the only thing they could do was have me trace my hand and make me a new glove.....for about $75 give or take a few bucks.

I thanked him for his time and left it at that.  They make a great glove, no question about it, but if you want anything done to it AFTER you buy it, I don't think you are going to get it.  Best buy it the way you want it from the beginning.

Nalajr

Offline Cal bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Best glove I have ever used. If or when this ones dies I will not hesitate to order a new one.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Trace your hand and buy it that way.

Nalajr

Offline rollin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
I went with the size of leather work gloves I usually use for work. This turned out to be a perfect fit after broken in.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nala:
I wanted the finger stalls replaced because they were loose, and lengthened a bit.

I got a response telling me they didn't do that sort of thing.  

Nalajr
I have two Big Shots and had a loose stall on my index finger on both gloves.  I just ran a new row of stitching on the stall side away from the nock.  Tightened and custom fit.

Doing a stall lengthening would require taking the stalls off of the glove to add new ones.  The new ones would likely require hand stitching to hit original holes in the glove.  The new stalls because of custom length and narrower would need to be hand cut instead of die cut like standard parts.  All of that takes time and thus the cost.

It is easy to stitch the stalls tighter or have a leather shop do it.  Custom made may be required for some hands.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
When I get my elk ones I like them so tight I can hardly get them on my fingers.  Then with a little use it streches to a perfect fit.  If it is easy to get on new it will be to loose in a short time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Good product !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Al Dean:
When I get my elk ones I like them so tight I can hardly get them on my fingers.  Then with a little use it streches to a perfect fit.  If it is easy to get on new it will be to loose in a short time.
+1 for me. One thing I would highly recommend though, if funds allow, is go with the Buffalo rather than the Elk. I've been through a few Elk skin Big Shots in the past few years, none have worn out, but they seem to keep on stretching until the stalls are loose.
Once I switched to Buffalo, the problem went away. Now I can puton my glove first thing in the morning & it's a tight fit, by the end of the day it's a little loose, but not enough to affect my shooting. Put it on the next day & it's tight again! The Buffalo leath is just as thin & soft as the Elk, but it's much more elastic. Defintely worth the extra!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I just got the Buffalo, it has longer stalls than the originals that I got years ago from James Schulz, which is just what I needed.  I have been using these since James started years ago. I don't think I can shoot with anything else. I have purchased two from them in the past 6 months, the quality and the service is great.  There was a bow tip protector with my buffalo, it fits my latest bow perfectly. Now I think I need them on all my bows.
After years of shooting with a dried up old gnarly cheap glove, my wife who always said "i don't shoot enough to have anything that fancy", agreed to let me me get her an American Leathers. I kept telling her that they are way better.  She went out and shot two arrows with her new glove,  The things she called me are not repeatable.  She had no idea how much better, "better" could be and was mad that she hung on to her old glove for so many years.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Don't feel bad pavan, my wife would blame me for that also !

Hey robtattoo, do all of the Trad. shooters down there have fingers that are larger in the morning and smaller in the evening ?    :biglaugh:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©