3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkeys without blinds  (Read 497 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkeys without blinds
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Does anyone hunt turkeys without the use of commercial blind?
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkeys without blinds
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
I don't usually but I have done it before and taken birds. It can be done and I'm sure many guys will jump in. If I'm without a commercial blind I like to hunt with a buddy. I'll set up about 50yds in front of the caller, in between the birds and him. I'll set up in a brush pile or behind a big tree... my favorite is sitting alongside a stone wall next to an opening in it. As the birds pass by me they are focused on the caller and i can draw and shoot just after they pass by me. If alone I'll find a good natural blind and set up a lone hen decoy, as the tom starts to strut, I'll draw and shoot when his head is blocked by his tail feathers.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
I can't kill one with a blind.LCH

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
I'm with LCH on this one.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
from what i know. the ghillie is very usefull. im buildin one right now. . . . .
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I made my ghillie back in the early 80's.My friend got the first ones to come on the market.But these were heavy burlap made mine from camo neting and a dip net. The hole thing fit into a camo pants leg and only weighted 3 pounds. Hunted with mine on every hunt turkeys and deer ever sence. Never owned a blind. You need to be mobile to gobbler hunt. I've never had any trouble shooting right of the ground turkey hunting.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
I have succesfully taken a turkey without the use of a blind.  I heard him coming thru the leaves, and just stuck my back up against a tree while standing.  I hd my arrow nocked, and just waited for the opportunity present itself.  When he came into the open at a mear 17 feet, I pulled up, hit anchor and released.  I honestly don't even remember the shot.  It felt right from the instant my fingers brought tension to the string.  I watched the turkey try to fly away with my shaft sticking out of him.  I followed close behind, and when he got caught up, I finished him off.  

I would try that tactic again if the opportunity presented itself.  I hate sitting and waiting for anything, if I could be moving around instead.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
I was able to kill my one and only turkey without a blind.  However I do have one should the weather be wet or chilly.  It's amazing how comfortable those things can become.  It can be done.  Like "Grapes" said, you gotta have the situation just right.  Good luck.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I have killed one from a treestand, and one on the ground, in a ghillie last year. I was stalked up on a whole flock, fightin over a wall of fox grapes, got some terrain between me and them and, got withing 25 or so yards and hammered the closest bird, a #20 7"beard, gobbler, who then flopped, jumped ran 200 yards to the bottom of a holler with a fat man in a ghillile suit, looking like swamp thang running after him. It can be done, take your time and hope for some luck.
samuel koger

Offline Swiftspeed10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Turkeys have awesome vision, I think it is possible but extremely difficult.
Benny
-------------------------------------------------------------
Centaur Glass 57# at 28" (58")
Sauk Trail Kenu 40# at 27" (52")--->waiting for build

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
I have found that in the fall if you do not have a turkey tag, you can wear any color you want, talk to them and dance and they don't care.  they can tell when there is no turkey tag.  I have had them very close by sitting in between junipers, but I usually have my best luck with  seat between two large trees or in tree clusters.  We have erosion born ravines in our woods, sitting against something in them where they get deep enough to hide most of your body works as well.  Last year I sat against a grassy abandoned rail line embankment with a small juniper for partial cover. It was more than enough. When they come in close look at the ground, not the turkey, and then when it is time to shoot, get on with it and just shoot.

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
I hunt them without the use of a commercial blind. Just find a place in the trees/shrubs, cut a shooting lane and I'm good. Have had four Jakes a Tom and a hen walk within 8 paces of me for the taking. I make sure that the birds have to walk past me to get to the decoys and that's it. Having said all of that, I have yet to take one because of one reason or another during the hunt. For example, as the Jake walked up on me I was so focused trying to see the beard to confirm a legal bird, I didn't raise my bow in preparation    :knothead:   . The jake walked right into the shooting lane and turned to look at me. Of course as I moved to bring up my bow.....he was gone     :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
When scouting in the spring I find as many roost areas as I can.  I go back mid-day and build several ground blinds with natural materials in spots that seem like good strut zones or transition areas.  Then as the season progresses I can jump in the blind that seems best based on how the birds have been moving after leaving the roost. You still have to be very careful about eye contact and movement.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
I have taken 4 turkeys without a blind (5 if you count one with a shotgun), but I am hunting Merriam's and not Eastern birds. From what I understand, our western birds are not quite as swift as the eastern variety, but they still see like nobody's business, and are quick to leave the country if they suspect danger. A good use of available cover and a ghillie suit help considerably, but so far I have not killed a turkey wearing a ghillie, only regular camo. While wearing a ghillie and hunting deer, I have had turkeys within 6 or so feet from me, but drawing the bow might have put them on the run.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
A decoy (if legal) helps to take their attention off of you and give you a better opportunity to get drawn.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
I find it hard to draw on the bird without getting busted.  If you can snap shoot from a sitting position, you will be much better off.

Offline kbaamigo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
I agree with backing up against a tree or brush with a decoy away from the tom and let him come from behind. Once he is in sight his attention is on the decoy making it easier to draw when he is past.

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
I get the shots.. I just can't kill one. I never really thought a commercial blind was fair. A brushpile is what a fox or coyote would use, and they're successful.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Eastern without a blind are very difficult...I prefer two methods of non-blind use...one is to find a shrub or group of 2 or three small trees to sit against to break up my outline and the other is you have to use a DECOY...it give the bird something to look at instead of for...I passed three jakes this way last year on public land near statesboro...The other way that I have had success and missed a nice bird was by finding a tree larger than my self and facing away from the approaching bird...Placing my decoy in front of me so the bird has to walk past me to the bird it give you a great shot at a strutting bird! and no need for ghillies or extra things...Hope these help...on another not I shot a bird sitting on the ground in planted pines with a compound a few years ago at 25 yards he just watched me draw and never came out of strut...It comes down to how hot the bird is and having something for him to look at as oppose to for! Good Luck
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©