3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who makes the darkest black/gray laminated wood?  (Read 234 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
who makes the darkest black/gray laminated wood?
« on: January 31, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
Hello!

Looking to buy some riser wood.
I'm looking for the darkest black/gray color I can find.

I want to use action wood type material.
I've looked at stratabond's, spectrawood's websites.
Their gray stuff looks pretty "silverish" in the photos.

The darkest I've found is Dymondwood. However I'm reluctant to use that material since it can come loose while cooking the bow.

Thanks for the help.
    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who makes the darkest black/gray laminated wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
There are plenty of bowyers using the dymondwood without problems. Either of those mentioned will finish much darker than it is before spraying.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
IF you are willing to pay for it you can get Dymondwood midnight "Ebony".  Its actually laminated Ebony,  not stained birch.  It does cost about 3 times standard Dymondwood, and when I checked you had to buy an entire sheet (enough for 3 or 4 risers if I remember right).

It is Black.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Lamey..Sounds pretty cool! More than I'm willing to spend though. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind.

Flyfish.. I do see Dymondwood risers a lot.
However, when I called and spoke with the manufacturer they definitely did NOT recommend baking the stuff since the resins they put into it loosen up around 110˚ and start to become softer.
They recommend using Stratabond for the risers if they are going to be baked.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©