3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do I need to get started?  (Read 656 times)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do I need to get started?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 04:42:00 AM »
if you are average size an weight an plan to hunt deer.it would not hurt to go to 45 lbs. Iam sure you could do this with out over bowing your self.ballpark atleast 150 lbs @ 5ft tall.this height an weight are not part of any forumla just a guide line.you should hunt with as much weight as you can as long as it feels good.

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
May want to try a neet deerskin glove, it will give you good feel on the string with smooth releases. Tried many before I found these.
psalm 83:18

Offline Acoupstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement and kind words.  I enjoy hunting so much but really haven't gotten in to shooting the compound.  And I am definitely not a gearhead.  

I am a teacher and have introduced some of my students to archery using some old equipment our PE department had laying around.  I really enjoyed shooting those cheap 15-25# bows!

I'm a good month away from ordering anything so still in research mode.  Zbone, thanks for the recommendation of those tools and Rob, I've read it 3 or 4 times!

Since I'm right-handed, I've been a little concerned about getting a 45# bow.  My plan was to but another set of limbs in the future.  Any more thoughts on this?  Also, should I start out with a different string than what is sent with the bow and if so, what do you recommend?

Offline Acoupstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
ttt

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Follow your gut. If you thought you should start at 40#, start there. Don't talk yourself into a higher weight to start. If you can easily shoot your bow you will learn good form from the start. After a dozen years of re-learning things correctly (a LOT harder to retrain) because of not wanting to have to buy another bow I still have a ways to go.

We all think we should buy "the one" bow right from the start. Probably most of us have bought "the one" a dozen times or more. Being able to easily learn and ingrain correct form with your first bow will get you to your "go to bow" much quicker and cheaper.

Also, shooting a traditional bow is just plain fun, don't make it work.

Best of luck,
Terry K.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Remember, our ancestors were shooting wood, and most of us were as well.  (The older guys anyway)
The carbon arrow is the new kid on the block.  It will do you well, but you will like the wood, and may stay with it.
That being said, I shoot both, but nothing like a wooden arrow, feel and flight.  Give them both a chance.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I too am left eye dominant but when I switched to trad I was having a shoulder issue so I went right handed. I shoot gap with both eyes open so I don't think the left eye dominant is an issue in my case. I shoot fine that way. The best thing to tell you is go with your gut feeling and above all have fun. Welcome to a whole new great experience.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Acoupstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
I also have a bit of astigmatism in my right eye that jacks with me.  I put the largest peep I could on my compound and still had trouble sighting past 30 yds.  Low light wasn't happening at all.  

While I can shoot rh trad bows reasonably well, I figure if I'm going to switch, I might as well deconstruct my shooting and do it right from the beginning.  

I'm in no hurry.  Since I teach I have the entire summer to work on my shooting and wood arrow production.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©