3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Decoy help  (Read 358 times)

Offline don cowgill

• Trad Bowhunter
Decoy help
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Im going turkey hunting in april down in kansas and am looking to buy a set of three decoys,one jake and two hens. These are sold buy flambeau outdoors on e bay for about 40.00. Has anyone used these or can anyone give me some advice about another make they have had success with? This is my second hunt,but the first without a guide. Thanks for any help, Don.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Decoy help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
I have used inflatable decoys from cherokee sports for awhile now. Started with the all inflatable then got some with the molded heads. Both work great. They will move in slight breeze if needed or can be locked in place. fold down and weigh almost nothing.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Don, I have a jake and hen decoy made by Flambeau.  They will fold up and fit into your vest. Decent decoy for the price.  Three years ago I added a tail fan to the jake and have had great success pulling birds in close.  Decoys help sometimes, sometimes they spook birds.  You just have to try and see what works on any given day.  Don't skimp on cheap decoys spend what you can afford and buy the most realistic decoy.  

Good luck
Al

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
I have used inflatable decoys from cherokee sports for awhile now. Started with the all inflatable then got some with the molded heads. Both work great. They will move in slight breeze if needed or can be locked in place. fold down and weigh almost nothing.
I REALLY like the cherokee decoys with the molded heads

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
I use the collapsible ones that are cheap and fill them with Great stuff expansion foam(a little at a time) and when they dry I I drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom,And use a small socket(push it up inside to act as a plate for the rod to spin on) and an old broken arrow and push it in and the decoy will spin with the wind on it. They are light and I carry them in my duck decoy mesh bag.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Take a look at the Buckwing decoys too.  I've had good luck with them.
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
I bought a hen and Male - I forget whether it was a tom or jake - I think they were called Big Bubba or something like that.  The first time out I use the hen and another hen I had that was movable.  The Bubba hen spreads out out on the ground so it looks like she's waiting to be bred.  Had a 25 pounder wake in without making a sound to about 8 yards.

In the past when I got a bird I always though I had it figured out for the next year.  I'll wait until this year before I pass judgement.

Good luck,

Todd
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
OH, I forgot, I'll be testing them out in KS this year too.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
You can borrow my brother in law.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline don cowgill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Hey guys,thanks for the help on the turkey decoys.Goin with feather flex hen and jake. Will let you know results of hunt.  Oh,Zadrix thanks for the offer but I already have one of those.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©