3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quail with a bow  (Read 634 times)

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
Quail with a bow
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I took my (almost) 3 year old out today in the desert by my house to try for some quail and maybe a rabbit if we could find ourselves into some. Well, we kicked up several coveys and I was able to get a couple shots, but nothing connected.

Quail are hard to hunt with a bow!! I was able to get close to some, only to have my boy scare them off (doesn't bother me at all), but keeping them on the ground long enough to fling an arrow was tough.

Anyone have better luck than me on quail?

Jethro
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quail with a bow
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
we cant shoot Quail with a Bow but that would be way to cool to have a go yall lucky.  :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
I have a buddy who lives outside of Phoenix.  I think he said it took him at least 30 shots before he finally connected on one (longbow).  I have been out to see him a couple of times and tried chasing those quail you have out there.  Boy those things can run.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
The first time that I went to AZ hunting Javi I got my pig on the first day that I was there. I spent the next week hunting with my Dad and trying like crazy to get a quail. I wanted to put one with my javi mount ya know. Well those little critters are tough to hit. I am not sure how many arrows I shot at them but I would guess in the relm of 20-30 before I got one.

I have taken several Hungarian partridge with a bow though. I am not sure why I could hit those.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I've missed 10 or more this year and got ONE.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline wbyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
I took a shot at one but missed, and lost the arrow. I only had four arrows with me and I was hunting javelina so I didn't want to risk any more. Guess I need to make a back quiver and fill it up!
~ SUA SPONTE ~

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
You might consider judo points.  Typically, I am not too high on them for actual critter shootin', as they don't hit hard enough for squirrell or even rabbit in my experiance.  However, they do work alright for dove.  Quail being roughly the same size and perhaps slightly more tender than dove, I suspect a judo would work fine.  Granted, I'm thinking sitting still shots.  If you are comfortable with that, you might give judos a try.
Silence is golden.

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
If I didn't have my loud son with me I might be able to sneak a bit more, but I wouldn't go without him.

I shoot field points with an adder on it. They kill birds and rabbits great, when you can hit them. The problem with quail is that they are rarely alone and the one you don't see is watching you. Around this time of year they have been hunted pretty hard and are pretty skittish. Even if they are on the ground, they run very fast. I love the challenge of them, can't wait to take a few.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »
I used to have a German shorthair that understood quail. I got 5 quail with that dog. Four on the gound and one in the air.  i am sure of two of the grounders were the ones I was shooting at and the one out of the air was not the one I was shooting.  I don't want to think about how many bludgeons are laying out there hanging on to rotting unfinished cedar sticks.  I did get a woodcock out of the air with an 89 pound longbow while quail hunting once.  That I had it mounted and ate the breast meat, very dark meat but not bad.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »
I used to have a photo of Howard Hill holding a stringer of about 15 or so quail. The caption read, "A Mornings Bag."
Tom

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
When I hunted in AL with Don and Skyler, Joe and Chase, annd Conan, we all shot at them flying and on the ground.

Young Skyler Wilson was the only one to shoot one out of the air...saw it with my own eyes!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
Just drive up to Colorado and shoot some grouse. They will just sit there and look at you.

Man I wish we had quail like that around here. Those were the days.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
I'm using quail to train my dog,confident it'll work with the wild ones!!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
Grouse=easy money
Quail=frustration, and broken and lost arrows
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
I've killed them on the wing, but these were all taken on the ground... some actually standing still!

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Charlie, thats a fairy tale of a life youve lived.Too cool.   :notworthy:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Izzy... I've certainly been blessed by God.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
My most favorite hunt happened many years ago in Ohio after heavy snow storm. I located a large covey of quail in small wooded area with several shallow ravines. I stalked that covey and got many shots but never scored. That was the most fun 3-4 hours I ever had with a bow. I will never forget that day.
John

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Here is one that I got back in November on the wing.  It happened to be on the first shot, but I kicked up a couple more on that hunt and didn't connect on any of them.  A Snaro or Bullhead will increase your chances of a kill, especially on the smaller birds like quail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©