3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back surgery- What to expect?  (Read 777 times)

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
Back surgery- What to expect?
« on: June 09, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »
I was wondering what to expect after my upcoming back surgery.I will be having a microdiskectomy. My shooting and hunting have already been effected by my broken ribs (still not healed after 3 yrs). What should I expect from this surgery while hunting in all the climate changes especially sitting on stand in cold weather.

I'm asking because I'm quite sure that there are a lot of you that have had this problem and can give me some insight.Also how many have had good or bad results from this surgery?  :pray:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back surgery- What to expect?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Linc,I,ve had 2 disc removed and replaced with bone and steel.The biggest change I,ve seen is in taking trips in the car.I have to stop after about an hour driving to get out and limber up.As far as stand hunting goes my biggest change is I stand more than sit now.The cold doesn,t seem to bother me any more now than before.Both times I blew a disc they went in and compressed my spinal cord causing me to lose the felling in my left arm and leg.In my opion both surgeries were sucessful.I don,t try to drag deer without help any more,but for me the things I can,t do is out weighed by the loss of pain I had.The arthritis in my knees and elbow  bothers me alot more than my back.Hope this helps some and hope your surgery helps alot.You will be back to par before you know it.
                            J.W.

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
I had C5 and 6 removed 16 years ago. Still gives me fits(more so if I don't stay strong). I probably see a chiropractor at least a couple of times a month. Better that than the constant pain though. I'm still shooting:)
Best advise: Do the rehab and get as strong as you can to let the muscles help with the mild instability that will be there after the surgery. Also, I have found that a thourough warm up before shooting keeps me from a visit to the chiropractor. I know that you can't do this while hunting, but all range shooting should be from a warmed up body. Good luck.

Jon

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Hello Link,

Do not despair brother, I nearly did just before my opertion in December 2005.  I had 3 herniated disks (L5, L4 & L3), two of which were 8 & 10 mm respectively.  I've suffered from back injury for 30 years due to a compression injury when I was 18, (jumped off a train trestle into dark water and landed on a submerged stone wall).  In those 30 years I'd been through the pain, through the incapacitation of being stuck on the floor not able to move, (what I call "road-kill), weakness etc.   :scared:  

12 years ago I married my chiropractor.  Something about the notion of a cost-effective partnership, but I digress....During the summer of 2005 we moved her office to a new location.  I was installing the X-ray machine, a big heavy apparatus on a a sliding track, and I was working alone.  The danged monster slipped in the track and as I exerted pressure to steady the heavy apparatus my back gave way.  I felt the lumbar disks ripping, or at least the muscles in the vicinity felt the rip.  Rather Ironic that I totally blow-out my back while working at the Chiropractor's office.  This injury really scared me, since it resulted in my right leg loosing feeling and strength.  Yikes!   :scared:   3 months go by, I deal with the customary excruciating pain, then the numbness down my leg and finally become stationary with a loss of power and ability to control the placement of my right foot as I walk.  This is actually cutting into my ability to hunt cause I have to look at my foot to place it on the ground.  I recall hunting Ft Collins, CO that year and falling down so many times that my hunting partners would not let me out of their sight.  They thought I'd become "road-kill" on the side of a mountain and get eaten by some critter.  The condition was called "drop-foot" and happens when the nerve is no longer firing.  Daily chiro adjustments, physical therapies and all the other time consuming goodies from the chiropractic philosophy just were not working for this injury.   Time to get more seriously proactive in addressing this injury.

I went to another doctor for nerve conduction test, which showed there was alomost zero conductivity (no electrical impulses) going through my right leg sciatica nerve.  This affected the muscles that control the strength given to the ankle.

Next was an MRI (x-ray will not show sufficient detail to soft body tissue) and even my untrained eye could see the impingement that the disks were making upon the nerve trunk.  Orthopedic surgeon concurred and off to the butcher shop I went.  Man, I was scared!   :scared:      :scared:   I had been stabbed on the job years ago and have a general insecurity about being cut open.  Surgeon's scalpul or street punk's switchblade really didn't register much of a difference to me.  I had the surgery to remove the scaring from the herniation.  The surgical event was anti-climatic in that all went well and my pre-surgical anxiety was wasted energy.

I realized immediate relief once the nerve canal was relieved of the disk scar tissue from the herniated disk.  The surgeon told me that the herniated disk had wrapped itself around the nerve trunk, in his words, "like a vine growing around a tree".  As the scar tissue grew in place and then attempted to retract into the shape of a vertebrae disk it was strangling the nerve trunk, which resulted in the loss of nerve function.  Doc said he ground out some of the vertebrae bone tissue to increase the size of the nerve canal and he pealed the scarred disk material from the nerve and snipped it off.  Sounds simple and mechanical enough to me but I know it was the surgeons' outstanding skill and technique that shined through in the end.  Post operation I was pretty happy to be walking 5 hours after I woke in the post-op ward.  I went home the next day and started my recovery process.

I took a month to recover and then started physical therapy.  Now the tough work started.  It was like learning to walk all over again.  I had to re-train the nerve to obey MY command, to get out of lazy mode.  Standing on one foot was particularly challenging.  I got stronger through therapy and now 19 months later estimate I have 80% of my nerve function back.  A follow-up MRI showed that scar tissue filled in around the nerve trunks but they are no longer getting strangled by the offending scar tissue.

In the long run, I realized several good things resulting from the surgery. I regained control of my right leg.  It doesn't flop around like a Psyserable Palsey (?) victim any longer.  Psychologically I confronted and conquered a fear of being cut (residual from getting stabbed while making an arrest years ago).  And it eventually dawned upon me that I no longer get the huge "charlie horse" cramps to my hamstring muscles that I was plagued with throughout my adult life, particularly in the evenings.  That in itself was worth the price of admission.

Link, all I can really say to you and others suffering with medical issues is to take control of your own destiny.  Become actively involved in the process, force the doctors and other medical professionals to explain in layman's terms what is happening to you so that you can make the decision about your own health care.  After the surgery is conducted, after the bills are paid, after the recover period, it is you and your family that has to live with the resulting effects of the decisions that you make regarding your health care.  If the relationship with your doctor does not feel right, find andother doctor.  Try not to be a vicitim of the health care profession.   :coffee:      :coffee:  

As for my ability to hunt, I still hunt every chance I get.  And when I can no longer walk the hills and valleys then I will re-live past hunts in my mind.  But for now I can still hunt and still hope that there are suicidal animals still willing to walk in front of my arrow.

I'll keep a good thought for your successful recovery.  Keep us posted.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Oh yeah, Linc, I forgot to tell you,  Those ribs you say are still broken....they are long since healed...bones don't take 3 years to heal.  They might still hurt, they might not have healed properly, but they are definately healed.  Go get them X-rayed if you need to be satisfied of that fact.
Good luck Man
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Mike,
  I have my ribs X-rayed every 6 months for the last 3 + yrs,believe me they are still broke.I guess it doesn't help much that I don't baby them.Every time I think they are fully healed,CRUNCH !!!!There they go again.All my Thorasic Doc can say is "They are still healing" and Yup,you still have plerocy (sp?)My muscles around my chest and back are what's really giving me fits.Probably more job related than anything.
  I have a hard time with long car rides now. I was hurting like a mutha down and back from West Virginny last year. It's bad enough with my 45min drive to and from work every day.Driving or riding in my wifes car kills me.
  My main concern is sitting on stand for long periods and how much to expect the cold to bother my spine.
  I'm not bothered too much about the thought of getting cut.I've worked for 29 yrs around sharp metals.I've had more stitches than I care to remember and 5 surgeries. I just don't care to much for voluntarily putting myself in pain.LOL.Except for  maybe an upcoming tatoo.   ;)    :jumper:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Linc, try the warm-up stretches before you drive and before you get on stand. I have heated seats and they seem to help my back before and after the hunt. I have also had 2 lumbar surgeries and 1 cervical where they removed the disk between C6 & C7 and replaced it with cadaver bone. I hunted that fall with no ill effect within 6 weeks of the surgery. Maybe try those heat patches that you can stick on your back. Good luck.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Hey there Linc,

I'm an old construction worker that has abused his body for many years....you might say i was a career weight lifter for many, many years...being of strong back and rather medium to slender build, the constant lifting and turning caught up with me about 5 years ago. i compressed my spine lifting a 300 pound roll of carpet over my head....yep that ripped it.... i was flat on my back for 6 weeks after seeing my chiropractor. I had a bulged / herniated disk. When the bone cruncher tried to adjust me he pinched it again causing more damage than good. i had to be literally carried out of there.....i had no insurance, and the doctors wouldn't even see me....i couldn't walk, couldn't lay flat & couldn't even sleep for the pain...talk about scary! i can relate..... my wife and i did some research and i decided to give acupuncture a try....i mean ...what did i have to lose huh?....i was AMAZED at the relief i got almost instantly after my first session.... it didn't last long, but after twice a week and some physical therapy for a month i was almost back to normal completely..... i went right back to heavy construction work again too.... two years went by and i did it again...i had been watching myself too, and not horsing around with any serious lifting either. I stretched out in bed one night..... That was it....this time it was different though...same location in my lower back...different nerve pinched. this time the pain was so serious i went to the emergency room after two weeks of no sleep....the MRI showed multiple bulged disks and the doctors said surgery was mandatory.....i couldn't get myself to do it..... even if i could have found someone that would do the surgery....about the only doctors out there that will work on you without insurance are veterinarians ..... that didn't give me a lot of confidence....so back to the acupuncturist i went....it took 8 weeks this time to get back to 98%. i never got that last bit of strength in my left leg back, but i can still climb mountains with a 30 pound pack, and run a big chain saw all day.....the bottom line here is this bro....I've got close friends, and know many other folks that have had the same surgery you are having. some had great results, and some not....the key to it is keeping yourself limber, and the muscles in your back toned as much as possible. The acupuncture helps reconnect those short circuited nerve endings again and increases circulation allowing things to heal.....doctors say a herniated disk wont heal.....I'm here to tell you first hand....they are wrong...dead wrong....but the trick is in exercise and staying limber...i would highly recommend acupuncture for pain killing alternative, and increased circulation too....this isn't hocas pokas stuff here guy...think of it as a tune up on your body's electrical system.... i wish you the best of luck on your surgery bro.....keep acupuncture in mind for the future along with your physical therapy its done me wonders! miricles by doctors standards.....

one more thing i gotta share....ask your physical therapist about an inversion table. hands down, that inversion therapy did more good for me than anything else....

Hope this helps......Sincerely...Kirk

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
Linc,I had major back surgery and one week later I was shooting my longbow and one year later I benched 405 for a set Of three. The only thing that bothers me is sitting a long time or propping my feet up; that's a no-no. Whenever I even THINK I tweaked my back I get on ice to keep the swelling down and I found a good chiro. doc to keep me tuned up. Tom
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
Hey Tom,How are you doing and Dina? I hope you both are well.Thanks for all the good info.405 lbs huh,I'm not messing with you.LOL. Not that I ever would anyway.  

I have also found that propping my feet up is a no-no.  I also have to make sure I have plenty of lumbar support,which as luck would have it,my van has adjustable lumbar support built into the drivers seat.My wifes car doesn't.

My first MRI had showed 2 bulging,2 herniated disk one with a section torn off,1 hardening and then some arthritis in the Thorasic area. A recent MRI shows that one herniated that healed itself but the other has gotten worse and now has a section torn off.Everything else is the same.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
I had that surgery on L4 and L5 last October wasw shooting in four weeks and hunted a little in december. I have been back in the gym since january and am getting stronger. dr still won;t allow squats but I can bench 255 for three reps and 235 for ten. Doing rows and curls and other stuff to stay in shape as well as thirty minutes three time weekly on an eliptical trainer. I also ride a bike. It hurt sometimes but nothing aspirin won't cure. I had stalled untill I was almost immobile and in excruciating pain but I was up walking just hours after surgery. I was amazed at how much they helped. Long term sitting seems to be the biggest hazard, driving being the worst. I think I am 75 to 80 percent now and will be close to 100 by the end of summer and should have lost most of the recovery weight gain. I did a lot of comfort food while I was down both before and after surgery. At fifty four the pounds come off a little slower. Best of luck and trust in the God of your understanding to carry you through this.
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
Funny to read this thread because I was about to ask the same question about how long to recover from back surgury myself. I have a L-5 disc that is completely gone and over the last two years my left leg goes numb very quickly if I am on it in one spot to long.I had a M.R.I. done 21/2 years ago and one Doc. said it could fuse itself back together.Well it hasn't yet and the pain is worse so I went to another Dr. and I had a new M.R.I. last Sat. and as he looked at my 21/2 year old M.R.I. he said I should have surgury to put in a ca da ber ceramic thing ma jig and some titanium supports of some thing ma jig.I am having surgury on June 26th and hopefully when he gets my newer M.R.I. he won't see anymore damage.I asked him about this thing called an X-stop and he says it has nothing to attach to under the L-5 . I know something needs to be done soon because the pain is starting to creep around my right side now and I have to kneel down quite a bit to releive the pain.Has anyone else ever had this happen and if so how long to recover and what will I need to do so I won't damage it from shooting. Thanks and God Bless! Keefers <")))><

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
Shootrmn,  You and I must of been typing the same time.Sounds like you had the same thing I am about to get.I hope I don't need anything else but I will see when the Dr. gets my recent M.r.i. " Did you cry " ? Keefers <")))><

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
"What to expect? "

A bunch of emails as you recuperate!  :knothead:  
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Killie,I'll hold you to it.  :goldtooth:  I haven't heard from you in a long time.I hope all is well.

Mine is for the L5-S1. The L4-5 actually healed itself over the last year+ but in the meantime the L5-S1 has gotten worse.The pain bounces back and forth between both legs but the pain wraps around my hips and down the from of the thighs.Burning pins and needles from the knee to the tips of the toes on my left calf.The cramps in the hamstring are excruciating and last from 10-15 mins. sometimes longer.

I plan on doing a lot of walking as that seems to help more than anything. The woods behind my house is being logged out soon and the roadways have been opened back up recently.Good a place as any to do the walking and a bit of scouting.LOL.

Twisting and bending are my biggest culprits for pain. I have learned to turn my whole body instead of at the waist. Bending and leaning over can't really be avoided with my job.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
LInc , all the best bud!! Hang in there!!!Marco#78...  :wavey:    :wavey:    :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Linc I never had back surgery.  Some say I should have.  I got along fine eleven years ago when they replace my right hip.  All I can say is do ALL the rehab the doctor tells you to.  God bless and if you need any thing CALL!!!!!
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks Mark and Ted. Ted,you was getting around pretty good at Gorh 2003.Your back could have used a little tweeking but who am I to say.  :wavey:    :campfire:    :campfire:    :campfire:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Well Linc the Arthritis has pretty much fused my spine solid.  I just hope no one rear ends my truck.  It's a broken back or neck for sure!  My knees are now giving out.  Left one specially.  Looks like it will be a knee replacement in the near future.  Whose doing your back?  Maybe we can get a group rate!  LOL  :^)  Stay positive brother.  The Lord never gives us more than we can handle and He never leaves us by our self!
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline LeeNY @work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
You can expect a phone call everyday until the 26th.
L. Miller

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©