3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cock Feather  (Read 378 times)

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
Cock Feather
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
I have always been told to have cock feather out but I read here that others have cock feather up. Is there a right or wrong position? I'm shooting a recurve off the shelf, split finger.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cock Feather
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Play with it and find out where the sweet spot is for your bow.  Typically cock feather out is what most shoot, but I've also seen guys who get better flight with the cock feather in.  

Watch the arrow as it comes off the bow, if you notice side to side fishtailing, try a different position.  If you can't get it under control, re-check your spine to make sure the arrows are a good fit for the bow.

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 05:36:00 AM »
I'm not really haveing any issues, just wondering. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »
I shoot cock feather in, just seems to be better flight for me.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
The cock feather is just the one with the different color.

What matters is not where the cock feather is (in, out, or up).

What really matters is HOW THE FLETCHING aligns with the bow's arrow rest and sight window. You want to minimize contact of the fletching's quil with the bow. Generally, this is best with the inside hen feather being positioned so it runs through the corner of the sight window and arrow rest...but again, the color of this fletching is of course not important.

Just do them all the same way so you don't get them mixed up.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
What Lee says.  I shoot cock feather out and it is just an alignment aid for stringing the arrow.  The key is clearance with whatever you have on the bow's shelf.  Cock up gives you a flat stance for a very wide shelf.  I instead use a rug shelf with a clearance ditch at the corner of the riser and the strike pad is elevated a bit to keep that channel in the corner clear.  With the cock feather out that lower hen slips through that channel (though it still hits pad as the fletching is helical).

If you're getting a kick from the shelf or feather wear - change something.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
mine are set with the cock at about 7:30-  if looking at from back of nock.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I shoot with it in...

only because I used to get wear on my one lower hen feather when I shot with it out.

One day I just decided to put it in, haven't seen a bit of wear now an any feather.

Never had a arrow flight issue, just a wear issue...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline swampsSonny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
I shoot cock in myself but it doesnt really matter.The feathers are not against the riser as the arrow passes around it anyway.If you do a search on slow motion video the arrow will look like a wet noodle as it leaves the bow,thats the archers paradox and why spine is the key to arrow flight.Good luck
shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
try it and see all my fletch are the same colour so it dont make a diff to me i pull the arrow out and just nock it on the string.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampsSonny:
I shoot cock in myself but it doesnt really matter.The feathers are not against the riser as the arrow passes around it anyway.If you do a search on slow motion video the arrow will look like a wet noodle as it leaves the bow,thats the archers paradox and why spine is the key to arrow flight.Good luck
As stated, this situation is indeed influenced by arrow spine!

I also leave a space in the corner of my sight window/strike plate and arrow rest.

My fletching is helical...but I didn't exaggerate the helical for this reason. I set my jigs so the quil rides the center of the shaft flat during glue up which puts enough helical to get the benefit of helical but without being excessive. This way I still get good clearance.
Lee

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
I dont pay any attention,just nock an arrow and let her rip,sometimes in sometimes out cant tell any difference
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
I have seen fletching alignment make a big difference for some bows and some archers. I have seen people's arrows come out wobbling flopping around only because the quil on their feathers were hitting the shelf and/or sight window...then the same arrows turned aroung come out clean.

It really does make a noticable difference for some. For others that seem clean regardless, I imagine it would at least improve the degree of forgiveness.
Lee

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampsSonny:
Look closer.  The arrow bows out from the shelf in the center of the shaft.  The nock is still on the string travelling with it forward and the string pushes it several inches further than the brace height at rest.  When the nock is finally free of the string it still has to clear the shelf; and if the center of the arrow has bowed out that means the ends have to bow in (the paradox occurs along a central axis).  Sometimes you can hear a "clack" as the nock end of the shaft strikes the riser (or the shelf if your nock height is off).  Usually you won't because the fletch is absorbing the hit - and the reason vanes don't work as well off a shelf.  And it is also one of the reasons for toying with brace height.  if the arrow isn't free of the string in time you will get horizontal errors.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
jack howard shot with cock feather in. i can't recall his rationale behind it; he explained why in his "bowhunter's catalog." (which i no longer have) i do remember his explanation made sense.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline Jeffrey Coria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
On Masters of the Barebow, fred eichler was shooting cock feather in, Said the rotation allowed him to mis the riser on the twist leaving the bow.  I tried it for a while and whent back to shooting cockfeather out.. Didn't make much of a difference.  I can understand traffic on one feather so I might give it another go.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Cock feather out for me. Been doing it this way for the last 47 years.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Peachey:
I shoot cock feather in, just seems to be better flight for me.
same here
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline swampsSonny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Shoot what works for "you" and have fun doing it   :thumbsup:  

I've shot easton 4"diamond vanes off the shelf yes I said vanes cock in and had dead straight arrow flight but thats just me

good luck fella's
shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Cock feather out.. because that's how I've alway's done it! Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©