3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hildebrand Sitka Spruce  (Read 477 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Hildebrand Sitka Spruce
« on: June 09, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
Anyone here tried them?  If you have, what are your thoughts?

I like wood arrows myself--not for nostalgia, not because I think it makes me "more traditional", I just like them.  I like the feel, the sound, the forgiveness, the way they look, and when I have time I like to make them.  As long as I do my part and hit the target, durability isn't a problem.

I've shot carbon in the past, and may shoot them again one of these days, but probably not as long as I can get quality wood shafts at a reasonable price.  

Rogue River was my choice when Paula and Cecil had it, and I've gotten good POC from Raven, but want to try Spruce again.

Chad

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hildebrand Sitka Spruce
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Chad,
       I have purchased Sitka Spruce from Hildebrand several times. Their premium Sitka shafts are good quality. I've been pleased with all I've bought from them so far. Really good Sitka spruce is hard to come by and they only make their shafts from old groth trees. Give em a try.

JOHN
I reckon so

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Try Paul Jalon at EliteArrows.com he now carries Sitka Spruce for his arrows. And he is a top notch craftsman / arrowmaker. You can't go wrong.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Chad,
Another one of our Sponsors, Foxfire Traditional Archery, who bought out Arrows by Kelly, carries both Sitka Spruce and Douglas Fir. They are matched close in spine and grain weight and reasonably priced. I'm making up a dozen of each right now to compare. I have always liked Sitka which seem to be a bit stronger than POC but want to see how the extra grain weight of the fir compares.
Bob
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
Chad, I like them.  Hildebrand Sitka Spruce is all I've been using for about three years now.
You'll find them good folks to work with, too.
There aren't that many shaft manufacturers.  There is a fair chance that the vendors mentioned are using Hildebrand shafts.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
I just received an order of 75-79# spruce shafts (400-410gr) from Neil and Roxane. Good people. They required very little straightening. I have been buying all my shafts from them and have always been satisfied with them and their customer service.  I haven't tried their Doug Fir yet just because I have liked the spruce so well.

Offline Silent owl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Superb quality!

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Another vote for Paul Jalon at Elite arrows. He is the best arrowmaker that I have found. I shoot his tapered cedars, and they are awesome. I noticed he is now making Sitka Spruce as well.
Bill

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
It's all I shoot because I like the consistency of their quality.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
i think hildebrand supplies raptor archery , foxfire.. and a bunch more.. look on hildebrands website and it will show who they distribute too.. i think that neil and roxanne are top notch!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
Yep, Neil supplies all of the places above and more with Sitka shafting.  Great stuff.  dino.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
I got some SS and DF from H-brande's and am liking the DF even better.

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I purchased some DF from Hildebrand and their service was excellent! I got my shafts within 3 days of the internet purchase. Pretty good from WA to PA in 3!
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Ive asked neil about the douglas fir and sitka spruce comparisons.. he told me some guys like the douglas fir because they are a bit heavier and maybe more durable... but did say he thought that sitka spruce made a better arrow.. I've shot both and like both... I think they are both as good as cedar..in my opinion.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Yep good stuff. I've bought doug fir and sitka spruce from them, they both make good arrows. Careful though, Neil likes to chat, LOL. He might keep ya on the phone a while. They're good people.

All but the red ones are spruce.

These are some doug fir I made for my wife.

"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I forgot they offered DF also.....dang, more decisions.  I've shot both in the past, and realy don't remember which I liked better.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©