3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hex Shaft Arrows  (Read 324 times)

Offline JP3

• Trad Bowhunter
Hex Shaft Arrows
« on: February 04, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
What to know if anybody shoots hex shafts and what they think about them.
"A great archer is not measured by the distance, or difficulty of the shot, its by knowing when not to shoot no matter how tempting it may be"

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hex Shaft Arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I have nonfooted shafts from Bob as well and love them!

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
i've made up dozens of hex pine arrows, their hexagonal 'bamboo fly rod' type of build is quite strong.  they claim the spine is pretty consistent all the way around the shaft, and while that's true for most, some just aren't.  weight is another issue - with all that glue holding the six wedges together, it can be hard to find them in lower mass weights that are comparable to poc and surewood fir.  probably due to the glue laminating process, i found these shafts a bit harder to straighten, though most of them were pretty straight as received.  pine doesn't take stains as well as poc or fir.  right now, all i use for woodies is surewood doug fir.  in the long run, you need to try out a dozen hex pines and see for yerself ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
I made up 3dz a little over a year ago. Each dz a different spine. One set I think was probably bad. They busted up after a few shots. It seemed like they were dry, they broke right down the hexes.

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
i've been shooting the same dozen for over a year
still fly great and no problems!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
I've used em for several years from WhisperingWinds. Good tough arrows for sure, they do tend to run fairly heavy, which is fne by me.

Now I do notice that they can be tough to sraighten, and tend to need re-straightening after sitting round my basement for a while.

All that said, I have a dozen surewoods stained and waitin for me to get them finished to try out and compare. Ive hear d lots of good things about the surewoods, just the same as I did with the hexpines when they first came out.

I guess like anyone else, Im always searchin for the perfect wood arrow material As for the hexshafts, I like 'em. Ive tried laminated birch, POC, and stuck with the pines for a good long time, but Im anxious to get them surewoods done so I can satisfy my curiousity.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I have a dzn in process now.  Like posted above, they can take a little more effort to get a nice stain.
I have what is left of an earlier dzn, have used them to hunt, stump and target, they are tough.
Haven't had any straightning issues, they all stayed pretty much straigh.
The new ones are all straight as of now.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I didn't like them at all and agree doug fir and cedar are still tried and true. The hardwoods are tough but hard to straighten and keep straight and they weigh a ton.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©