3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Split / 3 Under Quietness ?  (Read 672 times)

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Split / 3 Under Quietness ?
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Are bows that have been tillered for 3 under quieter than spilt tillered shooting 3 under?
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split / 3 Under Quietness ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I have had two bows tillered even. One was as quiet shooting 3 under as split. The other was louder three under.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
I had this discussion with a top bowyer recently, he said that tillering the bow for 3 under will make it 'properly tillered for three under' but it will still be louder than split. And no, he did nor know why.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
good question, imo higher nock point makes the bow more noisey,but one of the nicest shooting bows i have owned was a plv widow tillered 3 under and i shoot split!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I had this discussion with a top bowyer recently, he said that tillering the bow for 3 under will make it 'properly tillered for three under' but it will still be louder than split. And no, he did nor know why.
Well maybe I should have started a thread entitled.
  Whats the quietest bow you've shot 3 under.    :)
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
The 2 quietest shooting 3 under for me is my current ACS that is tilled split and a Titan with their carbon limbs tilled even. Most bows for me are unacceptably loud even spending days tuning shooting 3 under

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
I'm not the most experienced shooter around but spent countless hours tinkering with 3under and split between curves and longs. My finding were that split finger longs seem to be superior. Of course I'm not shooting top ends bows either. Just my two cents.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Had a recurve made tillered 3 under.  All that accomplished was a nock height of 3/8".  Otherwise just as noisey as split tillerd with 5/8"+ nock height shot 3 under.  I have a PMA and a Holtzrichter recurve that are tillered split and shot 3 under are tollerable noise wise.  My longbows bark at the moon when shot 3 under.  The only reason I shoot split is the unacceptable noise , to me, of 3 under.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
I prefer 3 under, but have found it to be noisier than split on every bow I've tried it on.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I shoot 3-under these days. I made the decision based upon finger comfort. Very few of my bows are tillered for split finger. I've tinkered a bit because of threads like this to see if I can detect a sound difference. I can't. But then again, I can't hear my wife hollering for me anymore either.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
A lot depends on arrow weight and tuning but generally bow are quieter shot split.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
I had no idea that bows were even tillered to favor a certain shooting style? I thought the bow was tillered then you shoot whichever style you prefer?
Does a guy need to specify if he shoots split or 3 under before buying a bow? I don't remember ever seeing that option in a ad before.
Nor have I seen it mentioned on any of the bow sponsor's ads that I've been to that are linked from this site?
Please explain, thanks.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I don't know why either, but every bow I've tried shot quieter split finger.

On the other hand, I've killed deer shooting 3 under, and I've killed deer shooting split. None of them complained about the noise.    :biglaugh:  

I shoot split because I feel like I have better control that way, even though I can probably shoot better groups shooting three under. The thing is, as a hunter I shoot groups of one. I have more confidence that the one shot will hit the mark shooting split.

My son shoots three under and has no complaints about the noise. He shoots a Kanati, so quiet is kind of built in.

I'm not really sure one is actually LOUDER than the other. I think it may be more a matter of pitch change. I can't confirm this, but I have read of experiments using sophisticated equipment that showed little or no volume change between the two.

This topic seems to be one we worry over after hunting season, but in reality it makes little difference in the field. That's my two cents worth anyway. As they say, your mileage may vary.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I want to shoot 3 under,but want quietness also.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
I believe that I have a bit of a solution for this issue, I shoot two under, index and third finger.

Helps me get cleaner releases and shoot shorter bows well with my 30 inch draw length as well.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I shoot 3-under these days. I made the decision based upon finger comfort. Very few of my bows are tillered for split finger. I've tinkered a bit because of threads like this to see if I can detect a sound difference. I can't. But then again, I can't hear my wife hollering for me anymore either.
Not being able to hear women is apparently a listening issue and not a hearing issue at all.

Got me into quite a bit of hot water when I was a principal until I figured out the difference.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
I shoot 2 under, index and middle finger, no pinch, and cleaner release. My draw is only 28" so finger pinch has never been an issue and actually 2 under instead of 3 under was an easy transition and I don't notice the 3rd finger not being on the string. I guess it's all a matter of what you get used to?

I agree with 30coupe, it's an issue we think about during the off season and matters very little in the field or when you draw back on a critter because then your instincts take over. That's why whichever way you feel the most comfortable shooting is what you should stick with so any thought process other than "pick a spot" doesn't need to enter into it when you turn one loose on an animal.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
I've been shooting three under ,And haven't detected any noise difference ,My bow is just as quiet,I just haven't noticed any difference from the split to the three under ,Although it has made me very Aware of my release,I do notice sometimes I'm using pressure from only two fingers.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
If you are getting too much noise shooting 3 under, you might try increase your arrow weight...
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I could do that Joe or find a quieter bow    :D
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©