3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Motorcycles and longbows  (Read 596 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Motorcycles and longbows
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Where I hunt elk and mule deer, a trail motorcycle is a good idea and this winter I traded some work for a nice older trail bike. (I don't want a mtn. bike. I already hike many miles each day hunting and don't need to add riding a b-cycle 10 miles up hill at about 7000 ft).
I am not interested in riding into the back country off road with the motorcycle- thats what legs are for. But it will be great to use to hunt different areas that I would previously have had to drive over to in my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel (read ball buster). These are dirt roads or unmaintained dirt, or jeep trails. Very rough & slow going in a big truck.

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions regarding how I will carry my longbow. Its a one piece with a quiver. Now I know about the broad heads and keeping them secure is one issue and thats pretty simple to solve. But how should I carry the bow? Strung, unstrung, in a scabbard? Simple is what I want.

I have seen another archer carry his strung over his shoulder. Thats a great way to carry it- until you wipe out.

Thanks in advance and any other suggestions are welcome.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Motorcycles and longbows
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
You could make a bow tube out of some PVC and PVC caps and mount it to the frame with zip ties. Un-strung so the tube can be smaller diameter but large enough to accomodate the bow in a protective sleeve. Say 2-1/2"
Member NCBA

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
You may want to check out the regs before you get to planning too hard..I think in colorado you have to have it in a case (closable) or unstrung...I carry mine in a case for a strung bow mounted to the side of the bike with an assortment of bracketry, still not real good if you wipe out but it works just gotta take it easy
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
This is actually a dog leash attached to my bow quiver. The bow is strung but it could be unstrung.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
Ron, that looks like a great idea! Unstrung, but on my back. If I wipe out its probably no worse than getting a pvc tube across the ribs. I may put the bh's in their own little tube attached to the seat rack.

Joshua

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
The ride is not the problem, but the crash could be as you mentioned.Remember, you are likely up the mtn. and back down the mtn. in the dark. Snag that bow on a tree at any real speed and your bow will be the least of your concerns. A strung bow string over the shoulder is a potential cheesecutter on your throat in a crash.  Get another longbow in a 2 piece takedown. I know its not what you want to hear, but is much safer. Same for horses and mountain bikes.I put my 2 piece LB and quiver in or outside whatever size pack I'm using that given day.I used to use a three piece take-down but prefer the two piece because I can assemble it so fast w/o tools or parts to lose. Another excuse to get a new bow is a good thing in my mind.LOL. I've ridden and crashed my share of horses and bikes to know @#$% happens fast,so take a few safety precautions and hunt another day.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
You folks have been reading my mail. I have a mtn bike, motorcycle, & horse. Use the mtn bike a lot carrying the 70" LB strung & standing straight up in my panniers & tied to the seatpost w/my BQ in between as a cushion. This works well. Nothing yet suits me for the motorcycle or horse. I'm thinking pvc tube capped on each end w/arrows inside.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:05:00 AM »
I tow a deer cart with my bike.  Pulling out a deer on flat ground with a bike is easier than pulling it on foot.  I have a dirt access road. It is easier with a shrew than a 70 inch longbow. However, if you tow your cart you can put your bow in the tube on the cart, or you can just get a shorter bow.
I took a motorcycle hunting when I was a kid a lot. I had it in a tube so it stuck straight back.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
This was from some years ago on a hunt in Colorado. I had two osage  bows and they road in a rifle scabbard.

This is the Shrew back quiver which had a pocket on the back to hold an unstrung bow, a very handy rig but I stopped making them. I've had some inquiries as of late so I might bring it back.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
It's hard to see but this is a back quiver that I had made for a two piece take down bow. It had two "pockets" on the back that I could slide each half of the bow into. The main body of the quiver was large enough to hold a loaded bow quiver. It was a very safe and handy way to transport the bow and arrows from horseback of bike.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
Joshua,

I've used a Rokon in the Colorado Mountains since 2004.  Until last year I shot a wheel bow and used a scabbard mounted to plywood and attached to the side of my bike.  Last year I hunted with a long bow and used a length of PVC tube, painted black and capped.  I don't think zip ties will hold up, use large hose clamps instead.  I had a bunch of mounting hardware break on my compound scabbard just because of the rougher-than-a-cob roads.

I have pics someplace but no time to search for them at the moment.  I padded the inside ends of the PVC tube and then had my LB in a sleeve case.  Worked great.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
I was gonna say, check with Ron Laclair he's the guru on this. But... I see he's already been here!  :thumbsup:  Jason

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Haven't seen you post in awhile Ron. If anyone, I knew you'd have a good answer straight from experience. Hope all is well w/you & family. Thanks. Great pic Blackstick.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Have any of you seen the "piggyback" bike that you hook up to your bike for a kid to ride?  It is just like a small bike, except no front end or wheel.  Instead it hooks to the seat post, right under your seat.  It follows right behind ya and would be simple to hook up whatever size bow.  I see 'em on Craigslist alot.  Check 'em out.

Oops, after seein' that pic of Ron on his bike I forgot this was about motorcycles.. :knothead:  ...Don't think they'd work for a mototrcycle, but would work well for a bike.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Some good thoughts so far. Keep em coming.

I'm pretty psyched about the dirt bike. Now I can really be more flexible in where I hunt. I don't have to break down camp, crawl my way to a new area 10 or 20 miles away.
Many a day I chose not to explore another place simply because taking the truck would take too much time, or too much thrashing around.
 Using the motorcycle to "commute" sounds pretty appealing as I sit here dreaming of next elk season.

Joshua

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Get a 4 cycle, they're quieter that a 2cy,  ying-a-ding-ding.

I got a Honda Ruckus scooter, only 49cc's but I was surprised how easily it hauls my heavy carcass, even on moderate hills. It gets me and my gear to my hunting area. It's really quiet, purrs like a kitten an gets about 100MPG. Since I had both knees replaced I can't travel by foot-mobile like I once could... so you do what ya gotta do.

Offline cobbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Here is a link to another tread in the matter.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=088135

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
BTW, what do you guys use to prevent thefts? Thats one of my main concerns- leaving a bike for 12 hrs that two guys could lift into the bed of a truck.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Ron, that back quiver is super sweet. I use a cheap bike in WY to get me through the service roads from camp. That quiver would be the cat's meow...  :bigsmyl:
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©