3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stopped by annewakee archery /BIG NO NO  (Read 443 times)

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
stopped by annewakee archery /BIG NO NO
« on: February 05, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
Had to drive up to greenville yesterday to pick up a few things for the farm. While I was in the area, I stopped by John Dill's place. Been a while (Too Long) since I'd been there. John was just getting back from Raleigh, so we walked out to the shop. John has a knack for makeing alot out of a little. I was impressed at how effecient the small addition to his original shop was set up. It is indeed a quiver factory and John the only employee.

Long story short, We shot the bull for awhile and went out in the rain to shoot. John wanted me to shoot the new addiction longbow. It was a sweetie for sure. 56" and 50@28 , really pronoced sweep in the limbs and a shooter for sure. I'm sure this short longbow will be turning some heads this year. I really did'nt stop by to buy anything except maybe a few hood foams. However after shooting the 56lb addiction that he had, I just could'nt leave without it. I got rid of all my bows in that weight range awhile back but this 56" recurve with that deep hook in the limbs, is very smooth all the way back and seems like I can handle it with minimal shoulder pain. It's a twin to my 47lb addiction too. Black phenolic riser w/ red S wave, bamboo cores and spalted sycamore limbs. Very nice looking combo. I plan to try and set it up to shoot the same gn per lb or speed as my other. Plan being I can then shoot both bows with my same look.

If your ever around greenvill NC and got some time, give John a call and stop by. I will warn you though, leave most of you cash at home. LOL . DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stopped by annewakee archery /BIG NO NO
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:01:00 AM »
what! no pics?  :nono:   i need to get up to greenville and visit with john some time. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Would love to see pics of your new set up.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Those bows sound addictive...sorry couldn't help it.Getting ready to call John for a quiver myself.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
I'm sorry I "heard" all this (but only because it's  super       :eek:    ) I love my Addiction recurve but I've always loved longbows and John's (& Lee's) products do have a way of sneakin' up on ya - I better just run 'n hide I reckon.

(Actually I was happy to see batman's review/opinions.)  

Still       :eek:      (for a lot of us - LOL - Wait a minute, Ruddy, I'll get my hat 'n go with ya      ;)   )  )
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
I shot both the recurve and longbow at Kazoo.
Both I and my father now have a recurve on order!
I was not only impressed with the craftmanship but they are deadly quiet!
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Does John have 2 bowyers now? The yellow colored longbows weren't made by Lee that I shot at KaZoo. Will those be available too? Reaaly liked the mass in the riser on those, and very smooth. Another great shooter just like Lee's bows, with a bit different design.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
I shot that bow at Lee's house before it left and was also impressed! Like Don says it is pretty dang smooth and seemed fast! Get some pics up Don and show that thing off, I love red and black! Congrats Batman

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
I shot one of the LB's in the rack, but I don't know if it was the new design, old design, or only design.  It was a good shooter, but didn’t blow me away.  I do plan to shoot it again to better judge.  I also shot the recurve and was real impressed with that.  I shot a 56”, but it was 5# under my weight so hard to say on how smooth it was.  I shot a 54” at my weight and it was a great shooting bow even at my draw length.  Real nice performance, quiet, calm in the hand on the shot, and no finger pinch I noticed.  I can’t wait to shoot these bows again.  The woods, stippling, and other details were great!
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
All who want to see it, Look down the page for John's Kalamazoo thread. It's the first bow pictured and is set up just like in the picture. DB

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
I am very interested in one of their bows.. I want a short recurve.. I mainly shoot a longbow but they make exactly what im looking for.. I wish I could shoot one..
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Well here's an update. I shot the new bow some today and with the help of my son William, we came up with an arrow and broadhead combo that shoots great and is very close to the grains per lb of my 47lb addiction. I tied to be more aware of the gap than I usually do and both bows seem to be hitting the mark with the same hold. Did this out to 40yds.We bareshafted to 20yds with great results.  Will was a big help as I tried not to overdo it with the jump up in weight. He shoots just as good as I do in our back yard and I trust him to say if he broke a good shot or not.

Arrow combo is cx 350 heritage shaft. full lenght with 213gns up front. total arrow wt is 662gns and I'm thinking between 160 and 170 fps. It rocks the target and not real easy to pull out either. They look kinda funny though. From nock to end of the abowyer head, they are 36 1/2 long. Who cares. If my bow breaks I can just string up one of my arrows. LOL

I'm heading down to hunt pigs again end of the month and hope to give it a real test then. Stay tuned. DB

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I've been wanting to head that way and stop by Johns for a while now but haven't had the time.  I consider myself lucky to be so busy cause if I get the time I'm certain I'll pick up another quiver and most likely one of those little recurves would end up coming home with me.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Good luck pig-stickin Don.

Kenneth, I have never been to John's shop we should load up and go one day, I promise not to talk you into one of those sweet shootin curves!!

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Chris,  that sounds like a plan; hopefully my schedule and account will look a little better this summer.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Malery Oxendine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Don you're not alone. I've been guilty of that myself. I know you will enjoy it and shoot well.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Ditto Don! Really enjoyed your visit! Hope that Addiction takes as many critters as your first Addiction! Hopefully next time you visit the shop, I'll have the other additions done. I'll try and post some pics of Batmans bow. Its a nice one!!!

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Pics We need pics!!
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
14 grns. per lb. and 170 fps. WOW!
Tom

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
I was hopin to poke a response from John with my post hint hint but I guess it didnt work,,,,,,, Oh well  :dunno:
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©