3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best One Piece Recurve  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Best One Piece Recurve
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Considering getting a one piece recurve and want to get something nice, I would appreciate you fellows opinions on who is making the better versions these days, I like more of a traditional 60's style but have always loved the Howatt Hunter types too. So anyone got some advise and even better pics and advise would love to see it.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best One Piece Recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
No pics. but ya can see them on their web-site. An RER Arroyo, been shooting one for 4 years now, very quick, very quiet and very pretty. Kevin and Sue will make you one of the best out there. There are others, but for me the Aroyo wins hands down, mine is 54"s which will handle 30" draw and 54#s at my 29" draw. Sweet easy shooters!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
If you like the traditional style, RER (Rivers Edge Recurves) make oldschool curves!

www.rerbows.com

Check out the sponsors here, small bar below 3 Rivers ad on top of page, a lot of good bowyers between them  :)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Check out Kohannah. Bob builds a great bow called the Kurve. That was the smoothest, sweetest recurve I have shot. I messed up however and lent it to my son, was just wonderin if it will ever come home.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
To date I have owned and shot custom one-piece recurves by: Blacktail, Wes Wallace, Rose Oak, Big River, Bruin, Rivers Edge Recurves, Black Widow. I have owned and shot production recurves mainly 1960-1974 vintage from Bear and Damon Howatt.

They are all nice bows but a few have really stood out from the rest.
The first was an early to mid-1960's 62" Howatt Monterey. The second a 1965 Bear Kodiak, the third, A Bruin "Huntmaster" recurve from the mid 1980's. My preference is for a bow that draws smoothly without stacking, is easy to make very quiet, and is stable in terms of its shooting characteristics. Speed isn't that big of an issue for me as I draw a recurve 32" and because of this they are all plenty fast.

Online CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
There are so many beautiful one piece recurves out there.
For me, it is the Silvertip, with a medium checkered grip 60", very quiet, smooth, spits an arrow!
Check out the Silvertip thread for pictures

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with any of the moder custom makers,I can add Rose Oak C.-Super Wildcat,the look of a kodiak the performances of the modern custom.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
there is a Quillian canebrake in the bow for sale section. I have one and I like it a lot... very fast bow

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
ST Joe River bows makes a good-un!

><>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
Lee hoots makes a nice short bow.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
The best of course is going to be up to you. However, you are getting lots of great one's listed by those who have owned them.

I've pictured two I currently have below. I'll be test-driving a Widow PA, God and UPS willing on Monday. All of these bows have 7 weeks-12 month wait times. If you want want quicker, there are usually some nice ones in the classifieds for terrific prices. If I were to buy a new one right now and wanted to spend in the $500 range instead of $900+, I'd give the new Bear SUPERK Green limb a looksee.

One I haven't owned but I'd bet is terrific is the Schafer 1-piece. There are lots of great pictures of these bows if you search "Schafer Pictures" you should find them.

I think another intrigueing 1-piece is by Chastain.

If you are a right-handed shooter be prepared for just a slightly less beautiful bow because the finest grains in exotic trees are always found on the "left side".  :)

Super Wildcat by Rose Oak - Great workmanship, Nuclear-SuperK, terrific bowyer. You'll take it for granted it shoots so easy and great.

Blacktail Elite VL: Distractingly beautiful bow, super nice grip --another great Bowyer.

Offline Swiftspeed10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Great plains archery makes a one piece recurve called the Texas Long Curve, its reallllyyyyyyyyy niceeeeeee
Benny
-------------------------------------------------------------
Centaur Glass 57# at 28" (58")
Sauk Trail Kenu 40# at 27" (52")--->waiting for build

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
...have always loved the Howatt Hunter types too....  [/QB]
I have owned two Hunters and shot another just last week. It was a 1972 with the curved riser accent. This particular Hunter was the nicest shooting Howatt I have ever shot and thats saying something. It was almost magical.

And boy, did it zip an arrow!

Everything old is new again...

Joshua, just sayin'
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
The very best one piece recurve for me is the one I have in my hand at any particular moment.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
I own two RER's a 60 in. take-down and a 60 in. Vortec. Both are quality bows for sure. I have shot the Arroyo, if I buy another new bow it will be the Arroyo 62 or 64in.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Consider Dan Toelke's 1 pc. Chinook, you can see some on his site:  www.montanabows.com,  click on "current inventory" then scroll down to "traditional recurves". Dan delivers a custom bow order in about 4 weeks t.y.d. and they are always beautifully crafted from beautiful woods. The Chinook is dead in the hand stable and like all Toelke bows QUIET! I have the advantage of a 29" draw and my 60", 54 lb.bow with a b50 dacron string chronographed a 565 grain arrow at 185 f.p.s. but it's even quieter than it is fast if that makes sense.

Offline free2bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I have a one piece Blacktail I bought used with the plan to sell it once my new three piece came in.  Haven't been able to let go.  I really don't need both but which one to part with is like deciding which front tooth to do without....

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I am partial to my 58" 1 piece Silvertip. It maneuvers very well from a tree stand and flat out shoots. I have had a couple of 60" 1 piece Tips that were nice but the 58" seems to perform better for me.

Another one to consider would be the Thunderstick Ramhorn. Rarely are they up for sale, very quick and dead silent. However there are a couple for sale now I believe on the classifieds board. I had a 58" and a 60" at one time, again--the 58" performed better for me.

If you can find a 62' Bear Koidak I think you would be pleasantly surprised as well. Good luck, there are quite a few choices.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Really like the looks of the new Bear Super Grizzly.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
The Great Northern Super Ghost has one of the most comfortable grips i've ever felt! It and it's brother the Ghost are fast, stable, and quiet...great bows!

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©