3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mohawk centercut  (Read 465 times)

Offline salemons

• Trad Bowhunter
Mohawk centercut
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I just got a 47# (45#) 66" T/D Mohawk from Terry that was Rob's once upon a time. Trying to use Stu's calculator and was wondering if anyone knows the center cut?
Quinn Stallion Classic 53#
Quinn Stingray 35# limbs
66" Mohawk T/D 45#

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mohawk centercut
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
I think it's 1/16th.
Marco

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
yes, 1/16" proud of center.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Hmmm, just measured mine and got a good 1/4" from the center of the limbs to where a 11/32 shaft touches the leather plate.  Mine is a 68" 45# @ 29".  30" 50/55 POC shafts with 125gr points shoot like bullets out of it.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
most bowyers will cut the arrow plate from centershot and on out, and some will go centershot negative.  for most bows, you can adjust the riser arrow plate to your liking with a rasp and sandpaper, use cya to seal and wipe on some clear coats ... or send it back for an adjustment.

having full centershot *might* mean the bow will be more tweakable for a wider range of arrow spine.  then again, mebbe not.  there are a lotta factors involved and even an elb shot off the knuckles is capable of great arrow flight once the right arrow/spine is found.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Not sure where my Mohawk shelf is cut to,  but I will say its a very spine tolerant "D" bow.   Mine is #50 @ 28 and so far it shoots any spine I have well.

Cedar 55/60, 60/65, CE 150's/250s.   I bare shafted the CE 150s, cut to 29.5 with 200 grain point,  they flew straight as a fletched shaft and were grouping with the fletched shafts at 15 yards.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
everybody's different.  that's what makes the world go 'round.

i fling carbons ranging from 35 to 75 pound spine outta my 'hawks and they all fly 'straight and true'.  dittos for woodies 45 to 70 pound spine.  other folks just can't do this.  why?  think about it.  what's the UNcommon denominator?  right - it's you.  dif'rent strokes fer dif'rent folks.  it's all good.

having an arrow shelf/plate cut to centershot means tweakability room for arrow spines and the way you shoot.  it's a good thing to think about if yer getting a custom bow built ... or a reason to take rasp, abrasive paper, and some clear coats to yer bow's riser shelf.   ;)

Offline mand0ralen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
hello,

on mine it's 1/16+ plate. It a 50@27 mohawk (i draw 27)

I use 45-50 Sitka at 28' BOP out of it with a 125 gr point, heavy cresting and 5 shield feathers (homemade low profile). great shot every time !

++M

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
everybody's different.  that's what makes the world go 'round.

i fling carbons ranging from 35 to 75 pound spine outta my 'hawks and they all fly 'straight and true'.  dittos for woodies 45 to 70 pound spine.  other folks just can't do this.  why?  think about it.  what's the UNcommon denominator?  right - it's you.  dif'rent strokes fer dif'rent folks.  it's all good.

having an arrow shelf/plate cut to centershot means tweakability room for arrow spines and the way you shoot.  it's a good thing to think about if yer getting a custom bow built ... or a reason to take rasp, abrasive paper, and some clear coats to yer bow's riser shelf.     ;)  
You want to be careful "Taking a rasp to yer bow shelf"  I think that would be a serious "void your warranty" issue with most bowyers. i would highly recommend sending it back for adjustment.

The thing to remember is that the weakest part of a bow riser is at the back of the shelf cut out. if this isn't done correctly with a nicely rounded corner, you can end up with a riser failure..... those are not fun either... food for thought... Kirk

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Sorry for being a little slow. Is the Mohawk cut 1/16" shy of center or 1/16" passed center?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Short of center.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Swamp Yankee ---Thank you!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Kind of a thread jump, but to second Rob's observation relative to different strokes for different folks, my 66 inch Mowhawk is 54 @ 30 inches of draw ( thanks again Mudd!!), LOVES 31 inch woodies, 73 pounds of spine with 145 grain heads on them.  They shoot as well as carbon, but are so much quieter.  I also use a skinny SBD string, 8 strand.  Very quiet and Very fast.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©