3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need a new bow: Mojo or Predator  (Read 717 times)

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I need a new bow: Mojo or Predator
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
My 3 year old Whisperstick Mojo somehow cracked and is now in a corner of the basement of no use. I really loved the bow and it shot awesome. I am thinking of ordering a new one, but have been reading real good things about the Pittsley Predator recurve. Anyone have a review of the Predator bow.?? Thanks, Scott
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need a new bow: Mojo or Predator
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
I have had both and like both a lot.  Do you want a light one pc. that is quiet with great looks, very good performance and fairly limitless wood options or a TD with more mass and stability plus top speed, but fewer custom wood options?  That is what it would come down to for me if picking between the two.  One nice thing about a TD is if you damage a limb you are not out a whole bow plus you have the option different limb lengths and weights with a TD.  Predator limbs come up for sale off and on, and most of them are interchangeable without fitting if made after a certain date.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Sent you a PM.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Totally agree with Todd. The Mojo is a very under rated bow with top of the line bow characteristics at a bargain price as you know. The predator is very similar to a PSA or PMA widow if you have shot one of them.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
I have 7 bows(I think), both recurve and longbows and beyond a doubt my favorites are my 2 predators  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
I shoot a predator, and it has been my best shooting bow to date.  (though the date is not that long).  The only issue I have with it was it was very critical of my form, if anything was off it was quick to tell me.  

But if you have solid consistent form, you won't want to shoot anything else.
1Peter 5:6,7

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
mojo for me , one of the best bows I have ever shot   :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Wow,  how did the Mojo crack?  From what I've seen,  they're built like tanks!

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Can't ya send the MOJO back for repairs ,, maybe ??

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
No hope for it. I talked to JD and sent him a picture. He offered me a deal on another one and I will probably take him up on it. Not sure how it split, from handle area upwards to the upper limb. I hadnt shot it for a couple months and about August I went to get it and it was ugly. Luckily I still had time to shoot my longbow and Super Kodiak, but still didn't kill anything. I only had 1 doe with the Mojo, but it smoked her. Guess I will put it up on the cabin wall...Scott

Offline Bow50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I have shot both a Mojo recurve one piece and several Predators. The Mojo was very smooth drawing and delivered an arrow accurate and quick. The 3 Predator risers and 5 sets of limbs I own are my favorites. Smoothness of the draw and speed are important to me. While I have never had a problem with any of my Predators, I have a friend who owned a Predator (bow) riser for several years and it developed a crack, he sent it back to the bowyer and recieved a new riser,for the cost of shipping.

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
I believe Extrema covered everything I could have typed.  Both awesome bow...both awesome boyers!  
I'm in the same dilema as I just recenty got a Voodoo stick and can't make up my mind if I want to pick up another in hunting weight  50# ish...or get a Mojo.  Outstanding light weight bows!  I'm sorry to hear about your issue, as I haven't heard of any issues w/ JD's bows.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Abbatoys,
Did you get my PM?

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
The PREDATORS are the best bows I have shot.

The only thing with them is they make the grip smaller on some and I love the larger one.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I haven't heard of many curve makers who haven't ever seen their bows come apart.  Usually user initiated, heat, banged up, improper stringing, etc.  Not always of course. But I am a friend of JD's and know that he doesn't get but a few back, and of those it is questionable how the damage happened.  Meaning...many times the shooter did something.  Of course I am not accusing you of anything, just saying that JD's bows are quite strong and the limbs of the curves are thicker than you would expect, at least not "floppy" feeling whatsoever.

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
I too am a friend of JD's and a friend of Mike from Predator. Both are great guys and build great bows. But, like Extrema said, they are compltely different. I have hunted and killed game with Mojos and Predators. I like the smoothness, stability, speed, and most of all- accuracy of the Predator. Yet JD's bows shoot where I look and are easy to carry in the woods. I have the prototype 56" Mojo, I worked hard to try and break that bow for JD, and couldnt do it. I shot 6 gpp arrows at blistering speeds. The bow was bulletproof. Its all a personal preference thing, I like them both.
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I haven't heard anything bad about JD's bow and I am not faulting him in any way. I have always kept it strung and hung up with the rest of my bows. Guess I should have been out shooting it all summer and not took a couple months off. I have no concerns about getting another bow from him. I wouldn't put my money into another bow if I wasn't confident in it. Love the speed and accuracy as well as the Zebrawood appearance. Scott

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by abbatoys:
I haven't heard anything bad about JD's bow and I am not faulting him in any way. I have always kept it strung and hung up with the rest of my bows. Guess I should have been out shooting it all summer and not took a couple months off. I have no concerns about getting another bow from him. I wouldn't put my money into another bow if I wasn't confident in it. Love the speed and accuracy as well as the Zebrawood appearance. Scott
I wasnt implying anything about you or your bow being bad. I was just stating what I liked about them. JD makes good stuff. Predators and Whisperstiks are two different animals. It seems to me that Whisperstiks are a more traditional 50's style bow. Where the Predators are a more modern traditional bow with all the best technology in manufacturing, with a ton of research into their limb design. They are super effiecient and all the other good stuff that goes along with "modern" built single string bow. JD builds all the bows himself in his own little shop. Like I said, they are completely different animals.
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
I have both bows -- they are quite different. The added mass of the predator, and additional speed gets my vote. I tend to be a little more accurate with the predator as well, good luck, Jerry.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
I just got back from Jim's (JD) house. I went there to plan the grip on a new 62" Mojo. I didn't even make it out of his house before I saw a hickory/osage bow he made. So it looks like I'm selling a bow and having Jim make me 2 Mojo's now. LOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©